E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Portland area BMW dealer does the right thing!

02-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
glider4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Portland area BMW dealer does the right thing!

Usually you hear stories of how bad dealer service can be. I recently was pleasantly surprised to have dealer fess up, take responsibility and cover the cost to fix a problem they could have easily walked away from.

Almost two years ago I purchased a 2008 328i CPO'ed sedan from Kuni BMW in Beaverton, OR. The car came with nice tinted windows which looked great with the Montego Blue exterior. Last month I get pulled over by the sherriff's department for having window tinting that was too dark! My defense was that the dealer sold it to me that way! The cop turned out to be reasonable and just gave me two weeks to get it fixed.

Took the car to a window tint shop and the windows tested at 28% transmission. The least legal light transmission in Oregon is 35%.

The easiest and cheapest "fix" turned out to be getting an eye exam and notarized letter stating I needed the darker tint because I had sensitive eyes. That was OK because I do have sensitive eyes and wear sunglasses 100% iof the time when I'm outdoors. That exam and letter cost $89.

Called the sales manager at Kuni to complain about them selling me a car that was illegal to take of the lot when I purchased it. They said they normally pull over dark tint off cars before selling them and that mine must have slipped through the cracks somehow. Offered to cover my $89 in cost and apologized for my being pulled over. Got the check three days after sending them my bills!

Way to go Kuni BMW! Nice to have a dealership show integrity!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

So you'll still get pulled over and have to show your "papers"? Or do you get some sort of sticker on your license plate that shows your tint is "legal" so they don't pull you over anymore?
      02-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
glider4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Show 'em my papers!

This was the first time I'd been pulled over in 15+ years and I was totally shocked by the explanation of why he did it. Yes, I can get pulled over again but at least the next time I have my letter and I'll be ready. Yes, some kind of state supplied plate sticker would have been nice.....
I think the cops use it as a BS excuse to pull you over to see if you've been drinking or whatever. Now, with the letter, I can get my Tundra windows tinted as dark as I damm well please too!
Appreciate 0