E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone DIY replace the front differential?

11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
sluggo1246
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi msport 6MT MPPSK

Anyone DIY replace the front differential?

My was grinding and fluid leaked all over the place. The pictures are what I saw when I went under to take a look. Anyone have a DIY for this? I'm good mechanically but I have not bought a manual for this car since I just got it a few months ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll make a nice DIY if anyone needs it...lots of pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
sluggo1246
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just ordered Bentley from Amazon...

When i checked the index there are two pages devoted to the front differential replacement so we will see how good that is. I suspect that the first few steps will refer to several other sections that go over wheel and axle removal but at least I'll have good information.

I still want any tips from those who know something useful about this. My CV boots look fine so other than those, I can't think of anything I should replace 'while I'm in there' but what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
cristobal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

front differential

Hi, I have a leak on the front diff. were you able to replace your differential?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
sluggo1246
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just picked up a used differential

But I have not begun the swap yet. Later today I think. If it is leaking, I don't think there is much you can do other than take the diff off like I will and replace the seals. Since there is only about .6L of fluid in there, if it's leaking you don't have much time. The used diff was $700 (with only 21k miles) but you can imagine what the parts alone are new.

I can let you know how involved the process is...but since you have to take off both front tires, calipers, CV and such, it will be a significant amount of labor. Doing it myself make it all worthwhile though
Appreciate 0