E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > T-Mobile Wing: Voice Command notifications

08-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

T-Mobile Wing: Voice Command notifications

I have a T-Mobile Wing which has a nifty voice command capability to read out incoming email messages.

It can be set to play this readout only over Bluetooth. I've noticed when I'm driving in my 330i with iDrive, that the "connecting" display appears with four asterisks ("***") when an email message arrives.

I think the Wing is trying to read this out over the Bluetooth connection.

Has anyone gotten this to work? It'd be pretty cool...driving along and hearing the subject line of incoming email without having to take your eyes off the road.

BTW, the Wing pairs perfectly with my E90, including contact download and E90 voice controlled-dialing.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
The Motorola linux phones have a similar feature but I don't think there's a way to get it to work without hacking on one side or the other.

The trick is that the BMW bluetooth kit only routes audio when it has an in-call indication from the phone. This is basically so you don't hear all your key feedback from the car speakers. The only way you can get something like talking SMS to work properly is if the phone sends the carkit a ring indication, waits for you to "answer", then sends an "in-call" command to the carkit, reads the message, and "hangs up". This is technically feasible, but it's kind of playing fast and loose with the HFP spec so I'm not sure if any phones would actually implement it.
Appreciate 0