E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Leased Cars.

01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Question Leased Cars.

Has anyone got experience off handing back a leased car?
Here are a couple off questions-

1, How fussy are they on slightly kerbed wheels?
2, Would they look at unused mileage and off set against any minor damage? (Small scratches and stone chips)
3, Do they over charge for repairs?

I have a large scratch on the edge off the bumper that I know I'll need to get fixed and also a small bump, Just next to the reg plate where someone has reversed into it.
This has dented the plastic so I think it will need a whole new bumper anyway

So is it worth repairing the scratch and hope they don't notice the small bump or just get a new bumper fitted through insurance at a cost of £250 excess.?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

Have a read of this guide, this is what BMW go by when determining "fair wear and tear"

As far as I am aware, they won't take into account and mileage under what they expect back, but will penalise you for being over.

I recently returned mine and they guy that came to collect it went oevr it with a finetooth comb, made sure the tyres were runflats, took photos of defects etc

Having done all that, I asked where he was taking the car back to and he replied "the local BCA auction centre"

If you can make the scatch and dent less noticeable, maybethey will miss them on inspection
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The link to the guide just gives me a black page.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Thank's for that link, Oh well, Look's like it's a new bumper and 2 wheels need refurbed as well

Will wait till just before the car goes back.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
With BMW wanting + 18p per mile over the allowance, you can be sure they will have you pants down on just about anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

In my experience it's totally down to how on the ball the collection agent is. We've had damage on cars and vans that have made me wince and they've not even spotted it or they've chosen not to mention it. I'm very much in favour of making them a cup of tea and having a chat while they're inspecting.

For example my last car (Saab 9-3) had a huge scuff on the rear bumper where my wife had scraped down a concrete pillar. The collection agent didn't even notice so the car was collected with 'no damage'. We later got a bill from the lease company but we just refused it saying the agent had signed off on the car. Fair enough said the lease company.

Finally the other thing to keep in mind is that as previously mentioned these vehicles usually go straight to auction. It's unlikely a vehicle would have minor repairs carried out before that. The charges by a lease company usually reflect what it may lose at auction with the damage rather than what it would be to replace the part. So the damage on yours may cost you £250 excess and some pain with your insurance company but the lease company may only charge you that in total.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Agree with all the above, A few years ago I was handing back one of my coupes and it had a pretty large scratch on the bonnet which I was quoted over £300 to repair by a local bodyshop in the end I didn't have the time to leave it with them and decided to take the risk handing it back with the damage. The guy of course noticed it and said I'm afraid I'm going to have to charge you £50 for that damage, result.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
It sounds to me like your bumper damage could probably be sorted by a good smart repair company.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

The wifes Citroen was collected last year - a slick operation. There were a number of stone chips that we simply had to 'agree to disagree' about in terms of what was fair wear and tear. We both took pictures. Expecting a dispute, I then received a letter saying the car was returned satisfactory and no charges would be made. On a 30k allowance, it want back with 29996 miles on. Satisfying.

The recent merc has come with a really detailed guide in how it should be returned, including cut out shapes that show what size dents are allowable, and examples of what levels of kerbing, scratching and interior damage are allowable. I wouldn't dare let my car get anywhere near that condition as a matter of pride. I willl be going back with 10-15k more miles than agreed, so expect to be billed accordingly.
Appreciate 0