E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension upgrade for 2011 335i w/ stock sport suspension

02-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
BradSamford
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i - Cobb AP Tune/FMIC

Suspension upgrade for 2011 335i w/ stock sport suspension

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my stock (sport) suspension on my E90 LCI 335i. I've been looking at the Koni yellow sport cup kit from ECS:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...its/ES2581691/

Vs. the Bilstein B-12 Pro-Kit from Turner etc..

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...n-package.aspx

This is my daily driver/escape from reality, spirited street driver. I am definitely looking for improved handling/sportier or "stiffer" feel more than lowering, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two kits. I've done quite a bit of research and I'm still torn, they are pretty much the same height etc..

Anyway any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Hey, like you I have a 2011 335i. I do allot of highway driving for work and have 130k on mine already. Felt it was time to refresh and at the same time look to upgrade effectively where I could. I decided against the coilover route because the long term cost of them are much greater on a high mileage driven car by a factor.

After months of research and test driving local cars with various setups, I went with the Bilstein B12 kit. It literally just arrived this week. Will be having it installed next week. I also purchased the Upper Front/Rear Strut Mount Kit from Turner Motorsports and just ordered the M3 Front Upper/Lower Set up along with Bilstein Front Sway Bar End Links from Sean at Offset. In speaking with Sean and Harold at HPA, I decided to hold off on my rear M3 parts as the original OEM ones have allot of life left in them still.

Can't wait to have everything installed.
      02-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
BradSamford
Registered
Rep

That is the direction I am leaning too, I just want to be sure the ride with the B12 kit will be a noticeable improvement over the stock sport suspension...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
BradSamford
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer
Hey, like you I have a 2011 335i. I do allot of highway driving for work and have 130k on mine already. Felt it was time to refresh and at the same time look to upgrade effectively where I could. I decided against the coilover route because the long term cost of them are much greater on a high mileage driven car by a factor.

After months of research and test driving local cars with various setups, I went with the Bilstein B12 kit. It literally just arrived this week. Will be having it installed next week. I also purchased the Upper Front/Rear Strut Mount Kit from Turner Motorsports and just ordered the M3 Front Upper/Lower Set up along with Bilstein Front Sway Bar End Links from Sean at Offset. In speaking with Sean and Harold at HPA, I decided to hold off on my rear M3 parts as the original OEM ones have allot of life left in them still.

Can't wait to have everything installed.
Actually that is dumb concern, the more I read. I think this is the way to go. I'm interested to see how your install goes, the stuff I've been reading about the aggressive front drop is somewhat concerning...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSamford View Post
That is the direction I am leaning too, I just want to be sure the ride with the B12 kit will be a noticeable improvement over the stock sport suspension...
I think you will find either setup to be a material improvement over the stock sport suspension.
      02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSamford View Post
Actually that is dumb concern, the more I read. I think this is the way to go. I'm interested to see how your install goes, the stuff I've been reading about the aggressive front drop is somewhat concerning...
The aggressive front drop is only a matter of concern if you choose more aggressive spring setup in either kit. In the B12 setup there are two different spring options. The Pro-Kit is the one you want as the Sportline has an aggressive front drop. There is a similar choice with the H & R springs in the Koni kit. I would not recommend the more aggressive kit in either setup as you will be rubbing and scraping all over the place.