E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Halifax Chat Thread

08-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Official Halifax Chat Thread

Just hoping to start some communication with all of us Bimmer owners in Atlantic Canada, specifically Halifax!

Last edited by pat_03; 08-28-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: add signature
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
the boy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

im on PEI but have a buddy in halifax with a 2011 M3! i thing his name on here is BPG!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Right on man... well you are more than welcome to keep posting here, anywhere in the Maritime's works for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Sounds good! Any of you do your own maintenance? Got my 2007 335i in Halifax back in April and so far I've done an oil change, inspected spark plugs, changed differential gear oil, removed rear brake pads & rotors for hand brake inspection, applied leather treatment (Maguiars Gold Class spray on), vinyl treatment (303 Aerospace protectant), Turtle waxed. Some minor mods: Chrome door trim blackout, Mat black grill, Painted calipers, Tint 20% back and side rear. Currently trying to fix morning hard pedal start-up problem (waiting for part). Next up: Winter tires and rims (sizing down to 17" with Continental Wintersports , Change brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Lots of your own work, certainly beats the prices charged ar Moncton or Halifax BMW! I've taken my centre console out to release some change stuck behind the ash tray. I also have a German license plate on front of the car as well as genuine BMW chrome rear license plate holder and valve stem covers. Looking at getting some after market taillights and the chrome plates for the interior door handles. Biggest thing I am about to do is replace the passenger side headlamp, whcih requires taking the fron bumber off... will be a heck of a project I'm sure!
Anyone in Halifax looking for a fantastic mechanic who specializes in Merc and BMW, please google EUROWERKS, he is a licensed MERC mechanic and has all the diagnostic equioment as well, plus charges nearly $50/Hr less than dealer!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I really enjoy it and I save a ton of money. My policy is to get to know your car well and stay away from dealerships as much as you can.
How do you like your xi? Must be great in the snow. This'll be my first winter with the i so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't put much faith in rwd's and prolly have to keep weights in the trunk.
Good luck with your headlamp. Bumper cover's just bolted on. Have your extension bar ready for a couple of bolts. Headlight washer units (if equipped) pop out.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
the boy
Private First Class
Rep

I do all of my own work also!! i just bought my 07 335i which had some damage on the front i havent even driven it yet... gonna put the radiator in it tonight!! hopefully driving it next week!!! if you guys know anyone that wants to buy a carbon fiber hood...i have one that i would like to get rid of!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Cheers for the info 'built my way'! The headlight should be in soon so will let you know how it goes... I do have the headlight washers actually, do I have to pop the little covers off or do they clip out from the inside of the bumper once I almost have it off?
I actually just got the car in April so no snow yet but I have snow tires as well so I have high hopes. my last car was a Lexus IS300 RWD, with snow tires and traction control it was great in the snow so you should be fine as long as you have the proper tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

'The boy', you must be excited about getting your car on the road... you got it with a re-built title I take it, what kind of accident was it in and what work are you doing yourself?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_03 View Post
Cheers for the info 'built my way'! The headlight should be in soon so will let you know how it goes... I do have the headlight washers actually, do I have to pop the little covers off or do they clip out from the inside of the bumper once I almost have it off?
I actually just got the car in April so no snow yet but I have snow tires as well so I have high hopes. my last car was a Lexus IS300 RWD, with snow tires and traction control it was great in the snow so you should be fine as long as you have the proper tires.
Be very careful removing the washer covers. You could end up damaging the little spring inside. Read through this to see what's involved. There's also a step by step procedure for the bumper cover removal (lots of fasteners)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236348
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
the boy
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah the car will have a rebuilt title which sucks but oh well got it for good price! i actually bought the car in around kentville N.S. apparently it fell of the truck while being unloaded and damaged the front end!! i just fininshed getting it straightened now im putting all the radiators and fan in it, then sand the front end so it will be ready for paint!! im sending it out to get painted though!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

I did the bumper/headlight with my room mate last week... it actually went very well, and only took a couple hours... that is with a few beer breaks as well! Car is in the shop now being re-coded so hopefully the issue is solved!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #13
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did the bumper/headlight with my room mate last week... it actually went very well, and only took a couple hours... that is with a few beer breaks as well! Car is in the shop now being re-coded so hopefully the issue is solved!
Hey that's great! Yeah I find it's always nice when Mr. Keith can drop by to help. LOL! Did you have any trouble getting the headlight washer covers off?
I just got my 'winters' from Tire Rack and can't wait to install. Had them shipped to Ace Homecenter in Calais, ME (in case you were interested). Easy peasy to order and great price!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Hey, no trouble at all with the washers... I honestly can't believe how smooth the whole job went... and finally, no more warning light!
I've heard of tire rack.... why did you choose Ace hardware? Very clever though, saves on duties etc... I am thinking of getting a set of wheels and using my stock ones as my winters cuz I don't really like them!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

Quote:
Lots of your own work, certainly beats the prices charged ar Moncton or Halifax BMW! I've taken my centre console out to release some change stuck behind the ash tray. I also have a German license plate on front of the car as well as genuine BMW chrome rear license plate holder and valve stem covers. Looking at getting some after market taillights and the chrome plates for the interior door handles. Biggest thing I am about to do is replace the passenger side headlamp, whcih requires taking the fron bumber off... will be a heck of a project I'm sure!
Anyone in Halifax looking for a fantastic mechanic who specializes in Merc and BMW, please google EUROWERKS, he is a licensed MERC mechanic and has all the diagnostic equioment as well, plus charges nearly $50/Hr less than dealer!
hi im in Halifax too.. i am look for some specialized mechanic to help me fixed my car. do u mean http://www.nslocal.ca/results.php?hi...e_stylesheet=3 this shop?? i will go and see what is going on..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw View Post
hi im in Halifax too.. i am look for some specialized mechanic to help me fixed my car. do u mean http://www.nslocal.ca/results.php?hi...e_stylesheet=3 this shop?? i will go and see what is going on..
Hey Simon, yes this is the shop, I highly recommend taking your car here... they only charge $80/hr compared to well over $100 if you take it to the dealer, plus Burt won't rip you off. He is a certified Mercedes Mechanic and works on all kinds of high end imports. He has all the diagnostic equipment required to scan BMW's.... I just had work done there that would have cost over $2000 at BMW, for barely half the price, he is great.... just ignore the receptionist though, doesn't have the greatest customer service skills!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Simon, yes this is the shop, I highly recommend taking your car here... they only charge $80/hr compared to well over $100 if you take it to the dealer, plus Burt won't rip you off. He is a certified Mercedes Mechanic and works on all kinds of high end imports. He has all the diagnostic equipment required to scan BMW's.... I just had work done there that would have cost over $2000 at BMW, for barely half the price, he is great.... just ignore the receptionist though, doesn't have the greatest customer service skills!
huh. thx Pat_03 i will take the car to Burt next Monday... hopefully he can fix my car. lol... thank you very much... it is really nice to find someone from Halifax in this forum. thank you again.. keep in touch. have a good weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
huh. thx Pat_03 i will take the car to Burt next Monday... hopefully he can fix my car. lol... thank you very much... it is really nice to find someone from Halifax in this forum. thank you again.. keep in touch. have a good weekend.
You too Simon, let me know if you need anything else!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You too Simon, let me know if you need anything else!
oh yea. one last questions? do they do the coding work as well? or i have to get the cable and learn to code by myself? thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
oh yea. one last questions? do they do the coding work as well? or i have to get the cable and learn to code by myself? thx!
He most certainly does coding.. I just had my adaptive headlights replaced and re coded by burt, don't think there is much he can't do
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He most certainly does coding.. I just had my adaptive headlights replaced and re coded by burt, don't think there is much he can't do
Wow. thanks again Pat. u make me feel more confidence to have my car fix in Burt's shop.. can't wait anymore!!!. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow. thanks again Pat. u make me feel more confidence to have my car fix in Burt's shop.. can't wait anymore!!!. lol
Hey no problem at all simon.. I know how particular us BMW owners are so I would def not steer you in the wrong direction... This guy is a pro and he's fair and affordable.. More than I can say about halifax bmw... Keep in touch and let me know how things go
Appreciate 0