E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d Ongoing Grief!!!!!!!!!!!

05-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
wd040
Rep
Drives: not sure yet

335d Ongoing Grief!!!!!!!!!!!

hello people your thoughts are required please! its a long story but here goes!
I have a 08 335d with 35k on the clock,main dealer car well maintained with bmw extended warranty comp cover and dms remap,
about 3 weeks ago i had a loss in power, she would not ref past 4k and she felt like a 318d !! local stealer replaced the large red turbo hose and seals under warranty (took £100 of me for my excess) and all was fine. on thursday evening this week just driving along at normal speed i slowed to make the turn into my street when she pinged up in red "oil pressure to low unable to continue journey please ring bmw " i was 300m from my drive so parked her up . the next morning she started fine with no message so off to work i went (about 3 miles) with no dramas untill i stopped at work and ping same message again? phoned bmw assist and they collected car and took to dealer and dropped me off courtesy car (within an hour good service). friday afternoon stealer rings and says its the oil pressure switch and will be ready sat morn at 12 (yesterday) so i collect the car (minus £100 excess) and alls seems fine on the 20 mile journey home. later that afternoon i take the family out for a 10 miles round trip and again just as im pulling back on to my drive ping same oil pressure message! Woke up this morning to give it another try and again all seems fine for at least 50 miles untill suddenly i loose my small turbo! foot to the floor see kicks down but nothing happens much at all untill i hit 2700 rpm then bang im off down the road ???? if i keep my foot flat down and above 2700 rpm everything is fine but below that i got nothing? oil pressure message has gone though? my main questions before i ring the stealer tomo morning is do you guys think that A. the oil pressure and what appears to be small turbo failure could be linked? and/or B. do you think it steams back to orginal red hose failure? or C. am i just really unlucky and about to be rinsed for another £100??? and finally does anyone have any idea what this could be cos i dont think the dealer knows???
sorry its such a long and boring story bur please help!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Read this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480542

Probably not the turbo just the electronic/vacuum gubbins that controls it.

Not read anything about oil pressure though....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Oil pressure switch, does that mean you lost oil pressure when that warning came up?
      05-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
wd040
Rep

Yeah I picked it up yesterday and that was there fix for the the low oil pressure warning I had, although it still gave me that warning last night before today loosing what appears to be small turbo? She is running just fine though
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
wd040
Rep

Just to add to that but I don't know what the car would feel like if it did loose oil pressure anyway? I'm not 100% that she did or weather its just a sensor or somthing playing up?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
wd040
Rep

Yet another update , just drove her down the road and now it feels like it did when they changed the hose last time , no power anywhere in the rev range???
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

no power - i would say thats 99% going to be the pressure convertors for the turbos and/or the vacuum lines, which can split due to the heat. I'd say it is more likely to be the pressure convertors as the vacuum lines if split aren't sporadic. You either have a boost leak or you dont.

The low oil pressure warning is a new one, never heard this before.

Open the bonnet and remove the engine cover. Look just left of the filler cap, you will see a c section of rubber piping about 3 inches long. One end is connect to the small turbo, the other a thin metal pipe. This is the oil supply to the small turbo. Is there oil collecting on the connector. Look for other signs of oil leaks too.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

You can see the pipe Briers is talking about quite clearly in on the first picture in this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595716
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest I don't think its a leak. if there was sufficient leaking out to cause a low pressure warning it would be all over the place and a large pool of oil on the floor.
Its either a false warning or the oil pump really is knackered.
I'd take it back - you paid your excess and they didn't fix it. Annoying but at least you aren't paying the full bill!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having - these type of problems are a mare.

Has the garage said anything about the Remap? Read twice on there recently that the dealers now have a rempap check as a standard part of any repair?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbag View Post
To be honest I don't think its a leak. if there was sufficient leaking out to cause a low pressure warning it would be all over the place and a large pool of oil on the floor.
Its either a false warning or the oil pump really is knackered.
I'd take it back - you paid your excess and they didn't fix it. Annoying but at least you aren't paying the full bill!
I'd agree with that,it sounds like the oil pressure warning light warning could be a red herring.

I had a fault recently and every warning possible appeared,if they were all correct,the car would have been a write off!

@the OP -

Have you experienced any battery related problems recently?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
wd040
Rep

ok day two of being at the dealers and so called she is throwing up completly difference fault codes compared to the oil pressure problem so they are now thinking like you guys on here that the oil pressure fault was indead a red herring! they will be doing more diagnostics after lunch and will ring me with the update! as for the remap issue so far nothings been said although she has been in there on and off for 6 weeks now and they aint said anything yet and warranty paid out on it all so long may that continue!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
wd040
Rep

just phoned the dealer (4.40pm ) and still no news, service manager having a moan with the boss to try and speed this along !!!!!!!!!!!! without doubt it will end up at 4 days without the car! ive told him to check out pressure converters and turbo actuators but im assuming they would do this anyway?
any other ideas guys please let me know so i can feed them so more clues!
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
wd040
Rep

just a quick update , the stealer has phoned and they have said ita a pressure regulator (im assuming thats the same or similar to a pressure converter) and a switch?
so called i will be able to collect tomorrow fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

I realize this thread is ancient, but I'm curious to know whether or not the pressure regulator solved the problem. I'm assuming this to be one or more of the pressure converters.
Appreciate 0