E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS DCI install question

06-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

BMS DCI install question

i finished the install, but the cones are touching to the point where they are pushing against each other. i only put in the couplers half an inch like the guide said: "Insert the provided couplers in to each side of the filter approx 1/2 inch, and install a clamp on either end securing the couplers to the filter. The filters feature a velocity stack at their base so to ensure maximum performance verify the couplers are not inserted too far."

see how far the coupler is sticking out from the cone:

and i feel like they are touching too much:

should i take them out and push the couplers into the cones more so that the cones do not touch as much? i put the intake in as far as i could into the factory accordion tube (about 1 inch). any suggestions or should i put everything back and start it? thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

push couplers in a tad more. when you push the coupler into the factory hose hold the hose and pull it foward and up to get that coupler in further. it can def go in further lol. mine is in way further. either way the cones will touch and overlay a little bit but ya yours are pretty crammed.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

push couplers in to the cones or the OEM tubes or both?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Push the black pipe into the stock pipe more. Only push the black pipe an inch or so into the filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
push couplers in to the cones or the OEM tubes or both?
not the couplers christ im sorry. the black 3-4" long piping. the ones that came with my vishnu dci are almost identical and u wanna grab that factory hose and pull it up as much as u can and twist that black pipe into it(with the cone already on the other end, but dont matter). twist, push, and wiggle it in.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
cskelly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

As others are saying:

Push the aftermarket assembly into the oem/stock tubes further.

The only reason you don't want to push the filter on more is it interferes with air flow because there is an inward facing cone inside the filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

i ended up pushing the black pipes into the intake about one inch then wiggled the other end into the factory end until they fit comfortably. started it and everything's fine. out of curiosity, am i supposed to hear the whoosh sound if i just rev it in place or do i have to drive it and let it adapt? thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
i ended up pushing the black pipes into the intake about one inch then wiggled the other end into the factory end until they fit comfortably. started it and everything's fine. out of curiosity, am i supposed to hear the whoosh sound if i just rev it in place or do i have to drive it and let it adapt? thanks
Hey dude, IMO, i feel like you should try to push the coupler into the intake hose. it should be able to go in further. You do not want to push the coupler into the filter any more. Make sure you do not push the coupler far into the filter, but have it rather tighten to the edges of the metal coupler/pipe.

and the cones should be very close together.

your car wont really adapt to the DCI, and it should be a littttle bit more audible. i usually take may engine cowl/microfilter out to really get some serious sound out of the dci. with the engine cowl and micro filter(keep on for rainy days) on its almost non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Hey dude, IMO, i feel like you should try to push the coupler into the intake hose. it should be able to go in further. You do not want to push the coupler into the filter any more. Make sure you do not push the coupler far into the filter, but have it rather tighten to the edges of the metal coupler/pipe.

and the cones should be very close together.

your car wont really adapt to the DCI, and it should be a littttle bit more audible. i usually take may engine cowl/microfilter out to really get some serious sound out of the dci. with the engine cowl and micro filter(keep on for rainy days) on its almost non-existent.
yeah i got it into the accordion hose more and now it looks like it should look. they are touching but very slightly. and that's weird cuz the youtube videos of the dci makes it veryyy audible, such as...

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
yeah i got it into the accordion hose more and now it looks like it should look. they are touching but very slightly. and that's weird cuz the youtube videos of the dci makes it veryyy audible, such as...

i dont think you hear the intake as much. you hear his blow off valve a little more.

here is my car with DCI and cowl removed. id go to :25, and turn up sound lol. its alot more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
i dont think you hear the intake as much. you hear his blow off valve a little more.

here is my car with DCI and cowl removed. id go to :25, and turn up sound lol. its alot more noticeable.
alright thanks for the quick help
Appreciate 0