E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 3.15 3.64 3.38 lsd my review ( Performance Gearing)

11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

3.15 3.64 3.38 lsd my review ( Performance Gearing)

Some of you may have read my review of a used 3.64 LSD I bought used from a member. I liked it a ton at the time, but first was short and I didn't love running 3,000 rpm at 75 mph on the thruway. It was a dramatic improvment over stock though.

That read end broke- a tooth in the gear set broke and scattered through the diff so I put the stock one back in and called the guy who built the 3.64 lsd, Jim from Performance Gearing.

He proposed what sounded like a wonderful solution- a 335i diff which is larger and rated for twice the torque of the standard 330i 3.15 one legger.

I opted for the 3.38 this time which seemed to be the Goldie Locks setting, just right. It sure is- the car just screams through the first 3 gears, and is civil on the highway.

** complications involved** The 335i diff is larger, requiring a shorter drive shaft. Jim sent me a e36 m3 drive shaft which was the right length, but the splines and the carrier bearing didn't work. He then sent what I think was a 323i e90 driveshaft- right length overall but still didn't work so my mechanic used the front 330i ds section with the 323i back half (I think) and made it work. Plenty of spline and no vibes.

The car feels new. I love it and can't wait for autocross and the next de at watkins glen.

If you are thinking of getting a diff from Performance Gearing- go for it, Jim is an stand up human being and enthusiast and only wants what is best for his customers, a true asset to our community.
      11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

If you dont mind me asking how much did this cost you in the end? I was looking to do this a while back and could never get good answer from anyone about which parts to use. I am an e90 330i 6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Some of you may have read my review of a used 3.64 LSD I bought used from a member. I liked it a ton at the time, but first was short and I didn't love running 3,000 rpm at 75 mph on the thruway. It was a dramatic improvment over stock though.

That read end broke- a tooth in the gear set broke and scattered through the diff so I put the stock one back in and called the guy who built the 3.64 lsd, Jim from Performance Gearing.

He proposed what sounded like a wonderful solution- a 335i diff which is larger and rated for twice the torque of the standard 330i 3.15 one legger.

I opted for the 3.38 this time which seemed to be the Goldie Locks setting, just right. It sure is- the car just screams through the first 3 gears, and is civil on the highway.

** complications involved** The 335i diff is larger, requiring a shorter drive shaft. Jim sent me a e36 m3 drive shaft which was the right length, but the splines and the carrier bearing didn't work. He then sent what I think was a 323i e90 driveshaft- right length overall but still didn't work so my mechanic used the front 330i ds section with the 323i back half (I think) and made it work. Plenty of spline and no vibes.

The car feels new. I love it and can't wait for autocross and the next de at watkins glen.

If you are thinking of getting a diff from Performance Gearing- go for it, Jim is an stand up human being and enthusiast and only wants what is best for his customers, a true asset to our community.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post

You really had your hands full with LSD issues and instl! Glad it worked out well.

Why did you select PG over other LSDs such as Wavetrac and Quaife. Wavetrac seems like an awesome value. Can you PM how much did you end up spending for it?

I will be going to WG in the spring also and am looking to instl LSD in the next 2-3 mo.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Check oout PG's web site for a full break down. He took care of me because the first one broke, even though I got it second hand.

I didn't get this one for free, but He gave me a very good deal.
      11-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm running 3.38 as well and I feel it's the perfect gear for our cars for street/track. Glad to see you finally got everything resolved and it was good to meet you at The Glen in September!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^^
Thanks- needless to say I am pleased. It took a bit to get it sorted out but I am happy with the end result.

The car still has some noise coming from the rear that isn't the diff and sounds like a wheel bearing. The parts are fairly cheap hopefully that will resolve it and I will be done for a while. 122,000 and orig water pump tho .... lol :sadface:
      11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
+1 on the 3.38 PG and on Jim. I bought mine from him a few years back and it has been flawless. He installed a drain plug too which is a nice needed touch for any diff.