E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

04-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #309
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I hope for you brother! Fingers crossed.

The PC will probably get priority. You'll have yours before I have mine.. how's that for fair?

Did I mention that BMWNA sucks very large donkey balls?
I sure hope you get yours before I get mine. It occurred to me that the problem may be that they haven't yet got out the bulletin that has the part no. to the dealers and by some convoluted logic they don't want to send out parts before they do. If so, that's even worse that everything depends on some person getting out a piece of paper.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #310
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I sure hope you get yours before I get mine. It occurred to me that the problem may be that they haven't yet got out the bulletin that has the part no. to the dealers and by some convoluted logic they don't want to send out parts before they do. If so, that's even worse that everything depends on some person getting out a piece of paper.
My dealer had the bulletin regarding 6FL, but I don't think it had the part number for the iPod cable. You could be right.

Ineptitude.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #311
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My dealer had the bulletin regarding 6FL, but I don't think it had the part number for the iPod cable. You could be right.

Ineptitude.
Yes. I have a copy of that original bulletin and it doesn't have the part no.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #312
I-Won-Today
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I'm just curious if you have any more info on this. It's been posted elsewhere that there's a freeze on the parts right now.

I'm especially concerned because after my PCD May 2nd I'm going straight to a 4-6 week trip through the east before driving back to LA. That means that if I don't get it that day, I won't have it for the entire trip.

Just confirmed with our parts department that the part # is on a national freeze.

As others have already stated, it probably is due to no bulletin being distributed yet to the dealers with the part # and ordering instructions. However, the parts department here said that the cables they ordered show an ETA of 4/6. I guess we will find out in a couple of days.

I'll try to keep you posted...

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #313
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Won-Today View Post
Just confirmed with our parts department that the part # is on a national freeze.

As others have already stated, it probably is due to no bulletin being distributed yet to the dealers with the part # and ordering instructions. However, the parts department here said that the cables they ordered show an ETA of 4/6. I guess we will find out in a couple of days.

I'll try to keep you posted...
Thanks Jonathan... please do if you can. I gave my dealer the part number and they still couldn't order it.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #314
jmonier
Captain
Rep

Thanks Jonathan. I really appreciate that you go the extra mile to keep us PCD folks informed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #315
wdogan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sedan (as of 4/18)

Was told a cable will be set aside for me

I sent my CA an email asking whether the adapter cable would be available when I pick up the car, sometime next week. CA had the day off, but wrote back and suggested I check directly with the parts department.

I called the parts department, they knew immediately which part I was asking about. They took my name and assured me that there would be a cable "set aside and waiting for" me when I pick up the car next week. Assuming they actually live up to this commitment, this feels like a good experience -- thanks to everyone here for letting me know I needed to make this phone call.

Now I just have to wait another 10 days or so for the **** car to arrive!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #316
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdogan View Post
I sent my CA an email asking whether the adapter cable would be available when I pick up the car, sometime next week. CA had the day off, but wrote back and suggested I check directly with the parts department.

I called the parts department, they knew immediately which part I was asking about. They took my name and assured me that there would be a cable "set aside and waiting for" me when I pick up the car next week. Assuming they actually live up to this commitment, this feels like a good experience -- thanks to everyone here for letting me know I needed to make this phone call.

Now I just have to wait another 10 days or so for the **** car to arrive!

Hopefully that will be the case for you! Wishing you luck and congrats!

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #317
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

for some reason the date april 6 sticks in my head... I know I read it somewhere. I think they are going to release the 08 5's on that day and hopefully they open the freeze the same time. I'll have my first cables by the next day then so I'll let you know.
      04-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #318
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
It was Jonathan from the Performance Center I think who said April 6. Let's all hope he's right.

Figures they take care of the 5 people.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #319
wdogan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sedan (as of 4/18)

Quote:
Hopefully that will be the case for you! Wishing you luck and congrats!
Thanks LedZep -- this wait has been killing me! But your posts, and especially your "first impressions" after picking up your car, have helped a lot. Nice to hear so much detailed and positive feedback from a fellow 328xi owner.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #320
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

Quote:
It was Jonathan from the Performance Center I think who said April 6. Let's all hope he's right.

Figures they take care of the 5 people.
lol... they more than DON"T take care of the 5 people... their CARS are on hold until the 6th. at least you've got your car :P
      04-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #321
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdogan View Post
Thanks LedZep -- this wait has been killing me! But your posts, and especially your "first impressions" after picking up your car, have helped a lot. Nice to hear so much detailed and positive feedback from a fellow 328xi owner.

Then my work here is done. I can now return to my home world, knowing that I have made a difference... that somehow things are just a little bit better... colors are just a little bit brighter... smiles last just a little bit longer...

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #322
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
lol... they more than DON"T take care of the 5 people... their CARS are on hold until the 6th. at least you've got your car :P
Yes, but they are all old and don't even know what week this is.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #323
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

Got a call from my dealership and my cable has arrived! I picked it up yesterday and used it for about 10 minutes on the drive home last night! Granted it was 1 am and I was tired...but I was pleased with the functionality. The only feature I used was to scroll through and use my playlists...but it was smooth, quick, and intuitive (Since there appears to be no "owners manual" for 6FL). Today on the way to work I'll try out artists, genre, things like that to see how they work. I was expecting some "letdown" since we have hyped the 6FL up so much...but I have not been disappointed so far.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #324
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Eric - that is great news! Glad you got the cable, and look forward to your thoughts on the functions.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #325
bmwvirgin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFother View Post
Got a call from my dealership and my cable has arrived! I picked it up yesterday and used it for about 10 minutes on the drive home last night! Granted it was 1 am and I was tired...but I was pleased with the functionality. The only feature I used was to scroll through and use my playlists...but it was smooth, quick, and intuitive (Since there appears to be no "owners manual" for 6FL). Today on the way to work I'll try out artists, genre, things like that to see how they work. I was expecting some "letdown" since we have hyped the 6FL up so much...but I have not been disappointed so far.
Eric...how is the cable different from the USB cable I got with my iPod? (My iPod is about 2 yrs, old....was the last generation before they came out w/ color). The cable I have is USB on one end and connects to the bottom of my iPod from the other end.

I ask b/c I used this cable and had what seemed like the 80% functionality. Everything worked (Artists, Genre, etc) EXCEPT my playlists, which wouldn't come up. Perhaps there's something different about this cable to get my playlists to work?

Thanks.
      04-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #326
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvirgin View Post
Eric...how is the cable different from the USB cable I got with my iPod? (My iPod is about 2 yrs, old....was the last generation before they came out w/ color). The cable I have is USB on one end and connects to the bottom of my iPod from the other end.

I ask b/c I used this cable and had what seemed like the 80% functionality. Everything worked (Artists, Genre, etc) EXCEPT my playlists, which wouldn't come up. Perhaps there's something different about this cable to get my playlists to work?

Thanks.
I'm not 100% sure...but I think the reason your music works is because you imported it into ITunes as MP3. The 6FL in the car sees your IPod as one big hard drive...and you can view your music. Once again. I'm not 100% sure. I noticed that when I did the same thing you did (hooked up my IPod with the USB-IPod cable that came with my IPod) that my music was all in 4 character titles that made no sense...like GJKT and GJKU...which might sound like 2 songs in a row...but were totally random music! I had imported all my music into ITunes via the Apple Lossless...or something like that.

I imagine someone else with more knowledge on the subject will weigh in shortly.

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #327
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFother View Post
I'm not 100% sure...but I think the reason your music works is because you imported it into ITunes as MP3. The 6FL in the car sees your IPod as one big hard drive...and you can view your music. Once again. I'm not 100% sure. I noticed that when I did the same thing you did (hooked up my IPod with the USB-IPod cable that came with my IPod) that my music was all in 4 character titles that made no sense...like GJKT and GJKU...which might sound like 2 songs in a row...but were totally random music! I had imported all my music into ITunes via the Apple Lossless...or something like that.

I imagine someone else with more knowledge on the subject will weigh in shortly.
That's how the Ipod stores the physical mp3 files with those unique codes. Then there are other files that keep the metadata separately. I think you would need to use the special cable to access the Ipod as a device and not strickly as a mass storage device (hdd).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #328
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Impressions after 24 Hours for a NON I-Drive 6FL:

Today was my first day with the appropriate cable. I noticed that (As MajorHusker pointed out) the IPod displays "OK to disconnect". Now here is my big problem...I don't think the Ipod shuts off when you turn off the car and walk away! This morning...I got in my car...opened the glove box...and the IPod display lit up! I HAD NOT put the key in the "ignition" and I do not have Comfort Access. Sounds like we are back to the age old question:

Does the light in the refrigerator go out when you close the door?

So...I drove to work, left the IPod in my car, and when I got into the car this evening...IPod was lit up! Drove home...decided to take the IPod out and noticed it was warm to the touch on the bottom. I can only assume that it is this way since it was "running" for the last 18 hours straight. Now...it was about 60 degrees in the area today. Some may argue that the car was hot but it was the bottom of the Ipod that was hot. Not the top with the screen.

Tomorrows test will be: Can I shut the IPod off while it's connected by pressing the play button as usual? I may just sit in the car with the ignition off and see if it shuts down eventually.

Anyway...I'm sure there is more to this then I know. An owners manual that explains all this would have been a big help. Perhaps I'm just a moron...and I need to disconnect the IPod every night and haul it inside. To me...I only intend to take it out of the car on hot days, and when I need to update it. I would also prefer if I didn't have to open the glove box and shut the thing off, or worse yet...disconnect it and then shut it off, every time I get out of my vehicle. Maybe I'm just asking for the moon...

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #329
SoonToBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi coup march build

IF the cable long enough can you have the Ipod hang out of the arm rest? Then look through the window do see if it ever shuts off?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #330
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvirgin View Post

Thanks.
I tried again to just use the iPod cable and nothing happens. The iPod just shows me the "don't disconnect" message and if I select AUX there is nothing there. Could be because I have a lot of music in it, but I gave it quite a bit of time.

Appreciate 0