E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reset brake pad warning light on 335i?

06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #45
GBRacing
Club Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
Figured it out!

Push start button twice with the foot off the back and clutch....when check control image disappears and all that is left is current time on the LCD panel of the instrument cluster, press and hold the odometer reset button. After a few seconds, a yellow icon will show up showing that you have service indicator light on. Push and hold the "BC" button of the turn signal stalk until it states "Reset?" let go of the button and push the button back in and hold, a little clock will come up, once the clock graphic besides the reset goes away let go. Turn the car off and resart as normal. The brake light service indicator has now been reset.

dolby
This worked for me after the 10th try. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #46
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

sorry to bring up an old thread but my gf's e92 335 had the same lights you guys are referring to. What ended up happening was one of the clips that are on the "upper guide support? or upper a arm?" broke and so there was just enough slack for the cable to start hitting the nipple of the brake bleeder. I believe during bumpy travel it might have even been caught on the other side of the nipple putting strain on the wire.

Purchased a new sensor and installed... then taped the broken clamp that holds the wire nicely and then fed the cable through the nipple cover because it looked as if someone might have forgotten to do that on the last trip to stealership. Hopefully it holds, but it is def worth a look to pull your wheel off and inspect the cable.
And.... Our daily beater, twinky truck .
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
Saintor
Banned
Rep

I don't rely on sensors any. I cut them and taped the wires together. The front sensor came with too early and the pads are still 3/16". I am ok until the end of this year.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #48
Willu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N43 320i Coupe M Spor

Hello,
I changed both the rear brake pads and sensor about 63 km ago (40 mls ago) and have just followed your instructions to reset the brake pad warning light. Upon successful reset, this changed from 1,000 km (620 mls) to 8,000 km (4,970 mls). Is this normal??
I would have expected the reset to make it to around 30,000 mls.

I did the same for the oil which I just changed (with the filter) and the reset made it 23,000 km (14,290 mls).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #49
Willu
Registered
Rep

Anyone out there?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #50
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willu View Post
Anyone out there?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My recommendation is to rely on km only for the oil. For the pads, just do quarterly visual inspections; this notification system doesn't work very well. But I don't see why it should reset to 8000km anyway. I'd try it again. There is also the brakes oil flush every 2 years but I think that it is on a different notification.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #51
Willu
Registered
Rep

Thanks a lot.

Could this be due to the fact that I did the reset after about 60km of driving further to changing the pads and sensor?

A couple of guys did say that theirs reset to 6000 mls and then took a couple of days to calibrate to the correct distance on its own. I am still waiting to see if this happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #52
Likwid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M5

My rear brake pad warning light came on yesterday, complete with the little "car on a lift" and gongs when starting the car. Very annoying! I tried resetting the light, and every time I would reset it, the display would show "-15000". I ordered a full set (front and rear) Hawk HPS pads online, then I checked the pads...DOH! They look brand new! I searched this forum, and after reading this thread, I called Napa and ordered a rear brake sensor cable, which was $26. They had it for me in a couple hours, so I picked it up on the way home from work. It took about 15 minutes to install. After installing it, I reset the rear brake pads in the dash, and it showed "31000" and the red light went out.

Long story short...I bought the car 8,000 miles ago, and someone must have replaced the pads and not the sensor. Now I have $155 worth of pads on the way that I don't need. I guess I will eventually need them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #53
CEBALL
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willu View Post
Hello,
I changed both the rear brake pads and sensor about 63 km ago (40 mls ago) and have just followed your instructions to reset the brake pad warning light. Upon successful reset, this changed from 1,000 km (620 mls) to 8,000 km (4,970 mls). Is this normal??
I would have expected the reset to make it to around 30,000 mls.

I did the same for the oil which I just changed (with the filter) and the reset made it 23,000 km (14,290 mls).

Thanks
Hi,

I got this problem too, changed front pads and sensor today and similarly upon reset it changed from 1000 mls to 9000 mls. Did yours sort itself out?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
hermond
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I can see much confusion on the brake change procedure and it took me awhile. The brakes are very simple to replace. Don't fear it, get your pads (rear for $35.00), check your rotors and YES change the wear sensor (rear $9.00) or you will run into the red car on lift, red brake light and the _ _ _ _ in the mileage display. Once you do this follow the odometer/BC reset process and you'll be good to go. I tried to get by without changing the sensor to save time... well that was a mistake and they are very easy to change! Good luck and don't be afraid because it's a BMW.

2007 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #55
Tat08
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
Figured it out!

Push start button twice with the foot off the back and clutch....when check control image disappears and all that is left is current time on the LCD panel of the instrument cluster, press and hold the odometer reset button. After a few seconds, a yellow icon will show up showing that you have service indicator light on. Push and hold the "BC" button of the turn signal stalk until it states "Reset?" let go of the button and push the button back in and hold, a little clock will come up, once the clock graphic besides the reset goes away let go. Turn the car off and resart as normal. The brake light service indicator has now been reset.

dolby
thanks! it works! my red brake light is gone!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #56
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
I figured it out (in line at Taco Bell drive through)! With the car running I pressed and held the odo reset button. Then the service warning light that was due showed up in the display. While continuing to press the odo reset button I pressed and held the BC button simutaneously. Then I simply flipped through the the icons that needed to be reset and pressed and held the BC button while a little clock showed up next to the word reset. A check mark then appeared and I scrolled to the next due warning light and did the same. I shut the car off and then restarted it and all the lights were gone!
Tried this on my sister's car and it worked: vehicle : 2007 328i 2dr coupe (e92 automatic)

1. with engine running
2. press and hold odometer
3. service light will appear (yellow triangle)
4. while still pressing odometer press the BC button on the turn signal stalk
5. navigate to desired reset function such as brakes by pressing the BC button
6. to reset, press and hold BC button
7. a rotating hand of a clock will appear
8. press BC button again and a check mark in a box will appear
9. turn off/on engine to confirm that indicator light has been reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #57
zasboy
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328I

I'm having the same problem with the "----" for the mileage. I'm going to try the suggestions that was mentioned earlier, disconnect/reconnect the sensor, and hope that works.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #58
WifesCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: silver

Cut the wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I don't rely on sensors any. I cut them and taped the wires together. The front sensor came with too early and the pads are still 3/16". I am ok until the end of this year.
Hi Saintor, so you just cut the sensor wire and that is it. I would do this for front and back then. I wonder how the sensor works, then, I assumed it was live and when it wore off some material, it triggered, but if you can connect them and stop the light, then it must be the other way around?

I can not get the brake setting to come up on our car. It is a 2006 BMW 330Cic. It uses a key to start, it does not have the engine start button. The BC button is on the stalk, but there is no scroll wheel on the stalk to switch between screens.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #59
96GS#007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I'll add one more to the thread...

E90 335i auto with I-Drive. Brake mileage showed _ _ _ _ and I had the brake light as well as red car on the lift.

- I tried re-setting multiple times and multiple ways as described in this thread. Nope
- I tried unplugging the old sensors and plugging in again. Nope
- Bought and installed new sensors. Did the reset procedure...Bingo!

FWIW
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #60
heiltrading
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why does the front and rear brake light come on at the same time??? I changed my front pads and rotors used the old sensor and tried to reset the brake light as discussed in this thread. No luck I am going to order wear sensors but i do not know if i should replace front and rear or just the front. I inspected the rear pads and they look like 50 wear remaining....

I assume the dealer triggers a full brake replacement at specified miles and or trigger of wear sensor...just wondering which one i triggered to get both front and rear to have the yellow triangle in the Idrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #61
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast06 View Post
I figured it out (in line at Taco Bell drive through)! With the car running I pressed and held the odo reset button. Then the service warning light that was due showed up in the display. While continuing to press the odo reset button I pressed and held the BC button simutaneously. Then I simply flipped through the the icons that needed to be reset and pressed and held the BC button while a little clock showed up next to the word reset. A check mark then appeared and I scrolled to the next due warning light and did the same. I shut the car off and then restarted it and all the lights were gone!
love this forum lol...With car running as you described it worked for me. Thanks a mil
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #62
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

hi, i just want to thank to the forum, this thread was what I needed as I had to change pads and sensor in the rear of my 130i today. everything went perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #63
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Worked for me after 2 tries...reset to 50K
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #64
gatorheel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 n54

This method works. Had to type it out in a logical manner b/c I didnt see any posts that were acceptable to me.

1. unlock
2. open door
3. close door
4. key in ignition
5. push start button (no need to start car)
6. wait until clock appears on display
7. push and hold reset odo button until yellow triangle appears)
8. push and hold BC button (before the yellow triangle disappears)

NOTE: After a few seconds of holding both BC & reset odo, the display changes again. You will now be in the mode you need to be in (shows service indicators and times/miles)

9. At this point you can use the up and down (on stick the BC button is on) to cycle through and reset applicable service lights. In order to reset, hold BC button until reset occurs. Done.
      09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #65
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
Tried this on my sister's car and it worked: vehicle : 2007 328i 2dr coupe (e92 automatic)

1. with engine running
2. press and hold odometer
3. service light will appear (yellow triangle)
4. while still pressing odometer press the BC button on the turn signal stalk
5. navigate to desired reset function such as brakes by pressing the BC button
6. to reset, press and hold BC button
7. a rotating hand of a clock will appear
8. press BC button again and a check mark in a box will appear
9. turn off/on engine to confirm that indicator light has been reset.
After trying different ways,this one worked for me (2006 318) Thanks. Replaced pads,discs,sensor.. Says 26,000 miles now ..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #66
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

^ this will be handy for me in another week when I replace all 4 rotors / pads / and 2 sensors!