E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede CANbus diagnostic code reading DONE

05-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #89
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3 View Post
+1
recoded the cluster to display speed like it's an m3 cluster...i love it

05-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #90
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
i think procedes canbus can be used for more useful features than redundant functions. while we are at it, maybe shiv can put another temp gauge right under the existing one
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #91
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by got psi View Post

spill the beans...
Not much to spill....I have some software and I recoded the kombi (instrument cluster) to have options similar to the M3's cluster. Unfortunately it's not really a quick diy type thing...
      05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #92
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddjay View Post
i think procedes canbus can be used for more useful features than redundant functions. while we are at it, maybe shiv can put another temp gauge right under the existing one
what? that pic i posted had nothing to do with the procede. someone asked about it so i elaborated. it's not a function of the procede.
      05-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #93
doofus2
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Actually, when you set off a detection code the ECU goes in to a reduced boost mode. That mode is in effect even after clearing the code, until you restart the car. So creating codes and then deleting them will have a real performance drawback if you are kicking the ECU in to low boost mode all the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Ridiculous comment. But then again, can we expect anything less from the source? Just as ridiculous as his statements about the dangerous effects of eliminating unwanted throttle closure, lagfix, timing control, fuel pressure control, PID boost control, etc,.
I have direct experience with this phenomenon, Shiv. I was able to reproduce it over and over again, in the space of minutes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...62#post5008062

Does this change your analysis? If you still regard this statement as ridiculous, can you offer another explanation?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #94
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post

That's pretty cool, but like Murray said he didn't use the procede to do that. You need to do the programing on the procede. If you do the programing on the car you can get the boost gauge but you will get the false reading the ECU is receiving. We just have to wait until Shiv & Co get to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #95
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Nice hack!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #96
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

So you are searching for an explanation for an issue that you have using the JB3 or are you asking why your tune has this issue but not Procede?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus2 View Post
I have direct experience with this phenomenon, Shiv. I was able to reproduce it over and over again, in the space of minutes.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...62#post5008062

Does this change your analysis? If you still regard this statement as ridiculous, can you offer another explanation?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #97
doofus2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
So you are searching for an explanation for an issue that you have using the JB3 or are you asking why your tune has this issue but not Procede?
Neither. The tune I'm using is irrelevant, I think.

I have observed reduced boost even after the tuner detection codes have been cleared (via BT). The reduced boost condition sticks until a restart.

I suppose my question is: how can the PROCede fix what BT cannot?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #98
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
what? that pic i posted had nothing to do with the procede. someone asked about it so i elaborated. it's not a function of the procede.
my bad i thought someone was asking for that. i assumed it had something to do with procede since... this is a thread about procede
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #99
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The reduced boost condition sticks until a restart.

if i recall correctly, the car needs to be off for procede to clear codes so its really a moot point

youve got to pull over to clear it anyway, so restarting probably isnt far out of reach.

also, speaking for myself, i have yet to trigger a limp mode like that with procede. so maybe procede cant fix what BT cannot but perhaps it wont need to when youre using procede
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #100
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Neither. The tune I'm using is irrelevant, I think.

I have observed reduced boost even after the tuner detection codes have been cleared (via BT). The reduced boost condition sticks until a restart.

The tune is anything but irrelevant. And of course there will be shortcomings to reactive "fixes" (using the BT to clear codes caused by the JB3. And that is why we aren't using the PROcede's CANbus integration for just code reading/clearing.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #101
NetVader
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
And of course there will be shortcomings to reactive "fixes" (using the BT to clear codes caused by the JB3.
First you said that it is ridiculous this low boost mode exists when triggering detection codes. Then you said of course those shortcomings can happen when triggering detection codes. Do you read your own posts?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #102
NetVader
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
if i recall correctly, the car needs to be off for procede to clear codes so its really a moot point

youve got to pull over to clear it anyway, so restarting probably isnt far out of reach.

also, speaking for myself, i have yet to trigger a limp mode like that with procede. so maybe procede cant fix what BT cannot but perhaps it wont need to when youre using procede
I'm not the smartest guy here but I followed along the thread and links and could understand what was being said. A Juice Box beta tester is probing for the limits of the detection codes and noticed that when he sets them off his boost is reduced until he restarts the car. So this means that even if you can clear codes on the fly (with V3 or BT), triggering the detection codes is still really annoying. This has a big impact on the V3 or Juice Box tuning because you can't just do whatever you want and clear the codes later.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #103
doofus2
Private
Rep

Quote:

I see. I had assumed you could do it without restarting.

By the way, you don't need to clear the code to clear the reduced boost condition. You only need to restart.

Quote:

And I have yet to trigger this condition with a production JB3. I uncovered this information while beta testing.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #104
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetVader View Post
First you said that it is ridiculous this low boost mode exists when triggering detection codes. Then you said of course those shortcomings can happen when triggering detection codes. Do you read your own posts?
It was (and still is) ridiculous because it doesn't happen on the PROcede platform. It's like someone telling a Mazda owner than their HPFP is going to fail.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #105
doofus2
Private
Rep

Quote:
The tune is anything but irrelevant.
On this point (whether one can clear a reduced boost condition due to tuner detection without restarting), I think the tune is irrelevant.

Beyond being able to clear the code without BT, what difference does the tune you're using make once you're in this condition?

Quote:
And of course there will be shortcomings to reactive "fixes" (using the BT to clear codes caused by the JB3. And that is why we aren't using the PROcede's CANbus integration for just code reading/clearing.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #106
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

He was speaking about the posters tune being reactive. Is anyone with the Procede experiencing the same issue the poster has with the JB3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetVader View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #107
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

doofus - I don't recall anyone with a procede ever encountering this issue (correct me if i'm wrong)... if it has only happened on a car with jb3, then the tune is extremely relevant.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #108
doofus2
Private
Rep

Quote:
It was (and still is) ridiculous because it doesn't happen on the PROcede platform. It's like someone telling a Mazda owner than their HPFP is going to fail.
Do you mean "hasn't been reported" or "won't happen"? If the latter, why not?

The reason I ask is:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/01...generation-of/

http://www.automotive.com/2009/12/ma...ons/index.html
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #109
doofus2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
doofus - I don't recall anyone with a procede ever encountering this issue.... if it has only happened on a car with jb3, then the tune is extremely relevant.
Before last week, no one had reported it on a JB3, either.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #110
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

but those are the facts we have to work with... so far the only known case is on a car with a JB3. So yes the tune is relevant.
Appreciate 0