E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help with Halos e92

07-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; BMW 435i; Ducati

Help with Halos e92

Hey guys,

I have an 08 e92, pre-lci.

A few days ago, my passenger halos went out. Fortunately, the previous owner left me a spare of the OEM halo bulbs. I opened the cover from up top on the headlight, swapped them, and it didn't light. Then, I changed the wire that connects, and still no light from the halos. So, I took the bulb and wire from the driver's side, and it still didn't work.

Pic below of the location I was replacing the halo bulb:

However, I started researching on Google and random BMW forums that came up and noticed that there's another section of the halos that's inside the fender well.

Picture for reference:

Is this why my halo isn't lighting up?
What part is this and how much from BMW (roughly)?

I looked at getbmwparts.com and couldn't find the part in the diagram. Can someone use the link and tell me the number?

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...=FRONT%20LAMPS

Greatly appreciated

UPDATE:

Well since no one has helped, I've been researching like mad and found out clues/info. from other sites.

1)
Apparently, you have to look at the sticker on top of the headlight. The BMW sticker on your headlights will state either "VAELO" or "ZKW"
2)
VALEO Part 63112179077
ZKW Part 63117161444
3)
Go to BMWPARTS.COM and for my car IT IS #11

LINK: http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...t=Light%20ring

I'm still not 100% sure this is the issue, but I've already eliminated the possibility they are the bulbs as I've swapped them and it didn't work on the passenger side.
If this doesn't work, then it's something much more serious...

Last edited by Arexander; 07-14-2015 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: UPDATE
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Is this what I'm going to need?
(It's shown at 1:45, but he doesn't say the part #):

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nuNNbIixE[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Hey i think your getting a bit confused there on what you need. The 1st picture you listed is the E92 coupe ( which you have) but all the other pictures are wrong. The rest of the pictures are for the E90 Sedan, so you don't need to worry about that at all.

The stock bulb for the angel eyes is a H8 bulb which you can get from BMW, or there are tons of aftermarket options out there. Are you sure the bulb you are trying to install is good? You also may want to check the fuses to see if anything is blown.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Yeah... the e92 and e90 sedan have different headlights, and different style bulbs. Buy some LUX halos and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Send us a pic from the top. There is a ground wire on the top that must be used. I believe it's a brown wire. It's common for people to break off. If it's not connected they won't light.

As lux mentioned your first image is E92 but the rest of the info was in regards to E90 sedan, which is different.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Hey i think your getting a bit confused there on what you need. The 1st picture you listed is the E92 coupe ( which you have) but all the other pictures are wrong. The rest of the pictures are for the E90 Sedan, so you don't need to worry about that at all.

The stock bulb for the angel eyes is a H8 bulb which you can get from BMW, or there are tons of aftermarket options out there. Are you sure the bulb you are trying to install is good? You also may want to check the fuses to see if anything is blown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
Yeah... the e92 and e90 sedan have different headlights, and different style bulbs. Buy some LUX halos and call it a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Send us a pic from the top. There is a ground wire on the top that must be used. I believe it's a brown wire. It's common for people to break off. If it's not connected they won't light.

As lux mentioned your first image is E92 but the rest of the info was in regards to E90 sedan, which is different.
@LuxAngelEyes: I am confused lol
I did swap the H8 bulb from driver to passenger. It didn't turn on the halo. Then, I swapped that wire (a black snap-on one), and nothing. Maybe you're right about the blown fuse. Time to Google that to see where the fuses are at. Lol.

@Jarronbwall: Don't want to spend $200+ for another pair of bulbs when I have back-up ones...

@Jeff@TopGearSolutions: I will do that in about 3 hours during my lunch break.

Thank you guys for informing me that the other pics are for the e90. I bought the jack pad from Burger Tuning just in case, but it looks like I won't be needing it now...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arexniba View Post
@LuxAngelEyes: I am confused lol
I did swap the H8 bulb from driver to passenger. It didn't turn on the halo. Then, I swapped that wire (a black snap-on one), and nothing. Maybe you're right about the blown fuse. Time to Google that to see where the fuses are at. Lol.

@Jarronbwall: Don't want to spend $200+ for another pair of bulbs when I have back-up ones...

@Jeff@TopGearSolutions: I will do that in about 3 hours during my lunch break.

Thank you guys for informing me that the other pics are for the e90. I bought the jack pad from Burger Tuning just in case, but it looks like I won't be needing it now...lol
I take back everything I said about it not being the bulbs...

Lol...I checked the fuse box, and did a quick search online for it. However, we don't have a specific fuse for the halos. I went back to the spares and started testing the 4x wires I had (from the brown & yellow wire to the H8 bulb) and only 2x worked. And out of the 4x H8 bulbs I had, just one worked.

Even that only working bulb wasn't really good. It had 4x small LED bulbs, and 2x were bright; whereas, the other small bulbs were fading.

Looks like I'll need to replace them soon. Currently, both headlights do not have the halos on.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arexniba View Post
I take back everything I said about it not being the bulbs...

Lol...I checked the fuse box, and did a quick search online for it. However, we don't have a specific fuse for the halos. I went back to the spares and started testing the 4x wires I had (from the brown & yellow wire to the H8 bulb) and only 2x worked. And out of the 4x H8 bulbs I had, just one worked.

Even that only working bulb wasn't really good. It had 4x small LED bulbs, and 2x were bright; whereas, the other small bulbs were fading.

Looks like I'll need to replace them soon. Currently, both headlights do not have the halos on.
Glad you got it figured out. Let me know if you need any help with a replacement.
Appreciate 0