E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All of these aFe dynos & complaints ............ ?

09-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08/JB/E92

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
All of these aFe dynos & complaints ............ ?

Just an FYI and some venting on my part .......

This forum and the majority (well many recently) of its user's is/are so easily swayed that I couldn't read another thread without venting and maybe setting the record straight from my perspective.

When these aFe dual cone intakes first came out I was one of the first to have received, installed and independantly dyno'd my car with both the aFe intake as well as the stock intake.

At the time of my dyno I had put well over 100 miles on the car w/ the aFe intake installed. The car was well adapted within the first 50 miles. Now conditions at the time of the dyno were nowhere near ideal however, my car still showed a substantial gain in both hp and tq. Not to mention, the power curve showing the most noticeable gain was exactly where aFe advertises it to be.

I'm sure I didn't give enough time in between runs for the stock intake to adapt so maybe in the future this along with cooler weather will warrant another dyno.

Since "dyno day" I have also installed the swoop scoops which to my surprise do actually contribute to the performance of the aFe intake.

As a matter of fact, after initially installing the aFe intake my fuel mileage had improved from 27.4 mpg to 28.3 mpg hwy and actually decreased about the same difference within city driving (obviously more enjoyable driving ).

The swoop scoops were added about 3-4 weeks ago and added a seemingly more aggressive attitude to the intake. I recently took the car on a road trip to Pittsburgh, PA from Chattanooga, TN and to my surprise averaged 30.4 mpg. Nearly 700 miles each way through mainly mountainous regions. I've made this trip several other times and have NEVER achieved mileage like this. This tells me the car isn't working as hard anymore and the improved performance from the aFe intake (likely the combination of the intake and scoops) has more than justified the cost incurred.

So, to those of you who feel like you were cheated with either the cost of the intake or the advertised gains aFe claims ......... what can I say. Noone is going to have the same performance gains, dyno results or even satisfaction. I personally wouldn't go back to the stock intake or even the Logic Motorsports CAI I had on before the current aFe. Actually, the Logic intake seemed to give me instantly improved throttle response and torque ........ the aFe intake improved on this all over again.

Look at my dyno results ...http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...afe+dyno+dinan...... hood closed, inadequate "wind", 97 degree heat, no "scoops" and still gains w/ a dry filter setup. Higher gains with the oiled version? Possibly. Probably.

Yes, I have a tune and an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe this causes the intake to work a bit harder thus improving overall performance. I believe this to be true in my case.

When these filters first came out it was the most talked about intake system available. Take a look at all the threads relating to aFe within the past couple of months. Independant dynos ........... the "sound" ...... the "look" .........gains advertised/claimed...... I was reading and salivating along with most everyone else . I'll admit I am one of the more discerning and/or skeptical users on this forum but, I am sold on the intake being what I expected and surpassing what expectations I initially had.

It's so easy to buy into the hype on these boards ........ more educating before complaining would be a nice change of pace.

I just needed to vent and state MY humble OPINION and experiences.

Last edited by mnkybiznes; 09-12-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
dadasracecar
Banned
Rep
Drives: '06 Mazdaspeed6

Just nitpicking here but the AFE is an SRI or short ram intake. A CAI is a cold air intake and would indicate position of the filter outside of the engine bay - where the colder air would be. The box around the AFE probably mitigates some of the heatsoak but it would never be as good as a true CAI.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasracecar View Post
Just nitpicking here but the AFE is an SRI or short ram intake. A CAI is a cold air intake and would indicate position of the filter outside of the engine bay - where the colder air would be. The box around the AFE probably mitigates some of the heatsoak but it would never be as good as a true CAI.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

too many closed minded whiney band wagon jumpers on here...
      09-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
No complaints with my afe here either
      09-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasracecar View Post
The box around the AFE probably mitigates some of the heatsoak but it would never be as good as a true CAI.
Are you saying that placement of the AFE contributes to heatsoak of the intercooler?
      09-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Totally happy with mine also, looks, sounds and feels great!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Wow! Thank you, mnkybiznes. We appreciate your post, your dyno, your observations, and your honesty. Yes, like Shiv said in another thread, some ppl are way too easily influenced by just one post or one dyno. It's ridiculous that after one "bad" dyno, a significant portion of the masses quickly panics and it's "sell, sell, sell." Then, when a "good" dyno is posted, it's "buy, buy, buy." Thank God these guys aren't running Wall Street (although some of them could be seeing how the Market is going lately ).

btw -- my car has never felt stronger than with the aFe intake (as compared with the oem stock intake + the oem air filter, ITG air filter or BMC air filter); I really think the aFe DCI is helping my car to breathe a bit better and although I have not dyno'd, I wouldn't be surprised if I would see a ~ +10-15WHP/TQ gain. I am, however, planning on adding the SwoopScoops next week...just b/c I figure they can't hurt.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 09-11-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Wow! Thank you, mnkybiznes. We appreciate your post, your dyno, your observations, and your honesty. Yes, like Shiv said in another thread, some ppl are way too easily influenced by just one post or one dyno. It's ridiculous that after one "bad" dyno, a significant portion of the masses quickly panics and it's "sell, sell, sell." Then, when a "good" dyno is posted, it's "buy, buy, buy." Thank God these guys aren't running Wall Street (although some of them could be seeing how the Market is going lately ).

btw -- my car has never pulled more with the oem stock intake (either with the oem air filter, ITG air filter or BMC air filter); I really think the aFe DCI is helping my car to breathe a bit better and although I have not dyno'd, I wouldn't be surprised if I would see a ~ +10-15WHP/TQ gain. I am, however, planning on adding the SwoopScoops next week...just b/c I figure they can't hurt.
I appreciate your comments as well as the other comments posted above. I would certainly hate to have the headaches of the vendors in dealing with forums such as this one ............. which by the way ROCKS!!

BTW sflgator ............ add the scoops and you'll understand my reference to " more aggressive attitude".
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
ericsmc83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i MT

Nice write up. I can also attest to the increase in gas mileage. I did my most spirited driving with the car since I bought it while I had the aFe installed, and the lifetime gas mileage still increased a good 0.5mpg.
2008 E92 MT | VTT Stage 2+ 20T | VTT Inlets | JB4 MHD E85 | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP w/FPR and Return | BMS PI | AR DP | AE Quad Exhaust | Helix FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | DCI | AR OCC | Spec Stage 3+ | SMFW
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
ScoopThis
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Yes, like Shiv said in another thread, some ppl are way too easily influenced by just one post or one dyno.
He was probably referring to the mentality that lead so many people to purchase the afe intake in the first place. The same cattle mentality that drove people in to the V2, and so many other performance products, for better or worse. There is little to gain and much to lose by being among the first to purchase a new part.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
ScoopThis
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkybiznes View Post
It's so easy to buy into the hype on these boards ........ more educating before complaining would be a nice change of pace.
Not that there is any intent behind this, but in the thread you reference there is only one chart for the afe dyno. Yet three charts for the stock airbox dyno. What were the numbers on the other two afe dynos? Would help give a fuller picture of the differences. If they are all within 1-2hp it adds credibility to the test. If they are wildly variant, it takes away credibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopThis View Post
Not that there is any intent behind this, but in the thread you reference there is only one chart for the afe dyno. Yet three charts for the stock airbox dyno. What were the numbers on the other two afe dynos? Would help give a fuller picture of the differences. If they are all within 1-2hp it adds credibility to the test. If they are wildly variant, it takes away credibility.
I understand your valid point. The truth is I'm not sure why the charts show inconsistencies with regard to incomplete patterned runs. I know at some point that the tech had forgotten to do things on the pc in between changing the intakes and what not and so I wrote it off to his error. As for the credibility of the numbers/runs shown; the more runs that the car was put through the more the numbers declined. It was nearly impossible to get the car to cool down enough just to change the intakes. There really wasn't any point in trying to control the situation.

I had never witnessed the dyno process before that day and was somewhat oblivious as to what should or shouldn't have happened that day. The charts I posted were the only charts I was able to retrieve from the tech. With changing intakes and the number of runs that day he had forgotten to record/print some of the runs. The guy knew his stuff with regard to the installations back and forth ......... beyond that was pushing it.

I believe the runs missing were 2 or 3 during the adaptation of the aFe from the stock intake for the 3rd set. There were so many variables out of whack that day that I felt fortunate to have gotten the charts I did. None the less, there is a solid increase in hp & tq.

Another day another dyno ..........
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
He was probably referring to the mentality that lead so many people to purchase the afe intake in the first place. The same cattle mentality that drove people in to the V2, and so many other performance products, for better or worse. There is little to gain and much to lose by being among the first to purchase a new part.
No, you're wrong; he was referring to those that jumped ship on the aFe DCI so quickly. I've known Shiv since 9/06, and btw - Shiv and Terry also sell their own DCIs, both of which have also shown gains on dynos. There's a reason that Shiv provides 3 separate v3 maps -- stage 0 (v3 + oem stock intake), stage 1 (v3 + open intake) and stage 2 (v3 + open intake + DPs).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
ScoopThis
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No, you're wrong; he was referring to those that jumped ship on the aFe DCI so quickly. I've known Shiv since 9/06, and btw - Shiv and Terry also sell their own DCIs, both of which have also shown gains on dynos. There's a reason that Shiv provides 3 separate v3 maps -- stage 0 (v3 + oem stock intake), stage 1 (v3 + open intake) and stage 2 (v3 + open intake + DPs).
Most agree the dual cones are the way to go. Afe came in with a twist on the dual cones (adding the heat shield but making the filters smaller, changing the placement, and adding a bend or two to the piping), which everyone jumped on even though that design is yet to be proven. It may be just as good as the dual cone, may be better, or may be worse. The cattle assumed it was better, and now they realized the folly in making assumptions and are rushing to sell or validate their purchases. The verdict is still out on it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #16
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Most agree the dual cones are the way to go. Afe came in with a twist on the dual cones (adding the heat shield but making the filters smaller, changing the placement, and adding a bend or two to the piping), which everyone jumped on even though that design is yet to be proven. It may be just as good as the dual cone, may be better, or may be worse. The cattle assumed it was better, and now they realized the folly in making assumptions and are rushing to sell or validate their purchases. The verdict is still out on it in my opinion.
I think there may be a verdict soon as a few more guys will dyno (mostly tuned 335i's with an without) the aFe DCI.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Actually there has been more than one negative dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Actually there has been more than one negative dyno.
And more than one good one too, but more will come. Since there's such controversy about this and b/c so many ppl are still running with the aFe DCI, I think we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
And more than one good one too, but more will come. Since there's such controversy about this and b/c so many ppl are still running with the aFe DCI, I think we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
andyfly01
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 '07 Coupe Montego Blue

I second what mkbybiznes is saying. He's done a great job for us doing the dynos.

I have the AFE Intake and the SSTT. Here are two definates:

1. Car accelerates more with the two combined.
2. I've seen my highway MPG increase before the two mods, 27-29 MPG, after it is 29-32 with AC On
3. City driving remains unchanged, if not decrease, but that's because I end up flooring it more often. I think the SSTT and AFE is a great combo.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #21
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfly01 View Post
I second what mkbybiznes is saying. He's done a great job for us doing the dynos.

I have the AFE Intake and the SSTT. Here are two definates:

1. Car accelerates more with the two combined.
2. I've seen my highway MPG increase before the two mods, 27-29 MPG, after it is 29-32 with AC On
3. City driving remains unchanged, if not decrease, but that's because I end up flooring it more often. I think the SSTT and AFE is a great combo.

Andy
Thanks Andy and ............ thanks to everyone else for posting!

I'm glad to see other's with positive results using the aFe filters.

Wow, I just read through this thread and feel like I should be a spokesman for aFe ............. nah.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
ScoopThis
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think there may be a verdict soon as a few more guys will dyno (mostly tuned 335i's with an without) the aFe DCI.
The irony here is dynoing with the hood open isn't really going to prove anything... That this intake didn't "knock it out of the park" with the hood open is the real cause for concern. We all know on the road with the hood closed things will change, the ratio of hot air to "fresh air" will look more like the traditional dual cone.

You went ~111mph with your stock intake right? Why not go do a few runs on the same maps with your new intake?
Appreciate 0