E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VTT Tests Intake Manifolds: Round 1

01-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Performance View Post
Can you post a plot of both boost profiles overlaid for the heads?

Mauricio,

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but here is a quick gutted datazap overlay eyeballing boost/rpm. Don't pay attention to the title of the log, but you can see "ported boost" and "ported rpm" in the same log... it's close enough to see that we made the same/more power up top with less boost. Remember boost is a measure of restriction so the head is clearly flowing more.

This is my datazap account so there isn't much exciting going on there, but if you scrounge around in the VTT one you could do as much with other values as well.

http://www.datazap.me/u/scgt/log-148...-6-7&zoom=1-40

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #24
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Ok good stuff Chris. From what I'm seeing in the log is you guys are probably making more power with the ported head with 2psi less boost as you were able to break that 800whp barrier that before you guys were around 780whp. If the boost curves were kept like for like and you took advantage of the 2psi pressure lose improvement from the head, I think it's safe to say the head improvements can net at least 50whp improvement at this whp level as 2psi is a lot in improvement.

I agree boost is a measurement of restriction and porting the head valve bowls gets rid of most the pressure lose restriction in the runner freeing up 50cfm which seems like at least 2psi of lose removed at that whp air flow. for me what make sense is to keep the boost curves the same as airflow is freed up for that boost level due to reductions in restrictions. Also great improvements in torque and low/mid range. All around I think great improvements are had with porting the head and the GCs are working great.

Very good results. Shows me a ported head is very much worth it especially for high whp twins like the GCs pushed to the max or a big single. Great results and thanks for sharing! Also thank you for being civil and courteous with me in this discussion
Appreciate 0