E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Leaking from oil filter o-ring

11-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
riqs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i

Leaking from oil filter o-ring

Hi everyone. I'm having an issue I'm hoping to get some advice on. I've got a 2004 330i with 98K miles on it. I just did an oil change which was the first I've done on this vehicle because I had always brought it to the dealer before. I'd actually never changed a canister filter before and I bought the filter from Checker. I ended up cruching the o-ring by putting the filter cap on too tight (I'm blaming the 36mm socket required for that thing...I guess I was just feeling too manly. I didn't realize it until the next day when I saw the oil drips. When I realized what I had done I went back to Checker and just bought another filter since they didn't just sell the o-ring and used that o-ring. I also bought a torque wrench so I would know when I was hitting the 25nM it suggests. After I put it on, I turned on the car and watched it with a flashlight. After about 30 seconds, the o-ring bulged out and the oil started oozing. By this point I'm realizing that after market sucks and I should have driven the extra 15 miles to the dealership for the filter...which I just did today and bought their $8 o-ring. I put it on using the specified torque and it did the same thing! After 30 seconds the o-ring bulged out and the oil started flowing.

I'm at a loss as far as what I can do. I'm not exactly a "car guy" but it seems like this shouldn't be this difficult! I would appreciate any advice before I take it in.

Just to reiterate...the oil is definitely coming from the o-ring at the oil filter. I saw the actual rubber seal bulge out both times I replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I think your putting the oring in the wrong place. There is a groove for the oring to sit in. It doesn't go all the way to the top.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

also make sure you run a fingertip of oil around the o-ring.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

+3
Improper O-ring seat, as stated already, is the most likely cause. Make sure it sits in the groove- a dab of oil around the o-ring helps to keep it in place as you tighten down
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I think everyone is correct, you are not seating the O-ring in the square groove just above the cap threads, and coating the O-ring with oil to lubricate it as it seats in the housing.

Also, since you've already over-torqued the filter cap, it now may have a crack in it, or be damaged in some fashion, where it will now not let the O-ring seal properly. Go on line to realOEM.com, plug in the last 7 digits of your car's VIN, look up the correct part number for a new oil filter cap; it should be less that $15, and it comes with a new filter kit. Then copy and paste the part number into getBMWparts.com, and order a new oil filter cap kit and just replace the old cap and properly torque it to spec. It's plastic; it doesn't need/take much torque. O-rings don't seal any better with more torque; they just seat and that's it.
Appreciate 0