E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Yet another BMW supercar rumor: mid-engine supercar project with Toyota?

09-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #23
M3JHWK
Nutter
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Doubt it will happen, the beancounters rule BMW these days. On top of that, they are so shit scared to be last to the supercar party that they probably won't green light anything at this point. They have the tech but are lacking the will it seems. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong however...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #24
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

BMW and Toyota in joint venture to build new half-series active tourer with hybrid drive-train giving 100 mpg
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:21 AM   #25
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ove
If Bmw where to make a supercar i'd much rather see them do it themselves, then with the help of Toyota/Lexus.
My thought exactly! Not to be ignorant or anything, but after showing they can make incredible stuff like the i8 (I know it's a completely different thing) what would they need McLaren or Toyota for? I know it's better to share and stakeholders to spend money on Eco projects than racing projects but still?

Why not make an incredible car and take all the shine themselves?
      09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I also agree, there is very little if any financial gain for a major manufacturer to build a Supercar (I can't imagine the new Ford will help the bottom line) so much of it is a Marketing function and showcasing what they can do.

I see far less of a benefit of the above with a joint project with Toyota or some other manufacturer. Even with McLaren many would think it was only possible to accomplish with help.
      09-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Ha! I give it 2, maybe 3 months before this also results in being vehemently denied by a BMW spokesperson.

I honestly think that BMW will never release a mid-engined performance car ever again. If they ever venture into the sportscar market again, it will probably be front-engined and RWD. Nothing wrong with that, it's what they've been doing and doing well for how long now.

The ONLY way the world would see a mid-engined performance car with a BMW powerplant in it is if it's another Ascari, or McLaren, or whatever other supercar used BMW oily bits. BMW themselves making a mid-engined performance car? Reckon it will carry an i badge, or it just won't happen.

Besides, how does BMW's plan to phase out internal combustion engines factor into all of these rumors? It's in the next 10 years supposedly? Would BMW really go for this type of car if that plan is strictly being adhered to? Kind of doubt it.
Hybrid? Perhaps. 488 or R8 or Huracan type of 'traditional' supercar? Don't think so.

EDIT: Just to add, if BMW was going to be doing something like this, then it should've been done more than a decade ago. With the strict emissions of today and it just getting stricter, they'd be better off concentrating on that ICE phasing-out plan of theirs. It's a pity, but let's be realistic.
Appreciate 0