E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Finding an e92 / Introduction thread

06-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: b8 a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335REGULATION View Post
I've been to that dealer. The owner(manager?) has/had a 335i too I believe . Seemed very knowledgeable about the 335i and told me he looks for turbo problem-free cars. I went to check a 335is, but did not buy it because the color was not the right one for me. It is a small dealership, from what I could tell, but I would have made business with them if the car was the one for me. I'm not recommending anyone, but that was my experience. I would invest on a PIP at a BMW dealership or with a shop that knows we'll the platform. It will be like $175, but that's nothing when considering you are investing $18k. BTW, you should get it for $16.5. Also, 2007s have their advantages. Diff in some are bolted, I believe some internals are forged, and IMO, my 2007 pulled harder than my 2009. The car is beautiful. Good luck.
Yeah I called yesterday and asked about the car. Before I even asked about the turbos, hpfp, the sales guy brought it up. He told me that the dealership "specializes" in the n54 motor. He said they buy and sell 335s/135s more than any other BMW. It felt nice to talk to a dealership that actually knows about the car... and yes, definitely not paying 18k for the car, $16.5 is what I'm hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #24
335REGULATION
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndgmes View Post
Yeah I called yesterday and asked about the car. Before I even asked about the turbos, hpfp, the sales guy brought it up. He told me that the dealership "specializes" in the n54 motor. He said they buy and sell 335s/135s more than any other BMW. It felt nice to talk to a dealership that actually knows about the car... and yes, definitely not paying 18k for the car, $16.5 is what I'm hoping for.
From personal experience I can tell you that they sold a car I was interested in (335is white/coral red, 6spd) because I was late to call. The car I checked and did not buy was another 335is blue/black 6spd. Manuals have a limited market, but not so much for the N54s. Go get it if you think it is the one.
      06-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
From personal experience I can tell you that they sold a car I was interested in (335is white/coral red, 6spd) because I was late to call. The car I checked and did not buy was another 335is blue/black 6spd. Manuals have a limited market, but not so much for the N54s. Go get it if you think it is the one.
Ended up passing on it. They refused to move on the price and I refuse to compromise on a warranty. Before taxes and interest we were already at $20k which is relatively high in my opinion... Hopefully one will come around.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #26
335REGULATION
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndgmes
Quote:
Ended up passing on it. They refused to move on the price and I refuse to compromise on a warranty. Before taxes and interest we were already at $20k which is relatively high in my opinion... Hopefully one will come around.
Sometimes you just have to walk away. I bought my 2011 335is MT Space with less than 9,000 miles for $26.7 before taxes...so $20k does seem a bit high for the market, but 6spds N54 are becoming more and more rare to find in clean condition and some are charging a premium. That doesn't mean you won't find another. Good luck!
      06-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #27
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Sometimes you just have to walk away. I bought my 2011 335is MT Space with less than 9,000 miles for $26.7 before taxes...so $20k does seem a bit high for the market, but 6spds N54 are becoming more and more rare to find in clean condition and some are charging a premium. That doesn't mean you won't find another. Good luck!
You found a unicorn!!!
      06-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #28
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I found an n52 car a few months back. I actually threw a deposit down on it back in May but the dealership was being kind of shady as far as the numbers go so I backed out. They took 3 days to get back to me on a credit app and when they finally did get back to me with numbers they threw in a warranty as well as out of state fees that I've never heard of. I did some research after I backed out on the deal and the dealership doesn't have the best of reviews. A lot of people have had issues with cars they've picked up from them.

That should be a red flag right there but I'm young and naive. *face palm*

This specific n52 car is literally the ONLY example I've come across in a 3 month search on the market. (n52, 24k miles, 6spd, sport, cold weather, SPACE GREY ~ I'm in love...) I pulled out of the deal back in May and since then the dealership has come down roughly $2,000 on sticker.

I'm thinking if I bring my own financing and get a PPI done at a reputable BMW dealership, It might be worth it to go back.

Thoughts? Feel free to tell me I'm jonesin' and being dumb.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

24k miles is pretty low, so I don't think there's anything wrong with car. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe search to see if it was involved in any kind of trouble (accident/theft, etc). And probably serviced under warranty so maybe one oil change tops.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #30
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
24k miles is pretty low, so I don't think there's anything wrong with car. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe search to see if it was involved in any kind of trouble (accident/theft, etc). And probably serviced under warranty so maybe one oil change tops.
It's very low. The only thing that scares me is the possibility of it being rolled back. I had an R32 that I'm convinced was rolled back and it was nothing but a headache. Carfax claims that it's a 1-owner car with a buy back guarantee, but you can never be sure. The dealership gets pretty bad reviews on google and yelp. There are a lot of people saying communication was terrible and the cars aren't what they seem.

I'm thinking if a trusted BMW dealership does a PPI on the car and it checks out, it might be worth it? They also offered me top dollar for my Audi on trade when we were in business last month...

Here's the car:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=171478139
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's very low. The only thing that scares me is the possibility of it being rolled back. I had an R32 that I'm convinced was rolled back and it was nothing but a headache. Carfax claims that it's a 1-owner car with a buy back guarantee, but you can never be sure. The dealership gets pretty bad reviews on google and yelp. There are a lot of people saying communication was terrible and the cars aren't what they seem.

I'm thinking if a trusted BMW dealership does a PPI on the car and it checks out, it might be worth it? They also offered me top dollar for my Audi on trade when we were in business last month...

Here's the car:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=171478139
You need specialized software to do that. Mileage is "etched' in different modules. The hardest if not impossible to roll back is in the ECU. If any one of the modules has been tampered (cluster or LCM) you will have the tamper dot lit up.
Also, there are tell-tales signs you can check out, like the wear on pedals, by the driver's door sill, handles and buttons and a few other. If these look worn and the mileage on the cluster is low - you know the answer. You can report that and then it's not pretty for whoever pulled the stint.
e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #32
Wksk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 6spd goes vroom!

Quote:
335i's yes. BUT, in this configuration (6spd, coral red, premium, sport, logic, etc) it's a rare car. Especially with the mileage. I could own it for 3 years, put 36k on it and it would still be considered low mileage.
Yeah it is a nice combo. Too bad you cant work out a deal.

I cant even begin to say how much work has already been done on my 2013 39k mile car that i bought at 29k miles a year ago. I tracked the old owner down from some paper work in the dash. He informed me of a whole new transmission was put in at 20k and stock charge pipe at some other point. Since ive owned it new cup holder, new oil pan gaskets, new evaporator and gaskets, new heater w integrated air conditioner.

Now that i think about it holy shit this car had some stuff done in its short life. thank god ive got 1 more month warranty and 2 years cpo.

If you get it i hope yours doesnt need anything in 1 year like mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #33
335REGULATION
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1
Quote:
You found a unicorn!!!
Yes She lives in her stable and joins me for cars and coffee on sunny days! She also has sunroof delete and saddle brown leather as her only options, which I find pretty cool (less weight and things to go wrong in the future e.g. NAV).
Attached Images

06-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #34
justalilbit
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

I'm considering coming back to BMW as well. Sold my 335i awhile ago to pay for school, ended up finding a job that paid better than what I'd go to school for in the long run. The 328i is a run little cruiser, was the first BMW I ever drove and I fell in love with it. In retrospect I didn't really use the 335's power much, wasn't really many opportunities. Was auto, too.

I can second that finding a good manual 328i is a tough search. Keep looking though, it's absolutely worth the wait to find the right car. Never settle due to impulse! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #35
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Yes She lives in her stable and joins me for cars and coffee on sunny days! She also has sunroof delete and saddle brown leather as her only options, which I find pretty cool (less weight and things to go wrong in the future e.g. NAV).
That is why I called it a unicorn! Just to remind you, I spoke to the dealership the night before you left a deposit. I called the next morning to leave a deposit myself only to find out that I was too late...

I love your car, should have been mine!!!

06-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #36
335REGULATION
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1
Quote:
That is why I called it a unicorn! Just to remind you, I spoke to the dealership the night before you left a deposit. I called the next morning to leave a deposit myself only to find out that I was too late...

I love your car, should have been mine!!!

Thanks, man!
      06-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #37
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE: Called the dealership that has said n52 car and they are totally cool with me sending it off for a PPI... Seems like a good omen if you ask me. If the car wasn't clean I doubt they'd be okay with it.

Also got pre approved with a decent rate at my local credit union... I don't wanna count my eggs before they hatch but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #38
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

GL with your car and hopefully you have a new ride for the 4th of July
e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #39
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I have a 328xi touring.
literally the heaviest configuration you could get.

it's not a rocket ship like my brother's E61 535, but it's fast enough to be enjoyable.
put the 330 intake manifold on it and an exhaust and pick up another 40 HP. be happy you can replace all 6 injectors for less than one n54 injector.
and you don't have to code them.....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #40
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
GL with your car and hopefully you have a new ride for the 4th of July
If it works out, I probably won't have it by then since I still have to de-bag my Audi lol. Hopefully by next weekend though!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #41
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I have a 328xi touring.
literally the heaviest configuration you could get.

it's not a rocket ship like my brother's E61 535, but it's fast enough to be enjoyable.
put the 330 intake manifold on it and an exhaust and pick up another 40 HP. be happy you can replace all 6 injectors for less than one n54 injector.
and you don't have to code them.....
Nice man! That's not a bad idea. I test drove a few n52 cars and it doesn't bother me. It's already faster than a stock A4 and paired with a MT it's an enjoyable ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #42
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3.../?pdk=CQQAAQED

2gs makes it plug and play, but it could be done for less if you can find some used 330 parts.
which is my plan.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #43
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

If you can ... get a 330i. The are more "performance" oriented than the 328i. More hp, more torque. I test drove a 6 spd 330i and it was a lot of fun ... it wants to go and go in higher rpm's. (didn't buy it ... dealership wanted too much for the interior's condition, and higher miles ... regardless of it being a sought after 6spd. went with 328i auto with super low miles).

IF you get a 328i ... I would suggest doing what many of us have done ... 3IM swap and a BPC tune (the best performing tune for 328's at the moment). This will turn the 328i into a 330i with a bit more power and torque than a stock 330. For myself this was the best alternative because 330i's aren't too plentiful around me ... or they have close to or over 100k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #44
mndgmes
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
If you can ... get a 330i. The are more "performance" oriented than the 328i. More hp, more torque. I test drove a 6 spd 330i and it was a lot of fun ... it wants to go and go in higher rpm's. (didn't buy it ... dealership wanted too much for the interior's condition, and higher miles ... regardless of it being a sought after 6spd. went with 328i auto with super low miles).

IF you get a 328i ... I would suggest doing what many of us have done ... 3IM swap and a BPC tune (the best performing tune for 328's at the moment). This will turn the 328i into a 330i with a bit more power and torque than a stock 330. For myself this was the best alternative because 330i's aren't too plentiful around me ... or they have close to or over 100k miles.
I'm not entirely concerned about power as I am about the platform. Right now getting my hands on a clean low mileage e92 is first priority. Finding the car in a manual variant hasn't been easy. I'm sure down the line I'll want more from it and the tune doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Again not to count my eggs before they hatch, but I think from the start (if I get this specific car in Chicago) I'll do a front plate removal and get the holes filled in, then since we're already doing body work I'd source a 335i rear bumper, throw that on and get the exhaust rerouted (I know 335i guys hate that but I love the dual exhaust haha), find a nice set of ST coilovers, style 230 wheels with spacers, potentially buy a full coral red interior on eBay, and just enjoy the crap out of it for a while. Then maybe I'll dive more into it...

wait,

I'm already getting way too involved lol *face palm*
Appreciate 0