E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > It just irritates me when other drivers....

08-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

It just irritates me when other drivers....

So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

It just irritates me when other drivers:
  • On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • Double park/stand and leave nobody behind the wheel.
  • An emergency services vehicle, lights flashing, clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: added "lights flashing" because that's what I really meant
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Ubersmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It really annoys me when people don't use signals, for example if I'm pulling out of a shopping center and waiting for one single car who ends up turning into the shopping center without a signal. Just wastes time and makes all the cars pulling out the shopping center have to wait for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

My rant is people that make a left turn into the rightmost lane. It's illegal, people.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose
My rant is people that make a left turn into the rightmost lane. It's illegal, people.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

• On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.
1. I agree with this! If you're going to pass the person in front of you...better step on it!

2. Yes, everyone should use their turn signals and people who don't use their turn signals tick me off A LOT. However, it doesn't really make THAT much of a difference @ a red light. On a green light, not using turn signals is just stupid and potentially dangerous.

3. I understand why this annoys you but keep in mind that people aren't obliged to make way for you just because you're moving faster in traffic. You shouldn't even be move much faster than other cars in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. (to be clear: rush hour for me is 7AM LA traffic...bumper to bumper)

4&6. I hate double parkers period. I hate people who take up 2 spots even more!

5. Again, people shouldn't make way for you just because you're driving faster. They shouldn't be obliged to drive faster just because you're driving faster. (I'm assuming that everyone is abiding by the speed limit +/- 5 mph)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I'm guilty...but I only do it when I have to make a right turn right away. For example, I turn left and want to get into the McDonalds right at the corner of the intersection. Otherwise, I tend to stick to my lane.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328pride View Post
1. I agree with this! If you're going to pass the person in front of you...better step on it!

2. Yes, everyone should use their turn signals and people who don't use their turn signals tick me off A LOT. However, it doesn't really make THAT much of a difference @ a red light. On a green light, not using turn signals is just stupid and potentially dangerous.

3. I understand why this annoys you but keep in mind that people aren't obliged to make way for you just because you're moving faster in traffic. You shouldn't even be move much faster than other cars in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. (to be clear: rush hour for me is 7AM LA traffic...bumper to bumper)

5. Again, people shouldn't make way for you just because you're driving faster. They shouldn't be obliged to drive faster just because you're driving faster. (I'm assuming that everyone is abiding by the speed limit +/- 5 mph)

I'm guilty...but I only do it when I have to make a right turn right away. For example, I turn left and want to get into the McDonalds right at the corner of the intersection. Otherwise, I tend to stick to my lane.
3 & 5 - Yes they should. It's called common courtesy. These are the same people that stand in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store having a conversation making everyone else find a way around them. Short story: speed up or get out of the way and don't complain when people are blowing by you on all sides. You are the problem, they are not.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Oregon drivers annoy me...they are soooo slow.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

I agree with everything you have OP....especially the one where people merged into my lane and moving at a speed much slower than mine, forcing me to step on the brake. I hate them as much as the people that pull out of a plaza or driveway and drive super slow, while knowing that I'm moving a lot faster and really close to their rear in the same lane, forcing me to stomp on the brake.

here are a few of my own:

1) people that drive slow as hell then get pissed off when i pass them and move into their lane.

2) people that drive exactly the speed limit or +5mph in the left (fastest) lane....if you cant drive fast then move ur ass to the slower lanes!

3) people the park their big car or suv in the COMPACT parking spaces....taking up two spaces...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
3 & 5 - Yes they should. It's called common courtesy. These are the same people that stand in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store having a conversation making everyone else find a way around them. Short story: speed up or get out of the way and don't complain when people are blowing by you on all sides. You are the problem, they are not.
I think common courtesy just doesn't work in tight traffic situations. He mentioned rush hour traffic in #3. I mentioned my definition of rush hour. If it's a bumper to bumper situation, I'll definitely claw my way through if necessary/possible just like everyone else.

On a free flowing traffic, I'll definitely move out of the way (IF POSSIBLE) just to prevent road rage and the common courtesy applies in this situation. But remember, it's a courtesy...not an obligation. Males paying for dinner @ a date is courtesy not an obligation (but you lose "points" if you let her pay ).

I'm not saying that people should never move just because you're fast. What I'm saying is don't expect them to move and don't complain if they don't move just like how they shouldn't complain if you pass them. This is all assuming the slower car isn't hogging the passing/fast lane.

I've never been in an emergency service vehicle before but if they're going slow, I make the effort to go around them. I also consider a few things: they probably have sensitive equipment, they have poor visibility to see you, and possibly slowing down for a stop/turn.

These things are up to the driver's perceptions and personality. I understand why the OP is annoyed with these things and why he's annoyed. I have little pet peeves too like people who don't use their turn signals or people that turn left just when a light turned green. I believe that just because you're going 50 on a 35, it doesn't make you king. But hey, to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:

• An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
Looks like a good list to me.....About the "they are not obligated thing" love driving in on expressways in Europe because drivers always tuck back inside & don't block up the outside lane/lanes regardless of the speed limit.

I guess its less of a hall monitor mentality there.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137
Hey now, not all of us.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Looks like a good list to me.....About the "they are not obligated thing" love driving in on expressways in Europe because drivers always tuck back inside & don't block up the outside lane/lanes regardless of the speed limit.

I guess its less of a hall monitor mentality there.
Yes I agree. I guess, it's a fault on my part for not mentioning that slower cars shouldn't block the faster lanes or the slower car shouldn't hold up traffic on a 2 lane street (one going your way and one going against).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Add one more..

While merging onto highway person driving in right most lane simply refuses to move over even if they can.. That gets my good pressure going..
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
Add one more..

While merging onto highway person driving in right most lane simply refuses to move over even if they can.. That gets my good pressure going..
To add on top of this...people in the left lane moving into the right lane when others just entering the highway are trying to merge into the right lane...

Biggest peeve will always be people driving slowly in the left lane just because it happens ALL the time. I especially hate it when trucks are in the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

People that speeds up while you are overtaking them, biggest arseholes on the road IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
People that speeds up while you are overtaking them, biggest arseholes on the road IMO.

+1 .. WTF.. And they are usually Oregon drivers
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
Can you give an example? Most examples I can think of off the top of my head are scenarios where you could easily slow down to accomplish whatever you wanted to accomplish.

One scenario where I can see this being incredibly dangerous and obnoxious is if you're trying to overtake someone while you're in the oncoming lane on a 1 lane road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
Add one more..

Huh. Not sure if I agree with this one. Can't you simply slow down or speed up to merge safely anyways?

Anyways, my biggest "on road" pet peeve is probably tailgating. In the past if I was feeling especially devious I'd engage my windshield wipers if I had someone tailgating me. I'd find that some of the residual windshield washer fluid would spray onto the tailgater's windshield, prompting him or her to engage his windshield wiper. Rinse and repeat if he doesn't get the message (pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328pride View Post

You brought out several ambiguities in my OP. TY for calling them to my attention. I usually am not so loosey-goosey and unclear in my written statements. Apologies.

Turn Signals at Lights:
Around DC there are a lot of places where there are two or three lanes on either side of the road and where you can make a legal left turn; however, if you approached the light and didn't have signal on, folks think you are going straight and stay behind you. If you had put your turn signal on, folks would have moved over to the adjacent lane so as not to get stuck behind you. Ditto downtown in DC where at rush hour, you can often only get one turning car through the signal before the signal turns. The turners have to yield to pedestrians and they have to yield to oncoming traffic on the other side.

Rush hour brakers:
Bumper to bumper crawls isn't what I meant. (I haven't actually been in that type of rush hour traffic in over 10 years.) I wasn't clear enough in my OP. I really meant the traffic that's at the early or late part of rush hour. The rush hour comprised of either early birds or stragglers and the traffic is moving along at speed. TY for pointing out my oversight.

Emergency Vehicles:
I really meant the ones with the lights flashing and obviously headed to an emergency.

Making Way: (With regard to no single prior comment)
I agree that folks don't need to move just because I'm moving faster than they. But I don't think they need to move into the left lane and just hang out there. Most particularly when they are in the left and going on and on and on at a pace where nobody else can pass them or the person to their right. I probably should have said it that way(or something more or less like that) at first.

One I forgot to mention:
  • Drivers who do more than drink non-alcoholic beverages while driving. This especially includes women applying makeup, people reading anything besides street signs and the like, and folks holding a telephone up to their ear. Why they can't just find a damn place to pull over and do their "business" is beyond me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by tony20009; 08-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: grammar in the second paragrpah
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Pretty much anything a Prius does will annoy me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137
Hey now, not all of us.
True, but you have to admit the majority of them are slow. Took me forever to get to PDX today.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You brought out several ambiguities in my OP. TY for calling them to my attention. I usually am not so loosey-goosey and unclear in my written statements. Apologies.

Turn Signals at Lights:
Around DC there are a lot of places there are two or three lanes on either side of the road and while you can make a legal left turn; however, if you approached the light and didn't have signal on, folks think you are going straight and stay behind you. If you had put your turn signal on, folks would have moved over to the adjacent lane so as not to get stuck behind you. Ditto downtown in DC where at rush hour, you can often only get one turning car through the signal before the signal turns. The turners have to yield to pedestrians and they have to yield to oncoming traffic on the other side.

Rush hour brakers:
Bumper to bumper crawls isn't what I meant. (I haven't actually been in that type of rush hour traffic in over 10 years.) I wasn't clear enough in my OP. I really meant the traffic that's at the early or late part of rush hour. The rush hour comprised of either early birds or stragglers and the traffic is moving along at speed. TY for pointing out my oversight.

Emergency Vehicles:
I really meant the ones with the lights flashing and obviously headed to an emergency.

Making Way: (With regard to no single prior comment)
I agree that folks don't need to move just because I'm moving faster than they. But I don't think they need to move into the left lane and just hang out there. Most particularly when they are in the left and going on and on and on at a pace where nobody else can pass them or the person to their right. I probably should have said it that way(or something more or less like that) at first.

One I forgot to mention:
  • Drivers who do more than drink non-alcoholic beverages while driving. This especially includes women applying makeup, people reading anything besides street signs and the like, and folks holding a telephone up to their ear. Why they can't just find a damn place to pull over and do their "business" is beyond me.
No issues on my part then

I just hate it when there's a car weaving in and out in thick traffic and ultimately cutting someone off and force that person to brake hard (and I could be the person behind the person cut off). I also hate it when people tail gate me while I'm not at the fast lane and all other lanes are free and open.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post

+99.9% If they are doing the speed limit somewhere other than the interstate, I'm somewhat more tolerant/patient, but by and large I agree. Regardless of what speed such folks want to drive, they definitely have no business impeding others, even if others want to exceed the speed limit.

Why 99.9%? Because perhapse 0.01% of the time, the described situation is merely the result of circumstances at that moment. The rest of the time, those drivers are just being asses, particularly the self-absorbed, "omniscient," elected and appointed government types (foreign and domestic) in the DC area who make a living, for all intents and purposes, supposedly in the "best interest" of us idiots who put them there. When one makes a living telling the rest of us what to do, how to do it, when to do it and rarely, when at all, allowing individuals any say in the matter (95% of all laws are passed because business wants them passed), one becomes convinced that one must as a result always know what's right in any given situation.

Appreciate 0