E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 320i ECU replacement

11-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Mikex101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

E90 320i ECU replacement

After repeated moisture damage I think im in need of a new ECU for my 05 320i, Pulled it out and cleaned it up as best I could, Its working at the moment, but im not confident in it lasting long.

Im looking at options for replacing.

I assume buying a second hand unit on its own will need some recoding to work with Keys etc. Does anyone know of anyone in the north east that can do this?

Or is a better option to buy a second hand complete set. ECU's, keys etc? Bit longer to fit but wont need coding?

Whats your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

If it were me, I'd be inclined to attempt a repair on it myself. I doesn't sound like there is permanent damage. Dry it out fully and gently re-solder any corroded joints. reassemble and ensure it's sealed and watertight. If you are willing to go the replacement route, you've got nothing to lose surely?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Mikex101
Private First Class
Rep

Its a good point Telly Addict. Nothing to loose. Issue is, the ECU board it glued down on the carrier and knowing me id snap the bloody thing in half and be left carless.

I dried the sucker out last night and made an attempt to ensure no water can get back into the Ebox (worst designed thing ever!) cleaned it up with contact cleaner where I could.

I had a good go an it, but unsure how to stop the corrosion that's already set it.

Not jumping in to buying one, but I need to know the options if it goes tits up again.

Theres a place local to me that does a load of car electronics. Will run down and see if he can do anything with it in the mean time.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Yeah they are glued pretty well. I had to do a repair on my last car's ecu - you need to heat the casing up to loosen the glue, heat gun or oven work (plenty of guides on youtube).

Or you could have a look at this outfit: http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/...4046&model=465
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Mikex101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Addict View Post
Yeah they are glued pretty well. I had to do a repair on my last car's ecu - you need to heat the casing up to loosen the glue, heat gun or oven work (plenty of guides on youtube).

Or you could have a look at this outfit: http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/...4046&model=465
Ill have a look. never really trusted myself with electronics but don't really have that many options at the moment lol
Appreciate 0