E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Raced a Jeep SRT8 uphill at 4500 ft. from 0-100.

04-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #199
Mad Max SRT8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Yeah, I wonder if "launch control" on v2.0 PROcede (Shiv's already been talking about it) will really help a PROcede-equipped 335i get better launches and consequently better 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times. Or, will the LSD and amazing new 420HP V8 on the upcoming '08 M3 just be the cat's meow.
Hi all, yes you picked up another SRT8 member I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the launch control, my last car was a Subaru WRX that was fully modded through Turbo XS (Stage 4) with a few extras and was making 330 WHP when I sold it. It had a "launch control" feature on it that allowed you to build around 10-12 lbs of boost while at rest and held the rpm's at 5800 RPM (user set). When I used this feature on the street the car would launch like a rocket, lighting all 4 wheels up through most of 1st gear. I never lost off the line using launch control, even racing against a highly modded Cyclone. I even gave a GSX-R 750 a good race (to like 30' before he blew my doors off.)

However, the other side of that was my grenaded tranny, my blown engine and my 2 stripped clutches. The launch control was such a shock to the system that my car just couldn't handle it. There is absolutely nothing harder on your car than using a system like this that pre-loads boost for the car before launch. Users, be prepared to face the consequences. A nice, solid launch using traditional methods is much, much easier on your car.

By the way, my choices were between my Grand Cherokee SRT8 and a 335i, both of which I test drove and thoroughly researched. The reason I went with the Jeep was that I wanted a SUV. For me the Jeep was a perfect balance between the SUV utility and sport car performance. If I had gotten a car it definitely would have been the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #200
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max SRT8 View Post
Hi all, yes you picked up another SRT8 member I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the launch control, my last car was a Subaru WRX that was fully modded through Turbo XS (Stage 4) with a few extras and was making 330 WHP when I sold it. It had a "launch control" feature on it that allowed you to build around 10-12 lbs of boost while at rest and held the rpm's at 5800 RPM (user set). When I used this feature on the street the car would launch like a rocket, lighting all 4 wheels up through most of 1st gear. I never lost off the line using launch control, even racing against a highly modded Cyclone. I even gave a GSX-R 750 a good race (to like 30' before he blew my doors off.)

However, the other side of that was my grenaded tranny, my blown engine and my 2 stripped clutches. The launch control was such a shock to the system that my car just couldn't handle it. There is absolutely nothing harder on your car than using a system like this that pre-loads boost for the car before launch. Users, be prepared to face the consequences. A nice, solid launch using traditional methods is much, much easier on your car.

By the way, my choices were between my Grand Cherokee SRT8 and a 335i, both of which I test drove and thoroughly researched. The reason I went with the Jeep was that I wanted a SUV. For me the Jeep was a perfect balance between the SUV utility and sport car performance. If I had gotten a car it definitely would have been the 335i.
Good point, and Welcome!!!! It's nice to see another car enthusiast here (that drives another car, not a BMW) that contributes to our Forum, rather than just joining to start a flame war.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #201
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Launching a car with AWD is so much more wear and tear on the tranny than a FWD or RWD. Plus those early WRX transmissions were pretty weak to start with. Anyways good point HOWEVER, with a RWD car, the launch control is to lessen the throttle and boost, not increase it. We have too much power and no traction in 1st gear so the launch control feature in this opposite scenario would put less load on the engine/tranny to prevent/minimize wheel spin until you get traction.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #202
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max SRT8 View Post

Thank-you again, and welcome to the forum. You make an excellent point. Yes, the WRX trannys have issues, and I am aware of some blown motors. I think that the 335 i is a bit more solid, but it is no racer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #203
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Launching a car with AWD is so much more wear and tear on the tranny than a FWD or RWD. Plus those early WRX transmissions were pretty weak to start with. Anyways good point HOWEVER, with a RWD car, the launch control is to lessen the throttle and boost, not increase it. We have too much power and no traction in 1st gear so the launch control feature in this opposite scenario would put less load on the engine/tranny to prevent/minimize wheel spin until you get traction.
Hmmm...if that's true (and I'm not doubting you...just didn't know that), then this would definitely be very helpful for a PROcede-equipped 335i.

btw -- I was on the hwy. today when a fairly new EVO pulled up behind me and then got in front of me...he gunned it @ ~ 70mph and of course I followed. I was right on his rear up to ~ 110mph when I began to pull on him; I definitely would've passed him easily, but that's when we both had to let off. I guess everyone is right about those EVO's...very fast, even from a roll, but they tend to lose steam in the upper end.

I pulled in the right lane and signaled for him to come up beside me; I asked him what he'd done with his EVO and he said it was stock except for some cams or gears (not sure which he said). I said my 335i had a piggyback computer on it and had ~ 380BHP & ~ 450 lb.-ft. TQ; his jaw dropped and gave me a nice thumbsup.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #204
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...if that's true (and I'm not doubting you...just didn't know that), then this would definitely be very helpful for a PROcede-equipped 335i.

btw -- I was on the hwy. today when a fairly new EVO pulled up behind me and then got in front of me...he gunned it @ ~ 70mph and of course I followed. I was right on his rear up to ~ 110mph when I began to pull on him; I definitely would've passed him easily, but that's when we both had to let off. I guess everyone is right about those EVO's...very fast, even from a roll, but they tend to lose steam in the upper end.

I pulled in the right lane and signaled for him to come up beside me; I asked him what he'd done with his EVO and he said it was stock except for some cams or gears (not sure which he said). I said my 335i had a piggyback computer on it and had ~ 380BHP & ~ 450 lb.-ft. TQ; his jaw dropped and gave me a nice thumbsup.
My stock '03 Evo NEVER pulled anything like the PROcede 335 i. Different league. I was at a stop sign one day and made a right turn. There was a Porsche 996 TT behind me. I gunned my Evo. He gunned his car AFTER I did, and from behind me, and passed me like I wasn't even moving.

The 335 i is tremendous with the PROcede, but there are still quite a few cars that would blow it away. A stock Evo isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #205
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
My stock '03 Evo NEVER pulled anything like the PROcede 335 i. Different league. I was at a stop sign one day and made a right turn. There was a Porsche 996 TT behind me. I gunned my Evo. He gunned his car AFTER I did, and from behind me, and passed me like I wasn't even moving.

The 335 i is tremendous with the PROcede, but there are still quite a few cars that would blow it away. A stock Evo isn't one of them.
I guess I forgot to mention I had a friend in the car with me and the guy in the EVO was alone, but yeah, I could see the EVO doing well from a launch (w/ AWD), but after ~ 60-70+mph, it losing steam vs. a car like the PROcede-equipped 335i with massive TQ.

btw -- I know of one such car that would blow away my PROcede-equipped 335i, and I went for a freakin' awesome ride in it today...my friend's Ferrari 512TR...428HP and CRAZY TQ!!!!!!

Last edited by sflgator; 04-11-2007 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #206
renasis
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid4323 View Post
that jeep makes me sick....... i want one just to race ricers in
f...in rite
      04-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #207
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I forgot to mention I had a friend in the car with me and the guy in the EVO was alone, but yeah, I could see the EVO doing well from a launch (w/ AWD), but after ~ 60-70+mph, it losing steam vs. a car like the PROcede-equipped 335i with massive TQ.

btw -- I know of one such car that would blow away my PROcede-equipped 335i, and I went for a freakin' awesome ride in it today...my friend's Ferrari 512TR...428HP and CRAZY TQ!!!!!!
Plus, the Ferrari is quite a head turner! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #208
Mad Max SRT8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid4323
that jeep makes me sick....... i want one just to race ricers in

f...in rite

My first and only "race" was some kid in a pimped out Civic with a fart can muffler. He kept revving at me so when the light turned green I stomped on it and left him to wonder what happend.

If the launch control from Vishnu is different than the one I was using from TurboXS (and I don't doubt it is, Vishnu had a better overall product) then that sounds like a solid option. In retrospect I don't see how building boost at rest would benefit a rear wheel drive car at all, as Bmwzimmer pointed out it would just result in wheelspin. I'd be really interested to see what Shiv's "launch control" does for 1/4 times.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #209
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocoins View Post
Plus, the Ferrari is quite a head turner! :rocks:
Yes, it's a very NICE sports car (even if it was made in 1994); the engine and exhaust note are absolutely incredible, as is the raw power and TQ of that flat 12 cyl.!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #210
HoustonSRT-8
Registered
Rep
Drives: GC SRT-8, 850 T5-R, Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
The SRT8 sedan can't even beat a Lexus is350
And we all know the 335i is faster than the Is350. Surely the slower jeep version won't keep up with the BMW.
Actually the fastest SRT-8 through the 1/4 is the Jeep due to it's nice launch ability. After that, the other models pass due to better aerodynamics, weight and less driveline lag. From what I've seen, the Jeeps run anywhere from 12.9-13.3 stock where the sedans (Magnum, Charger & SRT-8) run anywhere from 13.2-13.5 with a better trap speed.

On a side note, the IS350 & 335i are sweet and I'd be happy to own either one of them. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #211
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSRT-8 View Post
Actually the fastest SRT-8 through the 1/4 is the Jeep due to it's nice launch ability. After that, the other models pass due to better aerodynamics, weight and less driveline lag. From what I've seen, the Jeeps run anywhere from 12.9-13.3 stock where the sedans (Magnum, Charger & SRT-8) run anywhere from 13.2-13.5 with a better trap speed.

On a side note, the IS350 & 335i are sweet and I'd be happy to own either one of them. :rocks:
FYI -- now we know a PROcede-equipped 335i can "officially" do the 1/4 mi. in 12.7 sec. or possibly better; one guy ran the 1/4 mi. at a dragstrip and got 12.731 sec. @ 109.53mph; faster than a Jeep GC SRT-8 as shown on DragTimes.com (12.85 sec. @ 104.54mph 1/4 mi.)... ; here are the timeslips...

http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...hread.php?t=65

http://www.dragtimes.com/Jeep-Cherok...lip-11861.html

Apparently, only a GC SRT-8 with Nitrous would beat a PROcede-equipped 335i (and it even had a similar trap speed as the PROcede 335i)...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Jeep-Cherok...lip-10542.html

All in all, I have to admit, those GC SRT-8's do have great launches and 60 ft. times with the AWD, and any race between a GC SRT-8 and a PROcede-equipped 335i would be very close!!

Last edited by sflgator; 04-15-2007 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #212
HoustonSRT-8
Registered
Rep
Drives: GC SRT-8, 850 T5-R, Mustang GT

Quote:
FYI -- now we know a PROcede-equipped 335i can "officially" do the 1/4 mi. in 12.7 sec. or possibly better; one guy ran the 1/4 mi. at a dragstrip and got 12.731 sec. @ 109.53mph
That's the great thing about turbo cars. Easy to get good gains for the money.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #213
sflgator
Major General
Rep

So, I got a brief opportunity to "play" with a Jeep GC SRT-8 this morning. Although we didn't get any real opportunities "side-by-side," let's just say that he really couldn't keep up with me in my PROcede-equipped 335i from a few rolls 60mph+...I just kept pulling away from him. Also, I know the GC SRT-8 is supposed to handle very well (~ .91g on the skidpad, even better than the 335i's .89g on the skidpad), but it seemed as if that huge, heavy boat just isn't nearly as "tossable" as the 335i. I have a feeling that the GC SRT-8 with the AWD might do a lot better vs. a PROcede-equipped 335i from a launch...I think it would be close, but I still feel the PROcede-equipped 335i would pull ahead. One other thing to note though...I was actually surprised how nice it looks in person; it has some cool aero effects that definitely differentiates the SRT-8 from a regular Jeep GC...it looks kind of "mean."

Last edited by sflgator; 04-18-2007 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #214
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

BNJ while I admit the 530 may have more room and may even be better in Helsinkis snow and ice.
it cant tow my GT3 to the track hence the X5 4.8is.

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #215
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulGT3 View Post
BNJ while I admit the 530 may have more room and may even be better in Helsinkis snow and ice.
it cant tow my GT3 to the track hence the X5 4.8is.
Nice to have people on the forum who are actually tracking their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #216
JaySRT8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92xi

whats up just wanted to add some words no war over here my boy got a is350 and i left him behind i raced a 335i 2 door on a highway both went at it we stayed together then i pull out from him also it was a stock vs stock