E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 325i to 330i conversion successful! Dyno charts included!

04-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #155
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabwind51 View Post
Awesome. You think you are gonna get it for the 128 as well? I might do it down the road for the 128 but I don't have the money at the moment.
i thought about, im gonna wait til warranty is up within a few months or so.

I really want to help out and be the lab rat for the 1er community, but the warranty is too valuable at this point, especially juggling these bimmers.

Hopefully when i sell the 30ci, ill pull the trigger on the 1er

Last edited by issabmw; 04-29-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #156
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
You can go through one of Powerhip's installers. They can flash the ECU through the OBD. Other tuners will be able to do the same thing.
Cool, which performance remap yields the most power? (powerchip, BMS, Hamann, AC)

I would love to see the 325 kick the 330s arse
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #157
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Update: added link to 328 thread! Here it is again: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381371
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #158
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post

hey hey we on the same team brother.
our enemies are M or A.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #159
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Update: I'm getting another tune for my car except this time it will be custom tuned on a dyno. Many thanks to Craven 328 for bringing this tune to e90post. Saturday May 15 is the big day so stay tuned!
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #160
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

I must concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Cool, which performance remap yields the most power? (powerchip, BMS, Hamann, AC)

After installing the BMS today, I'd love to run a 330s bc after the first 3 mods, the ride has balls.

Magnaflow Catback exhaust was my first mod and their dyno resulted 12hp stock intake, after installing AFE Stage 2, made huge difference and noticeable, and installing the BMS today, WOW I couldn't' stop driving. Im going to open up the mid-pipe and manifold upgrade next and call Magnaflow for another Dyno and compare charts from the first.

BTW, thanks to Gabe Hall from Magnaflow for hooking up the exhaust.

Depending on results, will go with a supercharger if the numbers don't show as expected. i want to see how far i can raise the numbers on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #161
cluejunior
Rep
Drives: Blue 2006 BMW 325xi

I own an '06 325xi and am due for a valvecover. I have been thinking about this mod for a while, except no one seems to mention the variable valvetiming that the 330 has. It seems like it is assumed all 325s 328s and 330s have the stepless valves, however I have never been under this impression. Perhaps my march 2006 manufacture date leaves me in a different situation than you later model year 325/328s. Any advice or knowledge that can help here? I have been quoted $1100 for the valvecover alone but want to acheive two birds with one stone and create a 'true' 330xi at the same time. Thanks ahead of time guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #162
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Here's my latest tune: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7325801

That dyno reads far lower numbers than the dynojet I used in my first run. There was a Z4 3.0si that dynoed at 214 whp stock and 224 whp tuned on the same dyno I used yesterday. Still not a stock 330i levels but we'll have to see how a car with less miles does.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #163
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluejunior View Post
I own an '06 325xi and am due for a valvecover. I have been thinking about this mod for a while, except no one seems to mention the variable valvetiming that the 330 has. It seems like it is assumed all 325s 328s and 330s have the stepless valves, however I have never been under this impression. Perhaps my march 2006 manufacture date leaves me in a different situation than you later model year 325/328s. Any advice or knowledge that can help here? I have been quoted $1100 for the valvecover alone but want to acheive two birds with one stone and create a 'true' 330xi at the same time. Thanks ahead of time guys.
Both the '25 and '30 engines have the same head (part numbers are identical). They have double vanos and single valvetronic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #164
cluejunior
Rep
Drives: Blue 2006 BMW 325xi

I'm almost positive my 325 doesn't have double vanos. When they gave me a 528 to drive the last time it was in for service i could feel the variable valvetiming with peddle modulation and got excellent response compared to my own. If I am just being stupid do you know if I can achieve what I am looking for through modification?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #165
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluejunior View Post
I'm almost positive my 325 doesn't have double vanos. When they gave me a 528 to drive the last time it was in for service i could feel the variable valvetiming with peddle modulation and got excellent response compared to my own. If I am just being stupid do you know if I can achieve what I am looking for through modification?
I checked wikipedea (I'm assuming the accuracy is good enough) and all N52 engines have double vanos and valvetronic even the 2.5L. The N52B30 has three varients and the only differences are the 3 stage intake, variable backpressure exhaust, and software tuning.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #166
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Well... It seems I have stepped into the middle of a war. There's a little bit of antagonism between Powerchip and Gintani to say the least. Powerchip believes I have taken sides in the matter. I want to make it clear to everyone here that this is NOT the case. I am an honest person, I do honest work, and I’m not out to destroy anyone’s reputation. I took me a while to save $1500+ to get this done. I wanted to do this conversion not just for me but for everyone here. My car was originally tuned by Powerchip in October of 2009 and in April of 2010 I decided to go with another tuner. I was completely hung out to dry and when I contacted powerchip, I was responded to with contempt. I was willing to spend more money with Powerchip to have the problem that they caused in the first place fixed.

I called Active Autowerk and a GIAC vendor to see my options. I finally found a tuner who was willing to help me. I got the tune done and it yielded more power as well as fixed my throttle response problem. The day before I went, I found out the Jeremy, the new tuner, was the one who originally tuned my car at Powerchip. I will not go into the details of Jeremy's reasons for leaving Powerchip because I don't know the details and I don't care to know. It's neither my problem nor my business.

Because Powerchip has not helped me solve my issues, I requested a refund. In my past dealings, I had been very respectful and cooperative in my emails, but this time I let my emotions get the best of me and was rather aggresive in my message to Powerchip. I was asked to reveal very specific details about my new tune, such as the location, the first and last name of the person who hooked up equipment to my car, weather I paid cash or credit, and my address. After I refused to give out the information, I was threatened (albeit subtly), with legal action. I’m not sure why as I have done nothing illegal. The person I was talking to (who will remain anonymous) has a personal problem with Jeremy and was trying to drag me into it. I really don’t want to get involved in any personal desputes. I would never have gone with another tune if I hadn't been ignored and treated with contempt.

While I will probably never do business again with Powerchip, the person I was talking to in not representative of the rest of the company. Matt, who runs Powerchip USA in socal, stepped in and offered to help. He's a customer oriented employee and want to see a good outcome of all this, but he has his hands tied because the person with which I had been dealing in my emails is involved. I'm not posting this message to be inflammatory or vindictive. I believe my experience with Powerchip is unique and is not fully representative of their reputation. I want to share my experience because this is what happens when you tune your car. I'm not the first person to experience these types of problems and I will certainly not be the last. There's not really much you can do about it other than be persistent and hold back your emotions.

This conversion project, however, is far from dead. I will be working with Jeremy to finalize the tune. Thank you all for your continuing support and knowledge. I could not have accomplished what I have so far without this community.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #167
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Well... It seems I have stepped into the middle of a war. There's a little bit of antagonism between Powerchip and Gintani to say the least. Powerchip believes ......this community.
Wow, that sounds like a whole wad of BS that I would not have any patience for.
      05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #168
325/528
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

That is interesting. I called powerchip and they acted like they had never been involved in a 325 to 330 conversion before. They were incredibly hard to get hold of. They sent an email and the price was $640 and when I asked about that, it was more than $900 for the tune. I don't know if they were incredibly busy or what the problem was. Hopefully it will get resolved in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #169
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Wow, that sounds like a whole wad of BS that I would not have any patience for.
+2
get a lawyer...In the end you may win and the losing side will pay the costs

Good shit with the car, you inspire me. and now i no longer have sadness that my car is unmodable and not that fast...
      06-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #170
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
how much do you think the best tune would run me....i have an eisenmann exhaust, would that be custom?
      06-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #171
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
how much do you think the best tune would run me....i have an eisenmann exhaust, would that be custom?
If the exhaust is catback it won't need any custom tuning. Active autowerk is the cheapest but I don't know anyone here who has tried it. Gintani is running just shy of $1000. Turner is also about $1000 and they actually did a 330i conversion but it's not on their site anymore. I'm pretty happy with Gintani's tune. There's still a little work to be done on my car but it's pretty minor.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #172
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I actually live fairly close to Active Autowerke's, they have a tune for 325i's?
      06-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #173
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well... It seems I have stepped into the middle of a war. There's a little bit of antagonism between Powerchip and Gintani to say the least. Powerchip believes I have taken sides in the matter. I want to make it clear to everyone here that this is NOT the case. I am an honest person, I do honest work, and I’m not out to destroy anyone’s reputation. I took me a while to save $1500+ to get this done. I wanted to do this conversion not just for me but for everyone here. My car was originally tuned by Powerchip in October of 2009 and in April of 2010 I decided to go with another tuner. I was completely hung out to dry and when I contacted powerchip, I was responded to with contempt. I was willing to spend more money with Powerchip to have the problem that they caused in the first place fixed.

I called Active Autowerk and a GIAC vendor to see my options. I finally found a tuner who was willing to help me. I got the tune done and it yielded more power as well as fixed my throttle response problem. The day before I went, I found out the Jeremy, the new tuner, was the one who originally tuned my car at Powerchip. I will not go into the details of Jeremy's reasons for leaving Powerchip because I don't know the details and I don't care to know. It's neither my problem nor my business.

Because Powerchip has not helped me solve my issues, I requested a refund. In my past dealings, I had been very respectful and cooperative in my emails, but this time I let my emotions get the best of me and was rather aggresive in my message to Powerchip. I was asked to reveal very specific details about my new tune, such as the location, the first and last name of the person who hooked up equipment to my car, weather I paid cash or credit, and my address. After I refused to give out the information, I was threatened (albeit subtly), with legal action. I’m not sure why as I have done nothing illegal. The person I was talking to (who will remain anonymous) has a personal problem with Jeremy and was trying to drag me into it. I really don’t want to get involved in any personal desputes. I would never have gone with another tune if I hadn't been ignored and treated with contempt.

While I will probably never do business again with Powerchip, the person I was talking to in not representative of the rest of the company. Matt, who runs Powerchip USA in socal, stepped in and offered to help. He's a customer oriented employee and want to see a good outcome of all this, but he has his hands tied because the person with which I had been dealing in my emails is involved. I'm not posting this message to be inflammatory or vindictive. I believe my experience with Powerchip is unique and is not fully representative of their reputation. I want to share my experience because this is what happens when you tune your car. I'm not the first person to experience these types of problems and I will certainly not be the last. There's not really much you can do about it other than be persistent and hold back your emotions.

This conversion project, however, is far from dead. I will be working with Jeremy to finalize the tune. Thank you all for your continuing support and knowledge. I could not have accomplished what I have so far without this community.
Damn, sounds like you've gone thru a lot of trouble with those guys to try to work it out. I dont know if a lot of us has that sort of patience with a vendor that doesnt want to hold up their end....fwiw, great work, and thx for showing us this could be done!

COOOOOLD BLOODED!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #174
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

eh, powerchips can pound sand. e90pilot doesn't owe them anything. If he paid money for a service, he has no obligation to them. If the service didn't work, he has the right to voice his opinion. Their relationship with Gintani has nothing to do with e90pilot.

Now, I can see powerchips having problem with giving a refund, since they can claim that they did perform a service for him, and there is some value attached to that, but that's a different matter all together.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #175
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
I actually live fairly close to Active Autowerke's, they have a tune for 325i's?
Yeah, they have a tune for N52s. Last time I talked to Sherwin and Viral they said they had one. I'm waiting to see dyno's vs the BMS powerbox. If its similar, im heading to PSI in orlando or down south
      06-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #176
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
Yeah, they have a tune for N52s. Last time I talked to Sherwin and Viral they said they had one. I'm waiting to see dyno's vs the BMS powerbox. If its similar, im heading to PSI in orlando or down south
Haven't seen anything posted on AA's website.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0