E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod compatibility list?

12-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
xsi123
Rep
Drives: VW

Question iPod compatibility list?

Is there an iPod compatibility list?

My 1st generation iPod nano is not recognized by a 2011 328 iDrive (Nov. 2010 build). I am using just the 30-pin/USB cable. The iPod screen shows "Do not disconnect" and it looks like it is charging but there is nothing in the CD->External Devices on the iDrive.

Using the same cable with an iPhone 3G, it is working fine. So it is not the cable and probably it is not the iDrive but I am not sure on this.

The iPod works fine stand-alone and syncs with a PC and Mac without issues.

The plan is to use an iPod just for the car. I understand there are other options like burning a CD/DVD with MP3s or load the files in the Hard Drive. However since I load/change music often, I prefer the iPod method

So, is there an iPod compatibility list for the latest iDrive? If not, I was thinking to spend $50 to get an iPod shuffle. The new shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin connector but it is using the head-speakers jack to connect to a USB. Anyone tried an iPod shuffle with the iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
birdman325
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '02 325Xi -> '11 328i Touring

I have a similar issue with my older 30gb ipod colour (the first generation colour ipod). I connect it to the USB connector between the seats and I get the message "do not disconnect" but it does not get recognized by the car. My ipod Touch works fine in the car. I was planning on just leaving the old 30gb in the car on a permanent basis but that no longer seems to be an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

interested

I just got a 2011 328i xDrive as well. My iPod touch (2nd Generation, iOS 4.2.1) works fine save for one thing. If I leave it connected, shut off the car, and come back, the iPod starts back up where it left off fine, but the iDrive display is messed up. Sometimes it doesn't show the other songs in the playlist, sometimes it shows all the songs in the playlist alphabetically. All the while, it's playing the right songs, in the right order.

If I take the iPod with me, and reconnect it, everything seems to work fine, starts back up where it left off and properly displays the current playlist.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
xsi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman325 View Post
I have a similar issue with my older 30gb ipod colour (the first generation colour ipod). I connect it to the USB connector between the seats and I get the message "do not disconnect" but it does not get recognized by the car. My ipod Touch works fine in the car. I was planning on just leaving the old 30gb in the car on a permanent basis but that no longer seems to be an option.
I am wondering if these old iPods need the Y BMW iPod cable to work. Unfortunately I don't have one to test it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
I just got a 2011 328i xDrive as well. My iPod touch (2nd Generation, iOS 4.2.1) works fine save for one thing. If I leave it connected, shut off the car, and come back, the iPod starts back up where it left off fine, but the iDrive display is messed up. Sometimes it doesn't show the other songs in the playlist, sometimes it shows all the songs in the playlist alphabetically. All the while, it's playing the right songs, in the right order.

If I take the iPod with me, and reconnect it, everything seems to work fine, starts back up where it left off and properly displays the current playlist.
I've got the same annoying things with mine. I guess it's just one of those things they wil leventually get around to updating, like the "6-fl switching" problem in the early models.
      01-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsi123 View Post

My 1st generation iPod nano is not recognized by a 2011 328 iDrive (Nov. 2010 build). I am using just the 30-pin/USB cable. The iPod screen shows "Do not disconnect" and it looks like it is charging but there is nothing in the CD->External Devices on the iDrive.
Are you sure the nano is formatted for "Windows" (vfat), not "Mac" (hfs)? If you're using the USB cable the iPod is just a mass storage device, so it only works if the car understands the filesystem on the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
xsi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
Are you sure the nano is formatted for "Windows" (vfat), not "Mac" (hfs)? If you're using the USB cable the iPod is just a mass storage device, so it only works if the car understands the filesystem on the iPod.
1) How can I check what format my iPod nano has? I just connect it with my Mac and sync with iTunes. I never formatted in any specific way.

2) Since my iPhone 3G is recognized by the iDrive, does this means that it is formatted for Windows?

3) I am trying to use the iPod nano as iPod and not as mass storage. I am looking to control it with the iDrive, including Playlists etc. The iPhone 3G is working exactly as expected.

4) "...If you're using the USB cable the iPod is just a mass storage device...". Other than the 30-pin/USB cable, what cable should I use? Post-September 2010 build models should not need the Y BMW cable. Maybe I am wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

My iPod is completely controlled by the iDrive, and very well, including album art, with only the standard 30 pin cable (btw, radtech makes some nice shorter cables).

I've found that if I switch the car to radio before I turn it off, when I come back and switch from radio to iPod, it's working fine.

It has to be a startup issue. I think the car remembers that it's on the xth song in the list, but forgets what playlist it is in, so it just displays the default info or something. Like it's in USB mode to start, vs iPod mode...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
I've found that if I switch the car to radio before I turn it off, when I come back and switch from radio to iPod, it's working fine.
Thanks for the tip, I am trying this tomorrow

I actually look forward to when the entire song list goes away and you're just left with the 1 current song and no others. I am glad you posted this
      01-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Thanks for the tip, I am trying this tomorrow

I actually look forward to when the entire song list goes away and you're just left with the 1 current song and no others. I am glad you posted this
You're welcome, heh, I get that one sometimes too... Let me know if it works for you, I haven't tested it extensively, it's worked a couple of times...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
1) How can I check what format my iPod nano has? I just connect it with my Mac and sync with iTunes. I never formatted in any specific way.
Now that you mention it... I don't know! iTunes for Mac used to give you the option of format when doing a restore, but I haven't done it in a while. If you iPod shows up in Disk Utility, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Quote:
2) Since my iPhone 3G is recognized by the iDrive, does this means that it is formatted for Windows?
I'd expect as much. They come from the factory as fat32.

Quote:
3) I am trying to use the iPod nano as iPod and not as mass storage. I am looking to control it with the iDrive, including Playlists etc. The iPhone 3G is working exactly as expected.

4) "...If you're using the USB cable the iPod is just a mass storage device...". Other than the 30-pin/USB cable, what cable should I use? Post-September 2010 build models should not need the Y BMW cable. Maybe I am wrong though.
Ah, this might be the kicker. I don't know how universal the new "works like an iPod with only the USB cable" functionality is. The older Y-Cable used serial to control the iPod, which was a very mature command interface.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I believe the bmw website has a compatibility list. As far as how often its updated, your guess is as good as mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
xsi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
I believe the bmw website has a compatibility list. As far as how often its updated, your guess is as good as mine.
Couldn't find anything. Can you point to a link?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
xsi123
Rep

Just an update: BMW NA says the last iPod compatibility list they have is for the 2008 models. After that, there is no compatibility list.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
xsi123
Rep

UPDATE: Went to the dealer and tested my 1st gen nano with the BMW Y cable and it worked. Music loads on the iDrive and you can control the iPod but the music goes through the stereo jack in the AUX port.

Dealer also had a 2nd and 3rd gen iPod nano. The 2nd gen nano worked with the Y cable but not with just the 30-pin/USB cable. The 3rd gen nano worked with just the 30-pin/USB cable.

So, it looks like the new iDrive doesn't support the 1st an 2nd gen nano without the Y cable.

Dealer wanted $80 for the stupid cable. Anyone knows where to get it for a good price? On eBay there are a few but they are not OEM so I just don't trust they will work.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Couldn't find anything. Can you point to a link?
Sorry, I dont have email updates for this site. I should turn it back on.

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...Sept_10_EN.PDF
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
xsi123
Rep

Thank you Tzu,

however this looks like a phone/bluetooth compatibility list and not an iPod list. No matter the case, it is a good link to have. It looks like it was updated Sep. 2010.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
e90wpg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Here is the list that I found, it is from 2008.
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/_teaserpool/...s_June__08.pdf
I have a 2nd gen Nano and it only plays some of the songs. I am using the apple cable, not the BMW one in my 09 328i.
Interestingly, I found the following on the list on pg.2:
"Apple iPods are generally supported from the 4th generation onward, including the iPod nano, iPod mini, iPod Touch, and iPhone. The Click Wheel is the identifying feature of 4G devices and later. Older models have a scroll wheel or touch wheel and are not supported."
I guess it's time I get a new ipod?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
CTarna
BMW Owner Since 1993
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Great post, thanks. I tried my very old 8GB iPod Mini and I got nowhere. This iPad is too big to fit anywhere, but I have an old iPhone 3G which I will try to use as an iPod tomorrow.

Charlie T.
Appreciate 0