E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Full Review -- Supreme Power -- Lowering Perches ----------

03-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #89
vwetish
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Thanks for the response. Got it up on stands today and everything with the springs and perches is fine, they are still seated as they were originally and with all weight hanging the springs are still tight between the lower and upper perches. Don't think that is it. Banging around down there with a rubber mallet nothing seems wrong everything is tight. There may be the slighted bit of ability to wiggle the upper control arms, both sides the same, but since they have rubber bushings that has to be normal. None of the bushings show any signs of leaking. Shocks still look brand new. I am at a loss. I may just have to wait till it gets alot worse to be able to tell something is loose or worn out. Not easy for us BMW OCD types!
Did you ever fix it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #90
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
If its clunking then 100% something is loose.
Nothing is loose on my car. Properly torqued when car is on the ground. everything installed properly. Please advice on my problem. Zero issues until lowering perches installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #91
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish View Post
Nothing is loose on my car. Properly torqued when car is on the ground. everything installed properly. Please advice on my problem. Zero issues until lowering perches installed.
Really off chance here but I had a similar noise problem and couldn't solve it. Tech finally heard it but the front left strut was coming off to go in the shock dyno to check for damage. When it was reinstalled the noise was gone. In the past the same noise has cropped up and I've found the camber plate wasn't loose so much as it needed to be torqued back to spec. And then the noise would go away for a while. I think it has to be done with the tire off the ground to remove any loading. Could be wrong of course but it's a thought.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #92
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Did you ever fix it?
Hey thanks for checking... yes somewhere I followed up already. I did fix it. It was a loose endlink/strut connection on the passenger side.

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post when Supreme Power was helping troubleshoot.

FIXED! I figured out my issue, it was exactly how supreme power said it was! The passenger side fsb end link where it attaches to the strut was loose. It was snug but when I tried to tighten it, it would just turn, I ended up taking an impact gun to it which tightened it enough to where I could then take a ratchet/socket to it and tighten it without it turning. Clunk is gone and car handles better now that I am getting the full value out of the front sway bar!

Thanks Eric!
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #93
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Hey thanks for checking... yes somewhere I followed up already. I did fix it. It was a loose endlink/strut connection on the passenger side.

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post when Supreme Power was helping troubleshoot.

FIXED! I figured out my issue, it was exactly how supreme power said it was! The passenger side fsb end link where it attaches to the strut was loose. It was snug but when I tried to tighten it, it would just turn, I ended up taking an impact gun to it which tightened it enough to where I could then take a ratchet/socket to it and tighten it without it turning. Clunk is gone and car handles better now that I am getting the full value out of the front sway bar!

Thanks Eric!
It isn't the swaybar links. They are tightened properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #94
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Really off chance here but I had a similar noise problem and couldn't solve it. Tech finally heard it but the front left strut was coming off to go in the shock dyno to check for damage. When it was reinstalled the noise was gone. In the past the same noise has cropped up and I've found the camber plate wasn't loose so much as it needed to be torqued back to spec. And then the noise would go away for a while. I think it has to be done with the tire off the ground to remove any loading. Could be wrong of course but it's a thought.
Are you advising re-torquing everything with the car off the ground? Done that as well with same results.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #95
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Have someone turn the wheel and look and try to isolate the noise. The strut assembly, if assembled and installed correctly, should turn as a complete unit. If the hat is trying to twist inside the spring while turning there is an assembly/install issue.

*having just reread your post... So your spring is NOT seated like the spring in the pics you posted?

Quote:
I have new yellow koni, new performance yellow stings, new strut mounts and new hd mayle links, no rubber insulator and clunks when turning the steering wheel left of right, both sides, when car is stationary. Very load clunk Sounds line the spring snaps in and out the perch.
The spring is snugged in between the perch wall and the welded arch, not ever it like in the photos bellow. Just for reference, not my car.

Last edited by avocet; 03-22-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #96
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
*having just reread your post... So your spring is NOT seated like the spring in the pics you posted?
Correct. Is under the welded arc not around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #97
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
lol wat? How is that even possible? If that's the case, it's obviously a huge problem. Post a pic or something because what you're describing sounds like the worst install job on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #98
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Sounds like you've got the spring seated into the perch wrong.
      03-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #99
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
lol wat? How is that even possible? If that's the case, it's obviously a huge problem. Post a pic or something because what you're describing sounds like the worst install job on the planet.
Like previously stated I suspect faulty product. The way the arc is welded allows for the spring to go under it. Has nothing do do with worst install job on the planet. (please don't post nonsense like that)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #100
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Sounds like you've got the spring seated into the perch wrong.
This is how the arc is welded, isn't parallel with the hat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #101
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Oh, I see...I understand what you are trying to say now. I thought either you/your install tried threading a coil through the arc or something lol either way, not sure why you would continue with the install with an obvious bad part. Do BOTH perches look the way you are describing or just one?

Anyway, either send those back or remove the arc altogether and just use the stock rubber spring pad.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #102
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I see...I understand what you are trying to say now. I thought either you/your install tried threading a coil through the arc or something lol either way, not sure why you would continue with the install with an obvious bad part. Do BOTH perches look the way you are describing or just one?

Anyway, either send those back or remove the arc altogether and just use the stock rubber spring pad.
Both are like that. I assumed that is there to hold the spring in place when the suspension is off loaded. I should have done me research prior installing not after. I have seen hooks that keep the spring in place in the past so that was mine natural assumption. Especially because both looked identical. Same with the mechanic (we are friends) who has done thousands of suspension jobs but never with SP perches.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #103
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Yeah, now I'm thinking you got bad (or maybe counterfeit?) parts. I'd go with the above suggestion and remove the "arc" and just use regular pads, or ideally I'd remove the perches entirely and send them back to wherever you got them.

FWIW, I just got my perches at the beginning of the month directly from Supreme Power and they are black, not silver.
      03-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #104
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Yeah, now I'm thinking you got bad (or maybe counterfeit?) parts. I'd go with the above suggestion and remove the "arc" and just use regular pads, or ideally I'd remove the perches entirely and send them back to wherever you got them.

FWIW, I just got my perches at the beginning of the month directly from Supreme Power and they are black, not silver.
No his perches are NOT counterfeit. Those look exactly like mine that I got directly from Supreme awhile back. I had similiar noise issues after installing my perches and it was fixed by hammering the " arch " down so they wouldn't rub against the springs.
      03-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #105
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
No his perches are NOT counterfeit. Those look exactly like mine that I got directly from Supreme awhile back. I had similiar noise issues after installing my perches and it was fixed by hammering the " arch " down so they wouldn't rub against the springs.
Quote:
I need to try returning them or sell here and go back to stock. As much as I hate to I must say that SP lowering perches have been an disappointment for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #106
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I need to try returning them or sell here and go back to stock. As much as I hate to I must say that SP lowering perches have been an disappointment for me.
SP were very helpful when I contacted them and they actually shipped me out a new set to try . Have you called them yet? The person who helped me out was Eric.
      03-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #107
Teohenwhy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Funny when people speak knowing NOTHING about what they are saying..
      03-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #108
vwetish
Banned
Rep

No, I haven't called. Just sent few emails but never received an reply. I have pretty much given up on experimenting with SP so will most definitely go back to stock or go with some adjustable camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #109
vwetish
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, happens all the time on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #110
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah, because it's not like I don't own them and didn't install them myself or anything

After reading enough threads on here about peeps installing control arms upside down/backwards and not realizing that there are 3 different sized tires on their car for months, etc. usually the install process is the first thing to get brought into question.

Having said that, how in the fuk is anyone supposed to visualize a severe manufacturing defect like that and understand what you're trying to describe without pics or at least a better explanation (which was eventually provided)? It obviously isn't a common issue on the forums, or any where else, to have seen happen before. Out of hundreds of customers, it seems you two master mechanics were the only ones to have issues and STILL managed to continue on with the install process somehow; even with all the DIYs, pics available on the web, countless threads, etc.

At the end of the day, answers can only be as detailed as the original information provided
Appreciate 0