E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335 vs CLK63 AMG

07-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
335 vs CLK63 AMG

So last night I was stopped at a red light on my way home from dinner. I didn't realize it at the time, but there was a CLK63 AMG lined up to my left. My guess is that it was an 07 or 08. When the light changed the guy punched it; tires screeching and all. I didn't bite because my family was in the car, but even if I was alone, why would I subject myself to this unfair fight? It's a bit like Sugar Ray Leonard fighting Muhammed Ali...They don't belong in the same ring.

In any case, my point in sharing this with you all is that it got me thinking about the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get into AMG territory, at least 0-60 wise. I'm not going to pull the trigger because of this one incident, but the mod bug has been slowly taking hold of thoughts and I'd like to be prepared when the thoughts turn into actions.

If you could put your response in the form of the manufacturer, name, and price of the part that'd be great. I'm think you could do it for a couple grand?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
You can get there. Start here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Common power-related upgrades for an N54 BMW:
-Tune (BMS JB4, COBB Accessport)
-Catless downpipes (AR Design)
-Dual cone intake (all pretty much the same, BMS makes some)
-Front mount intercooler upgrade (Helix, ETS)

There are also turbo upgrades available for your car which will add a ton of HP, but that upgrade is a couple grand.

And don't forget you'll need decent tires to put that power to use.
      07-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

start with the COBB and BMS intake!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

And don't forget, guys: LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL.

Not only will it allow you put tons of power to the ground in a straight-line, but it will help tons in tight cornering.

Wouldn't call it the cheapest way to top 0-60 performance though. Something like $1.5k installed.
      07-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Jb4
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Really? You have a wife and children and this concerns you? Or by family did you mean parents and siblings?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Really? You have a wife and children and this concerns you? Or by family did you mean parents and siblings?
Not that it's any of your business, but did I say anything irresponsible in my post? Did I say I was going to street race or otherwise put my family or anyone else in danger? I'll wait for you to re-read it...

I didn't think so.

I said that a guy tried to race me and I was the bigger man by not taking the bait. I said that it got me to thinking about the best way to obtain AMG performance in my 335. I said absolutely nothing about breaking laws, putting people in danger, or the like. I don't agree with your insinuation that guys with families shouldn't be allowed to mod their cars or otherwise participate in the enthusiast community.

Your judgmental assumptions do nothing but make you look foolish. Move along.

Thanks to everyone else for answering the question and providing guidance on how best to enhance the performance of my car. I'm looking forward to getting started on the project.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
BTW, I saw in another thread that you admitted to driving 132mph. I'm not judging you, but, comparably, a 0-60 red light run really seems trivial, don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

I didn't actually think you'd respond, but that you did is telling. You really didn't need to defend yourself from anything.

"...even if I was alone, why would I subject myself to this unfair fight?" That doesn't exactly sound like the comment of someone who's not interested in the race potential for that query wouldn't be asked if the race were irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc View Post
Not that it's any of your business, but did I say anything irresponsible in my post? Did I say I was going to street race or otherwise put my family or anyone else in danger? I'll wait for you to re-read it...

I didn't think so.

I said that a guy tried to race me and I was the bigger man by not taking the bait. I said that it got me to thinking about the best way to obtain AMG performance in my 335. I said absolutely nothing about breaking laws, putting people in danger, or the like. I don't agree with your insinuation that guys with families shouldn't be allowed to mod their cars or otherwise participate in the enthusiast community.

Thanks to everyone else for answering the question and providing guidance on how best to enhance the performance of my car. I'm looking forward to getting started on the project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:

I didn't think so.

I am not sure about your 335i upgrade path, but your temper upgrade path might could do with a little down grading. I try to give other posts the benefit of the doubt because the written word can be interpreted many ways.

I have read a lot of Tony's posts and I have never read anything from him that was intended as spiteful. In fact, even when given a reason, I have not seen him participate in aggressive typing.

He does speak his mind and make adult comments and his last post was one of those. I think he was trying to have a conversation, not attack you.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf
I am not sure about your 335i upgrade path, but your temper upgrade path might could do with a little down grading. I try to give other posts the benefit of the doubt because the written word can be interpreted many ways.

I have read a lot of Tony's posts and I have never read anything from him that was intended as spiteful. In fact, even when given a reason, I have not seen him participate in aggressive typing.

He does speak his mind and make adult comments and his last post was one of those. I think he was trying to have a conversation, not attack you.
While I appreciate your insight into Tony's inner-workings, I was trying to have a discussion about modding a car, not one about responsibility, ethics, and morals. Especially with someone whom I have never met. Perhaps this adult discussion can be moved to the "judgmental hypocrite" section of the forum. I will now re-evaluate my temper path. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf View Post

TY...that's a very fair representation of the nature of my posts.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
You can get there. Start here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Common power-related upgrades for an N54 BMW:
-Tune (BMS JB4, COBB Accessport)
-Catless downpipes (AR Design)
-Dual cone intake (all pretty much the same, BMS makes some)
-Front mount intercooler upgrade (Helix, ETS)

There are also turbo upgrades available for your car which will add a ton of HP, but that upgrade is a couple grand.

And don't forget you'll need decent tires to put that power to use.
Couldn't care any less about this topic so off topic i go.....Those 269's look amazing
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
While I appreciate your insight into Tony's inner-workings, I was trying to have a discussion about modding a car, not one about responsibility, ethics, and morals. Especially with someone whom I have never met. Perhaps this adult discussion can be moved to the "judgmental hypocrite" section of the forum. I will now re-evaluate my temper path. Thank you
I don't think the evidence supports either judgmental or hypocritical, at least not what Tony wrote. On the other hand it is a bit judgmental to ascribe certain intentions on someone, with only a few words of evidence, and it is a bit hypocritical to call someone else hypocritical for being judgmental, when you have minimal evidence of this. I'm just sayin.

I get that your intention for the thread was something different, but just because you started the thread does not make you the boss of the thread. I am interested in the people here more than anything else. So my post tend to gravitate more to human things (not always).

My question to you is "what is the source of all your anger?" That is not healthy. If you are just having a bad day, then enough said. But if you fly off the handle with no provocation on a regular basis, then I strongly suggest you start digging inside and figure out what is wrong. Otherwise you will get no satisfaction out of the cool things in life, like family, like playing cars, and the list goes on and on. Before you jump down my throat for all that. I will just say, I used to be the guy I just described. It was not fun. I work daily to beat back my dark side and cultivate the good. Take this for what it is worth. If you hear an attack, then I am sorry. I am not attacking you.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the upgrade path I'd suggest for a young adult would differ from the one I'd suggest for a young person with a family. In the latter case, risk mitigation and a view toward the future would play a greater factor and thus I'd suggest that the best upgrade path is to chill for the time being and when it's time to let go of the 335i, just buy an AMG. Dumping money into a 5 year old car that's already no doubt lost a few horses probably isn't the best option for such a person whereas it's not a terrible approach for someone having fewer responsibilities.

In general, I reason that if a poster states something in their post, there must be a reason, so I try to give due consideration to that fact and offer a response tailored to the poster and the things they deemed relevant (by virtue of stating them in the first place) rather than just blithely offering a pat answer. As for my initial questions, they were just that questions, not accusations. If you were to answer, simply saying you meant, for example, parents and siblings I would fully understand from where you are coming with your inquiry. I wasn't always old and settled enough to join the AARP.

To give you a better sense of what I mean by tailoring my answer, I'll share a story from my deep past. About 10 years ago, a client of mine approached me asking me to draw up a proposal to manage a project for them to design, build and implement a software solution to a problem they were having. They suggested that in their estimation the project should run around $15 million. I thanked them for honoring me and my firm with a sole-source opportunity and then I went back to discuss the project with a couple of my partners and a few technical experts in the firm. After a week of discussions, we came to the conclusion that what they wanted us to do wouldn't actually be the best solution for them for it would only partially address the symptoms of the problem and hardly at all eliminate the problem.

When the time came to deliver the proposal, I simply told the client that I and my partners didn't want to be engaged to do what it is they asked for for we didn't think it the right choice and we didn't see how it would be -- in the big picture -- a good use of their resources. It didn't take great powers of observation to tell that was not at all what they wanted to hear. That goes double for my client contact/friend who had been in a bit of an internal rivalry with one of his peers over how to resolve their problem and who had gotten the go ahead to pursue his approach. Although we refused to propose on what was initially requested, we did propose an entirely different solution -- albeit at $3 million more in fees and having a somewhat longer timeline and one that they had at that point not considered much -- that we thought would be the right approach for them.

Two weeks later they signed the deal and we started the project. When it was over, they were effusive in their gratitude for our having considered their situation and not just jumped to offer them a proposal that would, in the end, been little more than a waste of money. Sure, I could have just taken the $15 million and given them what they asked for, but the level of integrity it would have taken to do that would have been of no use to me in the years ahead. Service providers succeed because they consider what's really in the best interests of the patron and respond accordingly.

BTW, my friend at the client still came out smelling of roses for even though his original idea proved the wrong approach, he'd enjoined me and my partners rather than his colleague's preferred professional service providers who it was felt (I can't say if it would have been so) would have taken the $15 million and gone forward.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
OP - I'd start with the tune. Most bang/buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Couldn't care any less about this topic so off topic i go.....Those 269's look amazing
Much obliged. I have more pics in the garage - http://www.e90post.com/forums/bpgara...o=view&id=6686

269's close up: http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...80751_1280.jpg
      07-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er View Post
BTW, I saw in another thread that you admitted to driving 132mph. I'm not judging you, but, comparably, a 0-60 red light run really seems trivial, don't you think?
I did say that. I stand by it. I have no regret for having done so. Here is where I did it. http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ I don't go to the track anymore, and my car hasn't traveled at such speed since.

I won't deny regularly exceeding the speed limit; 70-80 mph is normal for me on a highway and I would be lying if I said I'm not usually driving at around 5 to 10 mph over the limit on suburban and city streets. Neither will I say that I think racing someone in a place congested enough to have stoplights is a wise move. But, also, as I said before, I wasn't always as reserved as I am now. I wasn't judging the OP; I was trying to understand from where he is coming, which is why I asked questions rather than making accusations.

Having worked in the PRC for several years, I understand that culturally and linguistically, asking a question is an aggressive move. I don't when that characteristic became part of American culture, but apparently it has.

Last edited by tony20009; 07-21-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Best upgrade path IMHO:

1. JB4
2. BMS Dual Cone Intake
3. VRSF Down pipes
4. VRSF/AMS/whoever Intercooler.

Those 4 alone can bump your 335i close to 350-375HP (roughly...)

But if you have a family you shouldn't do any of those...
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

This is why I shall never have kids. But if,God forbid, I do, I will drive everywhere in my own separate car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by supLOL View Post
This is why I shall never have kids. But if,God forbid, I do, I will drive everywhere in my own separate car.
No way. When the time comes, import an Audi RS4 Avant. Drive your kids to school at high subsonic speeds.
      07-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05

No way. When the time comes, import an Audi RS4 Avant. Drive your kids to school at high subsonic speeds.
Or if by that time it comes here, the RS6 Avant!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
... In any case, my point in sharing this with you all is that it got me thinking about the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get into AMG territory, at least 0-60 wise.

If you could put your response in the form of the manufacturer, name, and price of the part that'd be great. I'm think you could do it for a couple grand?
Back on Track (pun intended):

1. My first and best mod was installing a Quaife ATB differential:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570

2. That and decent, sticky, track tires for drag racing, only, to hook it up at a track.

3. Then the tune, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
And don't forget, guys: LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL.

Not only will it allow you put tons of power to the ground in a straight-line, but it will help tons in tight cornering.

Wouldn't call it the cheapest way to top 0-60 performance though. Something like $1.5k installed.
+1... word

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0