Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need Replacement tires for 335d 2011 Sport

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Propofol2008
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d 2011

Need Replacement tires for 335d 2011 Sport

Hi,

I have 2011 BMW 335d Sports Package. It originally came with Staggered Fit tires. The are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A I RFT. The front and Rear are 225/40R18 and 255/35R18 respectively.

I have 27K miles on my car and it is time to replace the tires. I live in Southern California and will be moving to Chicago in the next couple of months.

I am interested in Buying Non Run Flat tires and all season tires since I will be moving to Chicago. I was wondering what are good tires for 335d that will give me good comfort and mileage out of them. I was thinking of getting Michellin Pilot Sport Pluses. Any other recommendation will be highly recommended. Also please recommend a place e.g. Costco or BigOtires to get the tires from.

I guess I also need to buy a donut tire and tire replacement tool kit. From where.

thxs

JR
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Get summer tires and a separate set of winter tires when in Chicago. All seasons are not going to work well in the winter, especially with the gobs of torque with the diesel motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I don't know how much snow you'll encounter in Chicago, but if you opt for all-seasons, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS seems to perform as well as the Michelin A/S at a much lower cost.

While I don't drive my DWS shod 128i in snow, the trires both handle and ride better than the OEM Goodyear RFTs.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

If you are in and around City, all season tires should be the best option.
Chicago is no 1 in the country when it comes to snow plowing.

Tires: Conti DWS, i heard good reviews about these, but these tires have been on back order for a long time.

Another option is General G-MAX AS03, ultra high performance all season tire.
Tirerack had really great reviews about these tires.
I got 235/265 19'' staggered combo for $836 (including shipping & road hazard warranty for 3 yrs) from tirerack.com. So far im highly satisfied with these and they are super quite.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol2008 View Post
Hi,

I have 2011 BMW 335d Sports Package. It originally came with Staggered Fit tires. The are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A I RFT. The front and Rear are 225/40R18 and 255/35R18 respectively.

I have 27K miles on my car and it is time to replace the tires. I live in Southern California and will be moving to Chicago in the next couple of months.

I am interested in Buying Non Run Flat tires and all season tires since I will be moving to Chicago. I was wondering what are good tires for 335d that will give me good comfort and mileage out of them. I was thinking of getting Michellin Pilot Sport Pluses. Any other recommendation will be highly recommended. Also please recommend a place e.g. Costco or BigOtires to get the tires from.

I guess I also need to buy a donut tire and tire replacement tool kit. From where.

thxs

JR
Just replaced the OEM runflats with Michelin PSS in OEM size and they are amazing summer tires. Using Mobility kit with this instead of donut.

For winter an all season is not going to take the torque, for that I run Pirelli Slotto Zero's on the 335D using a winter non staggered set.

For comparison I have Blizzaks on the 323i.

The pirelli is better suited to hard pack snow, or ice which is more used for highway driving in winter and the Blizzaks are better in the soft snow, ice which comes in handy because the city doesn't really clean the side streets unless their criteria of 6" height difference in the ruts occurs.

Even in winter conditions you will still find you need to be gentle on the throttle, but you will at least have more traction.

If the roads in the city are cleaned very very well and sanded I would entertain all seasons, but everyone needs to determine this on how and where they drive.

Hope this information is helpful and with winter tires only about 1 1/2 months from being installed it is coming up fast.
      09-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I have Conti DWS on mine. Great tires for what they are. The perform well in the snow and when there is lots of water on the road, not to mention their roading handling characteristics for an all-season are very good -- just do not expect them to peform like a true performance tire, their sidewalls are a bit softer.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

The DWS from my experience is a good All Weather Tire. Ive driven them in summer, flodding rain, and fresh and packed snow. This was on my STS-V. So the toruqe is familir to me. They lasted a long time, softer on the backside than the run flats it came with. With them you still need to be mindful of the pedal as torque will break them lose in the hard packed snow and ice I would still put them high on the list if you are not running a winter set. Chicago can get a lot of white stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

If you're going to run just one set of tires year round for non run flat tires in the snowy midwest, check out the Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S Pole Position.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0