E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

12-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #353
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simes333 View Post
Hi There, I have the same issue with 2 wheels, what is your dealer called? I am with Snows and hoping for the same result you had!
Scothall, Leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
When you say 'taking each case of broken wheels on their own merit' do you mean they'll look at what tyres you had on? What tyres did you have pjs when they cracked?
Probably, I've got Bridgstone RFT's on. I also have heard (unofficially) that if a car has been bought outside a dealer network then you'd struggle because the traders are known for swapping wheels about.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #354
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Cheers PJS. Mine was bought nearly new from a BMW dealer. I wonder if they'd have changed it FOC if you had Non rft's. I was thinking of changing to non RFT but I think I won't bother now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #355
paulg1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport - 58 plate

Afternoon all,

New poster here and, unsurprisingly by the looks of this thread, I'm here due to a cracked alloy on my BMW 320i.

I have a 58 plate BMW 320i M Sport with the standard specification only. Nothing has been changed on it apart from new tyres about 8 weeks ago, which were needed due to wear on them.

I replaced the tyres with Pirelli PZero run flats.

Anyway, about a week ago, I got the tyre pressure warning light came on so I rang BMW. They advised me to pump them up and reset the pressure gauge and see what happens. I did this and unsurprisingly, the pressure warning light came on again.

I took my car to the National tyre centre, which is approximately 30m from my front door and expected to have to buy a new tyre due a puncture. They called me back this morning and said that I did not have a puncture but the loss of air and pressure from the tyre was down to a cracked alloy on the inside, which had damaged the tyre.

In short, do I stand any hope in hell of getting the wheels replaced by BMW? This is not the first time that an alloy has cracked but last time they just told me about it and replaced it.

Secondly, is there any chance that they will replace the damaged tyre seeing as though it was the cracked alloy that caused the damage?

Slim chances I presume but you never know and I apologise if this has been covered thoughout the vast number of pages in this thread but I do not have the time to read through all of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #356
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
Afternoon all,

New poster here and, unsurprisingly by the looks of this thread, I'm here due to a cracked alloy on my BMW 320i.

I have a 58 plate BMW 320i M Sport with the standard specification only. Nothing has been changed on it apart from new tyres about 8 weeks ago, which were needed due to wear on them.

I replaced the tyres with Pirelli PZero run flats.

Anyway, about a week ago, I got the tyre pressure warning light came on so I rang BMW. They advised me to pump them up and reset the pressure gauge and see what happens. I did this and unsurprisingly, the pressure warning light came on again.

I took my car to the National tyre centre, which is approximately 30m from my front door and expected to have to buy a new tyre due a puncture. They called me back this morning and said that I did not have a puncture but the loss of air and pressure from the tyre was down to a cracked alloy on the inside, which had damaged the tyre.

In short, do I stand any hope in hell of getting the wheels replaced by BMW? This is not the first time that an alloy has cracked but last time they just told me about it and replaced it.

Secondly, is there any chance that they will replace the damaged tyre seeing as though it was the cracked alloy that caused the damage?

Slim chances I presume but you never know and I apologise if this has been covered thoughout the vast number of pages in this thread but I do not have the time to read through all of them.
Welcome to the forum under frustrating circumstances. I reckon you will have a reasonable chance of replacement wheels only if you bought the car from a BMW dealer and have had it serviced by them. Seeing as they replaced one before, should be okay. Doubt they'll cover the tyre though.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #357
paulg1981
Registered
Rep

Update for anyone who cares or is having a similar issue. I have had a phonecall from BMW today to be advised that they are out of stock of the wheels in the whole of Europe and it could be 6 weeks before I get a new one.

They have ran the tests but not had confirmation back yet with regards to whether they can replace it or not
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #358
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

It's pretty obvious why they are out of stock, they keep on being replaced as they keep fuc*ing cracking. This is ridiculous BMW, sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #359
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post

How had the cracked wheel damaged the tyre?
What type of damage had been caused?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #360
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I was at my pals sheet metal shop yesterday.

On the welding table - another set of BMW alloys.

He reports welding inner lips of X5 wheels a fair bit now too...
      01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #361
paulg1981
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
How had the cracked wheel damaged the tyre?
What type of damage had been caused?
I have no idea.

Basically, the tyre pressure light came on. I rang BMW, they told me to pump the tyres up, reset the pressure gauge and then see what happens. IT came back on again so I took it to National and expected it to be a puncture with the speed that it went down.

National called me the following day to say that it was not a puncture but the cracking of the alloy that had damaged the tyre and was causing it to lose pressure. Didn't ask any questions, although wish I had in hindsight, as I just wanted to speak to BMW to get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #362
GINDO
Private
England
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Question 2009 BMW 320I SPORT VERT Cracked Alloy????

Hi just to report ,Found Cracked Drivers Side Rear Alloy Sunday Whilst Cleaning, Phoned BMW Mon , told bring the car in which i did ,they checked all the wheels and only found the one thankgoodness , said they will have to send photo and measurements to BMW for warranty claim of which they did not tell me the results ?, Alloy 255/30/19 Bridgestone.RFTS still waiting for call (said only take a day) will keep you informed.

thanks for reading
Gindo (Paul)

Last edited by GINDO; 01-31-2011 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #363
GINDO
Private
England
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Smile

Hi just had phone call from BMW Chesterfield and the wheel will be replaced FOC as soon as they get one in,apparently there on back order. lol must be a problem lol
Gindo( Paul )
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #364
P1JVS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series E93

335i m sport with 19" wheels in for a service yesterday. Notified that a rear wheel had cracked. This is the third rear wheel to crack and it was a replacement for a wheel which cracked in April 2010. It has also damaged a 2 month old tyre. BMW saying none in europe due to 'technical issues'. This is now getting ridiculous! What is the point of replacing with the same again? If BMW don't appear to be sorting this issue properly or to be taking customer concerns seriously. I am considering taking this issue to my local trading standards office to see what they have to say. Has anyone else got any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #365
dghdgh
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 sports+

what do you do while waiting for the back order?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #366
dghdgh
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 sports+

are vosa aware as this could be a real safety issue
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #367
P1JVS
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW have arranged a hire car (peugeot 309). Not quite the same as a 335i but better than walking! I still cant believe that this issue had been present for over 2 years and its still not sorted. If they cant sort out an alloy wheel design its no wonder BMW pulled out of F1!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #368
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1JVS View Post
335i m sport with 19" wheels in for a service yesterday. Notified that a rear wheel had cracked. This is the third rear wheel to crack and it was a replacement for a wheel which cracked in April 2010. It has also damaged a 2 month old tyre. BMW saying none in europe due to 'technical issues'. This is now getting ridiculous! What is the point of replacing with the same again? If BMW don't appear to be sorting this issue properly or to be taking customer concerns seriously. I am considering taking this issue to my local trading standards office to see what they have to say. Has anyone else got any suggestions?
Have your alloys cracked wit run flats or non runflats?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #369
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1JVS View Post
Just posted on a seperate thread, but I spoke to some friends in Trading Standards who are aware of this. In their opinion it is a straight forward Sale of Goods Act issue especially as BMW are now replacing without prompting, it has nothing to do with warranty and should be sorted to the satisfaction of the buyer without question.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #370
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

That's the thing though BMW aren't replacing without prompting.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #371
P1JVS
United Kingdom
Rep

I have the recommended run flat tyres. I have previously asked the BMW dealer if it is ok to fit standard non run flats as I think it is the combination of the stiffer tyre wall combined with the wider msport wheels that is causing the problem. The dealer said that BMW would not honour the warranty on any future cracked wheels if the recommended type of tyres was not fitted.
I really cannot understand how BMW have allowed this issue to go for so long!
I emailed the SMMT last week to find out what they are doing about this. They have not replied. I find it surprising that the motor trade association do not want to take a view on something which is such a significant failing by one of its top level prestige members!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #372
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Update: Since dropping off my two cracked rear wheels in December at Scothall BMW Leeds - and a few phonecalls from them every now and again I finally got a call on Tuesday saying that Bmw have agreed to replace them even though my car is not under warranty= result!!

looking forward to swapping back over from winter wheels very soon!
E92 335d Coupe, Bluefin remap, 333BHP, Winter Conti TS830p on 18 MV3's, 19' summer wheels, BMW gloss black Performance grills, DAB, Pro nav, bluetooth, black Dakota Leather- heated, High beam assist, BMW HIFI, elec seats and mirrors, auto with paddle shift, climate windscreen, voice control, uni remote,PDC, extended storage pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #373
contractor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f15 m50d, f25 35d

e93 335i on 19 inch 225M wheels. Slow puncture (1 bar/day) on driver's rear. 3 cracks in the wheel. It's with my dealer today who seemed positive about getting a free replacement (but wouldn't commit). Car is 3.5 yrs old, always in the dealer network and has only 16K miles on it.

I'll be ordering 4 non-RFTs later on today and dumping the bridgestone RFTs. Incidentally the tyre on the wheel in question has inside edge scuffing etc. It's the other half's car and she religiously checks her pressures fortnightly and keeps them up around 3 bar for the rears (we were aware of the general issue when we got the car last April). The other wheels/tyres are all fine.

Let's see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #374
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Got a call from my dealer today, they expect the wheels in next week and will replace without question, I mentioned the tyre wear and was met with an eary silence.
Emailed BMW this morning to clarify if tyres will be replaced as well due to defect in wheels causing unnecessary wear.
Appreciate 0