E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > v2.0.2 User Documentation Here

12-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #133
Sharewin@Logic
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
A buddy of mine has an M5 with quite a few mods... I always need to be ready...
hahah i know how you feel

Newly acquired 3,400 sq foot facility with in house state of the art Mustang Dyno.

20 years combined experience in the High Performance automotive industry, Friendly sales staff, Showroom, Performance upgrades, Group Buys, Exterior, Interior, Suspension, Wheels, EFI trained and certified Dyno tuning facility, Quality installation. Online shopping.

Logic Motorsports LLC
2362 East Orangethorpe ave
Anaheim Ca, 92806
714.738.3737 shop
714.738.3734 fax
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #134
Sharewin@Logic
Private
Rep

If your wondering if the switch between .1 and .2 will be worth it. Yes it is.

.2 feels just more aggressive and smoother throughout the power band. (on base settings)

Newly acquired 3,400 sq foot facility with in house state of the art Mustang Dyno.

20 years combined experience in the High Performance automotive industry, Friendly sales staff, Showroom, Performance upgrades, Group Buys, Exterior, Interior, Suspension, Wheels, EFI trained and certified Dyno tuning facility, Quality installation. Online shopping.

Logic Motorsports LLC
Anaheim Ca, 92806
714.738.3737 shop
714.738.3734 fax
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #135
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharewin@Logic View Post
If your wondering if the switch between .1 and .2 will be worth it. Yes it is.

.2 feels just more aggressive and smoother throughout the power band. (on base settings)
I dont mind... at least I'll save a little $$ on gas then huh
      12-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #136
Sharewin@Logic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
I dont mind... at least I'll save a little $$ on gas then huh
100 octane will always take 91.

Hmm to put it to perspective .2 is like .1 on 93 octane maybe alittle less.

Logic Motorsports LLC
Anaheim Ca, 92806
714.738.3737 shop
714.738.3734 fax
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #137
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I really cant answer that unfortunately. Too many variables. And I'd suggest going back to the baseline defaults with v2.0.1 unless you are running a race gas mix. Running higher boost doesn't necessarily make the care faster when/if the ECU is running less timing.

Next week, I'm going to post a 'how-to gauge performance using the PROcede logging software' instructional. It will make it easy to see if the changes one is inducing is helping or hurting. Takes guesswork out of the equation.

Shiv
so what's the minimum octane to run 100%? The way you are describing it, the 100%? By what you are describing, 100% is a race gas map.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #138
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
For those with an upgraded intercooler(I have the spearco unit), is it safe to deviate from the default settings as long as the boost is monitored? Or is better to wait for a specific map from you as you mentioned for those with DP's?

In addition, how do you recommend the car be driven for the ECU to properly adapt for those who are upgrading from V1.xx to V2? Is it ok to go balls out on the car, primarily with consecutive 3rd gear full throttle pulls as you have previously mentioned in this thread? Or gradually increase throttle with successive runs? Sorry if this has been covered before.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #139
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM335 View Post
scalbert, thanks for the response. Can you post some pics? Thanks.
Here you go:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71817
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #140
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Next week, I'm going to post a 'how-to gauge performance using the PROcede logging software' instructional. It will make it easy to see if the changes one is inducing is helping or hurting. Takes guesswork out of the equation.
Hrmm, a BMW FATS time?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #141
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Thanks for the answer's to my questions Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #142
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Hrmm, a BMW FATS time?
Funny you mention that. About 4 years ago, I posted up a standardized vagcom test, which later became known as the fats test. Publicly, I stated that fats was "For Advancing The S." If you want to know what the acronym really stood for PM me. Haha, thanks for that trip down memory lane.

Here is the orginal vagcom post, and the orginal FATS post. Oh, so long ago.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1597484.phtml

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1596630.phtml

Last edited by Dustin Bramell; 12-02-2007 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #143
AM335
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Thanks.

Speed Up My Computer .......... Aion Download
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #144
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu View Post
Funny you mention that. About 4 years ago, I posted up a standardized vagcom test, which later became known as the fats test. Publicly, I stated that fats was "For Advancing The S." If you want to know what the acronym really stood for PM me. Haha, thanks for that trip down memory lane.

Here is the orginal vagcom post, and the orginal FATS post. Oh, so long ago.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1597484.phtml

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1596630.phtml
That is good to see as I was curious where the acronym came from.

Now time to come up with something similar for the 335i.

http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/Au...h_01182007.htm

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #145
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
My question is similar. Im running default torque #s for 2.0.1 with no issues whatsoever. The boost gauge consistently reads 15.6-16psi when doing a max recal. When my wife watches the gauge it sticks around 14psi as I am building through the rpm range.

Is it worth my time to even install 2.0.2 if I have no issues?

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #146
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
Yes, for the added 6k rev plus pull. Plus, the 2.0.2 map is even smoother in delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #147
Rexmachineturbo
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 and M235 cabrio

QUOTE] Just wondering , have you remove the speed limit of 250km/hr on the V2 yet? thanks.

Cheerios
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #148
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Thanks again to lawdude for revising the docs for me. I further revised the section on the user torque table adjustment btw. It brushes upon the effects of intake charge temps with regards to boost pressures. There will be another tech thread that I will post describing the relationship (and whys and hows) shortly.

Version 2.0.2
Read Me
Two Versions

I. Please note that there are two version of this map. v2.0.2 6AT is for Steptronic Auto. v2.0.2 b6MT is for the manual transmission. It is important to run the appropriate map. Running the wrong map will induce drivability issues and potentially trigger diagnostic trouble codes.

Uploading The Map
I. Disconnect The Battery
II. Ignition On, Engine Off

I. Before you upload the map, disconnect the negative pole Of the battery for 45 minutes. Remove the tool box panel on the right side of your trunk just behind the tail light assembly. Don't close your trunk until you have reconnected the battery. Remember to reconnect the battery before proceeding to the next step.

II. Upload this map like any other map using the PROcede user software. Ignition on, engine not running.

User Maps
No Adjustments To User Settings For 50 Miles

Do not make any adjustments to the User Adjustable Torque map before uploading. The default settings are calibrated to provide smooth and consistent power delivery on a stock 335i/xi. It is recommended that you run these default settings for at least 50 miles before modifying any setting.

Adjusting User Torque Table
I. Stock Settings
II. User Defined Torque Settings

I. The default settings are 90% across the board (at all engine speeds). This is the suggested setting if you want a conservative tune. With these settings, boost pressure will be approximately 10-12psi until 4500RPM and gradually ramping up to a peak of 12-14psi by 5500RPM (dependent on intake charge temperature). These settings will provide approximately 340-350whp (or 380 to 390bhp) on an otherwise stock car, running pump gas. If this is good enough for you, you can skip to section about Fuel Requirements.

II. For even greater performance, the User Torque table can be adjusted upwards. To do this safely, you will need to monitor maximum boost pressure. Preferably with someone else driving your car and your laptop on your lap with the communication cable running through your window. Boost pressure is displayed (in PSI) in the User Software. The maximum allowable boost, at full throttle, should be no greater than 14.5-15psi at 5500RPM. Before you begin raising boost, you must confirm the boost pressure you are currently running on the default settings. To do this, you will need to run your car hard from 1st to 4th gear. You will notice that the longer you are on boost (ie, by the time you get to 4th gear) the higher the boost pressures. This is because the factory ECU raises boost as intake charge temperature increase (and air charge density decreases). This is done to achieve consistent power output. Please note that when you first run your car with a new v2 map, you may experience noticeable boost spikes the first few times you induce full throttle. This spiking behavior with diminish quickly as the ECU adapts to the new boost control settings.
If local speed laws prohibit you from going that fast, do successive 2nd to 3rd gear pulls with minimal cool down between runs. This will get things sufficiently hot to induce maximum boost levels. If you see 14.5-15psi at 5500rpm, leave your User Torque table alone. You are already running the maximum allowable boost pressure. Skip the next part.

If you are not and chose to run the maximum allowable boost pressure, you will need to raise the values in the User Torque table. Do this by adding just 2% across the board (at all engine speeds). After this adjustment, measure boost by conducting the same full throttle tests. If the desired boost pressure is still not achieved, you can add another 2%. And test again. To make fine adjustments to peak boost pressure, 1% increments (in either direction) can be made. To achieve the maximum allowable 14.5-15psi at 5500RPM, you may ultimately end up with 93% across the board. Maybe as high as 95. This is normal. Do NOT arbitrarily set all values to 100%. This is bad. It can cause engine damage.

More About Boost Pressures
I. Monitoring Boost Via PROcede Software
II. Using A Boost Gauge

I. If you don’t have a boost gauge, you will need to temporarily monitor boost using the PROcede software (and your laptop). It is important to realize that this boost reading comes from a boost pressure sensor which is located in the upper intercooler pipe, NOT in the intake manifold. As such, the boost readings will be subject to short term spikes upon sudden throttle openings and closures. Ignore these pressure spikes. It does not represent the pressure in the intake manifold. Boost will also fluctuate depending on ambient temperature. On colder nights, boost pressure may be slightly lower. On warmer days, slightly higher. But regardless of conditions, the maximum safe boost pressure of 14.5-15psi at 5500RPM still applies.

II. If you do have a boost gauge installed, make sure that the boost signal is coming from the signal line used by the bypass valves. Also, make sure the gauge is properly calibrated. It must read 0psi with the ignition on the “ON” position (but engine not running). Many inexpensive mechanical boost gauges (Autometer... cough cough) are often hopelessly inaccurate and can provide false data.

Fuel Requirements
I. Minimum 91 (R+M)/2 Octane
II. Unleaded Race Gas

I. As always, you must run premium grade fuel with this map. In CA (and some other states) the best gas available is 91 octane. If this applies to you, you can run this gas. Just make sure you use a reputable gas station. Brands we found to work the best (in California) are Shell and 76. In most other US states, 93-94 octane is available. If this is the case where you live, you must use it. Use a reputable brand as well (no Costco, Rotten Robbie, etc.) Running substandard fuel can result in drivability issues and even engine damage. For those who live in other countries, please note that US octane ratings are different than your octane ratings. Since they are not measured on the same scale, you must take care in choosing the appropriate fuel. Due to the difference in rating technique, the nominal octane rating will be much higher than the 91-94 octane we get here in the US.

II. It is perfectly acceptable to run high octane race fuels (Unleaded only!) with your PROcede. Mixing pump and race gas is also fine. Doing so will result in high power output and improved engine response. When running a higher octane race gas mixture, is also possible to raise boost pressures beyond the 14.5-15psi maximum pressure specified above. Additional instructions will be provided for doing just that in due time. For now, however, do not exceed the suggested boost limit.

Drag Racing/Road Racing
I. Fuel
II. ECU Adaptation

I. Although v2.0.2 is suitable for pump gas, additional performance can be had by running high octane race fuel. Even without any changes to the User Torque table. For optimal drag racing results, run with 1/4 tank of unleaded race fuel. To do this, run your tank down to the point where you dash computer says you have 0 miles left (don't worry, you actually have 10-20 miles left). Then add 5 gallons of unleaded race gas (VP109 works great!).

II. Before running the car at the strip, do some 3rd gear pulls on the highway. This will allow the ECU to adapt for the higher octane. This will yield noticeable power gains. For road racing, it is advisable to run at least a 50/50 mixture of race gas and pump gas. This is because of the sustained thermal loading your car will be subject to during hot-lapping conditions. The race gas mixture will prevent ignition timing retard caused by elevated intake charge temps. This will keep the car running more consistently and cooler.

Vehicles with Additional Upgrades
I. Downpipes
II. Air Intakes

If you have other upgrades on your vehicle (downpipes, intake, etc,.), the following information may be useful:

I. Downpipes: This upgrade may induce boost spiking due to the elimination of back-pressure in the exhaust system. It is recommended that you leave the default torque settings alone until a downpipe-specific map is supplied by us.

II. Upgraded intakes: Direct replacement ITG air filters have been shown to be worth 7-10whp over the stock unit when running v2.0.2. It is a worthwhile upgrade. We have them in stock. If you want one, call us Cone filters have been shown to be worth even more power at the expense of extra induction noise and a non-stock underhood appearance. We have a system under development

Last edited by OpenFlash; 12-02-2007 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #149
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Haha, just in case someone might mistake me for a tuning guru, my revision had nothing whatsoever to do with the substance of the information - just the format.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #150
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

How long do you think Shiv until a downpipe map will be available?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #151
e92law
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e70

Quote:
The maximum allowable boost, at full throttle, should be no greater than 14-14.5psi at 5500RPM.

To achieve the maximum allowable 14.5-15psi at 5500RPM, you may ultimately end up with 93% across the board.
Still have the issue with listed boost values. One section still states 14.0-14.5, and the others state 14.5-15.0
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #152
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92law View Post
Still have the issue with listed boost values. One section still states 14.0-14.5, and the others state 14.5-15.0
Fixed... Thanks for catching that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #153
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
How long do you think Shiv until a downpipe map will be available?

Thanks
As soon as we get them for Riss. I think we'll be one of the first to get them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #154
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Im assuming you will tune to the catless DPs? Will you run a map with a stock exhaust or pair it up with your exhuast exclusively? I know they dont get CELs right now with the catless DPs + stock exhaust, but I would bet my left nut that they will with an aftermarket exhaust...especially if its catless.
Appreciate 0