E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > i really hate 17 year old drivers that suck at driving

12-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #67
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
I still disagree. You see, my point of view is based on experience. I was a rich kid who's daddy bought him a nice car (not a BMW, but a new Jeep.) And I thought it had great value to me. I thought I was grateful. After I smacked it up a few times, and daddy paid of course, I moved on to sneaking out in his Porsches, despite his forbidding me to do so.
The thing you need to realize though, is the fact that your view is based on your experience. You can't think that you're grateful; you just are. After reading this post, I realize that you've been through the same environment that I'm in now: you had a new car and your dad had a nicer car (both Porsches in our cases).

However, that's where the similarities end. Sure, it'd be fun driving the Porsche, but I would never break the trust of my dad, and take it out for a spin without his consent. In fact, even when I got my license, and my dad insisted that he tag along a little longer to see if I was "capable" of driving by myself, I complied.

There are definite differences between even people in similar situations, and each individual approaches each situation in a different manner. It would be unfair to generalize simply because you took a certain course of action.

Quote:
Since college, I have not received a dime from my family, and everything I own I have earned myself. I had no idea! There is a HUGE difference in how I value my possessions now.

You must try it some time!
This is something I would like to experience in the near future, but getting a job right now to pay for tuition, while completely focusing on studying would go against my parents' wishes. They want me to not worry about working, and all they expect is very high marks. Of course, I haven't bought anything for personal use since I've began college. So, I guess I don't need any extra cash right now.

Quote:
This statement is obviously based on conjecture, and is largely false. I grew up in a very wealthy town and know that rich kids have very little respect for material value and generally view themselves as 'Better Than" poor people.

Poor people may not be well educated or even very bright, but they generally know the value of money. They know that the heap they bought to get them from A to B is a BIG DEAL, and that they feel fortunate to even have any car at all. Of couse, there are exceptions, but I believe these points to be generally true.
I completely agree with you on this matter.

Quote:
I know this forum is largely populated by spoiled little rich kids, and they feel the need to justify their bourgeois guilt- I understand. They certainly do not want to hear about how their brains aren't even fully developed enough to be good drivers. When I was a teen, I thought that I was the greatest driver this side of Juan Fangio. I thought I knew everything, and my point of view was the only possible correct view- what more could adults know? Since then, I have learned with time comes experience, that life is precious, and everyone experiences life differently.
I realized what you know now over the two years that I have had my driver's license. I've expressed the same viewpoint in my previous posts.

Bingo on the last part btw.

I wonder what Ayrton Senna and Juan Manuel Fangio thought when they were seventeen?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #68
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

There's a lot of blending of topics here.
All things being equal:
  • As a group, 17 year olds have little experience driving.
  • As a group, 17 year olds statistically are poor drivers.
  • As a group, 17 year olds think they are good drivers.
  • Generally, people take care of things better when they earn the things, whether through work or grades.
  • Many bad parents compensate by lavishing gifts on their kids.
It's hard to admit you're part of one of the above groups, but that doesn't mean
you are the problem, unless you prove it by what you tell us.

Peace!
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #69
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compos Mentis
All things being equal:
  • Generally, people take care of things better when they earn the things, whether through work or grades.
It's hard to admit you're part of one of the above groups, but that doesn't mean
Agreed... Lets look at this another way:
  • As a group , BMW drivers are a**holes
  • As a group , Guys who drive fast cars are trying to compensate for some other "short" coming.
  • As a group , Highschool kids that drive expense cars are spoiled brats

That doesn't mean it applies to anyone here....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #70
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

Exclamation

ok to all of you that talk about about im 15 and i got an E90 my parents got it for mr not like i can drive yet but its my car and u guys cant say there momey and daddy got it for them and say it as a bad way my parents got this stuff for me becuse there parents could never do somthing like that or give somthing of that sort my parents knew i loved bmw's they wonted to get somthing that i liked the only reason they got it was grades my older bro is 20 theyy got him an eclips bad grades so fu all that talk bad about parents and how they get there kids stuff just cuz your panents did not does not make my parents bad :mad: :mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #71
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoda355
ok to all of you that talk about about im 15 and i got an E90 my parents got it for mr not like i can drive yet but its my car and u guys cant say there momey and daddy got it for them and say it as a bad way my parents got this stuff for me becuse there parents could never do somthing like that or give somthing of that sort my parents knew i loved bmw's they wonted to get somthing that i liked the only reason they got it was grades my older bro is 20 theyy got him an eclips bad grades so fu all that talk bad about parents and how they get there kids stuff just cuz your panents did not does not make my parents bad :mad: :mad: :mad:
You are an absolute moron.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #72
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
All things being equal:

Peace!
your parents did not get u shit just cuz u got bad grades dont be hatting on us
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #73
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2005, 01:53 AM   #74
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

This is exactly what I've been trying to say!
      12-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #75
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
You prove my last point perfectly. Thank you.

"It's hard to admit you're part of one of the above groups, but that doesn't mean
you are the problem, unless you prove it by what you tell us."
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #76
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
What? Can you make complete sentences?

Your parents got you a E90 and you don't even have your license yet. Can't your parents get you something else because of your good grades? Wow, I really did not think high school was THAT difficult.
      12-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #77
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

At 17, I had about 4 years of experience "driving" (tractors and motorcycles on grandpa's farm). But I was ALWAYS two or three steps ahead of the drivers around me. I have never (knock on wood) been in an accident while driving. I was once rear-ended because I took my eyes off the guy AFTER he had stopped behind me.
Now, since I have so much experience driving, I'm getting worse. I feel I am such a good, attentative driver that I don't need to pay attention. And I'm getting scared back into paying attention. I sometimes wonder just how I can drive down the road, and delicately adjust the radio balance, then look up a realize I did not "see" the last 1/2 mile of road.
So now I bought an E90 to be one of those white, middle-aged men who think they can drive, but maybe really can't. I still KNOW when that fool ahead is going to turn into my lane, far enough in advance I can even verbalize it to passengers.
Someone else said it too. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD and have at least two escape routes planned, and keep looking for that third one.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #78
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You prove my last point perfectly. Thank you.

"It's hard to admit you're part of one of the above groups, but that doesn't mean
you are the problem, unless you prove it by what you tell us."
true that i was looking at the m3 but i couuld not get a stick and this car was half payed by parents and half by family but w.e if u guys think im a ratty spoild kid then ok im not going to try to fight it off
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #79
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
true that i was looking at the m3 but i couuld not get a stick and this car was half payed by parents and half by family but w.e if u guys think im a ratty spoild kid then ok im not going to try to fight it off
Holy crap, please kill yourself for INTELLIGENCE'S sake!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #80
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
ur rents shouda gottan u english lessonz instead of tha bimma cuz u cant even type shiznit.
<translation: your parents should've taken the money they spent on the E90 and spend it on some English lessons>
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #81
lxapilot118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i + SC Mustang

Quote:
And just think...he's the one with the GOOD grades in the family.
      12-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #82
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxapilot118
And just think...he's the one with the GOOD grades in the family.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #83
NaTuReB0Y