E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Some E90 comparisons - drove a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a Panamera V6

09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I really wouldn't put the boxster way above the 335 in terms of performance. They've made ground over the past few years with the boxster but it's still not a legit porsche.
Not a legit Porsche? Really. Explain. Its made in Zuffenhauzen along side the 911. Can't wait for your response.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Not a legit Porsche? Really. Explain. Its made in Zuffenhauzen along side the 911. Can't wait for your response.
Performance wise, it has always been way below Porsche standards, in the past few years it's gotten better.

There are statements that are to be taken in a literal sense and some are figurative.

Can't wait for your response in regard to which one you think my original comment was.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
^ thread fail.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Performance wise, it has always been way below Porsche standards, in the past few years it's gotten better.

There are statements that are to be taken in a literal sense and some are figurative.

Can't wait for your response in regard to which one you think my original comment was.
Its been below standard performance wise like the 323 is below the M3. Boxster has always been a true Porsche, even when it was built in Finland. the Boxster is a better handleing car than the 911...just lacks the horsepower. Literally/figuratively.....all I heard is the Boxster isnt a true Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

What is Porsche's "performance standard"?

If the Boxster is a better handling car than a 911, is the 911's performance then below Porsche's standards?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The boxster was an embarrassment to porsche when it came out and had been for many years. They wanted to hit a different demographic with a "cheaper" entry level porsche in the hopes that people would eventually move up to their big boy models.

Porsche standards are blister fast 0-60 and amazing handling. No sacrifice which is what they did with the boxster, made a lightweight low hp car which handled nicely but lacked any punch which is 1/2 the equation.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The boxster was an embarrassment to porsche when it came out and had been for many years. They wanted to hit a different demographic with a "cheaper" entry level porsche in the hopes that people would eventually move up to their big boy models.

Porsche standards are blister fast 0-60 and amazing handling. No sacrifice which is what they did with the boxster, made a lightweight low hp car which handled nicely but lacked any punch which is 1/2 the equation.
Maybe you thought it was an embarassment but I'd rather have a Boxster than a 3 ANY day.They couldnt survive on 911 sales alone and they arent going to build a car to compete with 911. How do you explain the Cayenne and the Panny?
BMW can't survive on M3&M5 sales alone so they built the 323, 328 and 335. Same thing really.

Last edited by 335BBS; 09-19-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: addition.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you thought it was an embarassment but I'd rather have a Boxster than a 3 ANY day.They couldnt survive on 911 sales alone and they arent going to build a car to compete with 911. How do you explain the Cayenne and the Panny?
BMW can't survive on M3&M5 sales alone so they built the 323, 328 and 335. Same thing really.
Not really a fair comparison since bmw isn't synonymous with performance like Porsche has always been when comparing to the market standard. BMW is opposite of porsche actually, the majority of their sales are of lower performance vehicles (323, 325, etc..) with a small portion being M sales.

Also, a Boxster is pretty comparable in price to a fully loaded 335 so to each their own and their wants.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not really a fair comparison since bmw isn't synonymous with performance like Porsche has always been when comparing to the market standard. BMW is opposite of porsche actually, the majority of their sales are of lower performance vehicles (323, 325, etc..) with a small portion being M sales.

Also, a Boxster is pretty comparable in price to a fully loaded 335 so to each their own and their wants.
True, there are starting from opposite ends of the spectrum...just dont get the "embarassment " thing. It was sold as a slower, less expensive entry level car. I'd say mission accomplished. The latest version is amazing. Wait until you see the new Cayman...amazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Hey, OP is comparing two cars he tested to his own. To me, that's a natural thing to do. I've read posts of guys comparing their rental hyundai on that business trip to their BMW at home. That's what's on my mind every time I drive a car, to compare it to my own. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks, OP, for your contribution.
+1
      09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #33
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Lol @ the boxster not being a real porsche. Drive one before you make ridiculous comments about it. I have a '99 boxster manual and it will out handle my 335i any day of the week.

And as far as acceleration? My boxster will walk my bro's e90 328xi.
      09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, there are starting from opposite ends of the spectrum...just dont get the "embarassment " thing. It was sold as a slower, less expensive entry level car. I'd say mission accomplished. The latest version is amazing. Wait until you see the new Cayman...amazing.
I even acknowledged in recent years the Boxster has made progress to becoming more "Porsche-like" in it's performance.

Now when I say "embarrassment" let me use an analogy. It's like when you see a super model on tv and someone says, "She's not that good looking". Now the girl is probably drop dead gorgeous if you saw her walking down the street but in respect to the other supermodels on tv she is just, "Ehh".

So I mean the original Boxster was an embarrassment to Porsche but not an embarrassment of a car in general.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
Lol @ the boxster not being a real porsche. Drive one before you make ridiculous comments about it. I have a '99 boxster manual and it will out handle my 335i any day of the week.

And as far as acceleration? My boxster will walk my bro's e90 328xi.
So will an s2000...

Point being is a porsche isn't suppose to just be on par with a lot of competitors in terms of its overall performance, it's suppose to be above and beyond even for an entry level Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #36
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin328i View Post
These pretzels are making me thirsty

I lol'ed very loudly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
there is always that holy grail of performance brand that you look up to across the grass. For example, for the VW GTI crowd - it's the BMW and especially 335i. For the BMW crowd, it seems to be Porsche.
E90post needs to stop letting people create threads...

The holy grail for any crowd in terms of BMW is NOT the 335i. It's the M's buddy.

Every week it's a different thread about people hyping up the 335i. It's sad. No kid has a poster of a 335xi hanging in his/her room. They have posters of M3's hanging buddy...

Stop putting the pussy on a pedestal!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes123 View Post
What an excellent comparison review. Could you please do a review of the '13 Toyota Sienna vs the '13 m6. I am having trouble deciding between the two.

Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I even acknowledged in recent years the Boxster has made progress to becoming more "Porsche-like" in it's performance.

Now when I say "embarrassment" let me use an analogy. It's like when you see a super model on tv and someone says, "She's not that good looking". Now the girl is probably drop dead gorgeous if you saw her walking down the street but in respect to the other supermodels on tv she is just, "Ehh".

So I mean the original Boxster was an embarrassment to Porsche but not an embarrassment of a car in general.
No they are just meant to serve a different purpose then the 911 + others. That purpose is handling. And they serve that purpose well. It's a mid engine car and I've taken mine up to tahoe and the twisties... It's ridiculously fun to drive with the top down and hammer down.

Yes, it is cheaper then the other porsches, but an embarrassment? I doubt it.
      09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
No they are just meant to serve a different purpose then the 911 + others. That purpose is handling. And they serve that purpose well. It's a mid engine car and I've taken mine up to tahoe and the twisties... It's ridiculously fun to drive with the top down and hammer down.

Let him argue...he has no idea what he's talking about. He's read a quick report in car and driver and he's the Porsche expert on the forum....

Quote:

You should stop arguing and go sit down for a minute...

I'd rather drive a Cayman S any day of the week than my 335i. It's a wayyyyy better car hands down. If you haven't seen the new Boxsters...I suggest you go to your local dealership and test drive one out. The cars are legit...but fanboys typically don't like anything besides 335i's and Bieber posters.

When the new Cayman's are released...you'll feel like shit pulling up next to one at a redlight...kinda like how you feel now pulling up next to an M3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #39
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Exclusivity is a very big aspects to many brands. There is a reason apple doesn't drop their prices too much or that some mercedes/bmws are overpriced for what you get most of the time.

You don't want to compromise your brand identity just to expand your market reach. Yes you will probably get more customers but if you miss the mark on the "cheaper" designed model that will definitely be a hit to your brand reputation.

For anyone who thinks the original version of the Boxster had the true feel of porsche design is mistaken. It is closer to a miata or toyota spyder in terms of overall performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exclusivity is a very big aspects to many brands. There is a reason apple doesn't drop their prices too much or that some mercedes/bmws are overpriced for what you get most of the time.

You don't want to compromise your brand identity just to expand your market reach. Yes you will probably get more customers but if you miss the mark on the "cheaper" designed model that will definitely be a hit to your brand reputation.

For anyone who thinks the original version of the Boxster had the true feel of porsche design is mistaken. It is closer to a miata or toyota spyder in terms of overall performance.

Dude. you obviously haven't driven one. I have driven ALL 3 of those cars and neither of the latter compare to the boxster.
      09-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Let him argue...he has no idea what he's talking about. He's read a quick report in car and driver and he's the Porsche expert on the forum....

You should stop arguing and go sit down for a minute...

I'd rather drive a Cayman S any day of the week than my 335i. It's a wayyyyy better car hands down. If you haven't seen the new Boxsters...I suggest you go to your local dealership and test drive one out. The cars are legit...but fanboys typically don't like anything besides 335i's and Bieber posters.

When the new Cayman's are released...you'll feel like shit pulling up next to one at a redlight...kinda like how you feel now pulling up next to an M3
Reading comprehension is key, obviously you are young and don't read the entire post before responding.

1.) When did I bring up the 335 in terms of comparison to the Cayman S? I never did. (Mistake 1 for you)

2.) Am I arguing about the current version of the Boxster on here? No, I said the first few model designs, I have said the new Boxster is much much nicer and performance oriented. (Mistake 2 for you)

I am not sure why you are so hostile, it shows a lack of intelligence and that you don't obviously make a large contribution to society with a mentality such as yours.

I don't let someone driving a nicer car than me make me feel like shit, I appreciate the beauty and try to better my life to be able to afford those things one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #42
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude. you obviously haven't driven one. I have driven ALL 3 of those cars and neither of the latter compare to the boxster.
Yup driven all, not a 99 boxster but a 2001 boxster s.

Ok, maybe it is closer to a z3.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup driven all, not a 99 boxster but a 2001 boxster s.

Ok, maybe it is closer to a z3.
Haven't driven a z3 so...
      09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #44
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
there is no Porsche that compares to a 335i

seriously, there is no small sport sedan segment in the P car book