E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Paypal and ebay fees ?

11-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Paypal and ebay fees ?

Sorry to be a twat,

I watched a item sell on Sunday for £14,700 now the buyer said he would only accept paypal how much has it cost him in fees ? auction and paypal

I have a reason for asking as I said I can't do that much by paypal my credit card limit is 12500 but was happy to meet him at my bank and BT the funds in his presence.

The buyer has flaked on him and he has come back and asked exactly what I would pay I'm thinking the fees would have been 4 % paypal so £588 maybe £100 ebay fees ?. so if I paid 14k he would be still getting what the other guys final bid was because there is no fees as the buyer hasn't purchased it .

Thanks for any advice
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

ebay fees depend on the item for sale. most things are a flat 10% of the sale price for private sellers. some big items such as houses, cars, watches etc do get a concession, and high volume sellers also pay less fee's.

bear in mind that credit card/paypal bring an inherent protection, where as a bank transfer you have no come back if something is amiss with the item.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

PayPal Fees https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

and here https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...g-fees-outside

and ebay fees http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/fees.html#fvf

you will have to do some maths but it will give you a guide.

I say make him an offer see where it goes, low offer, then work up, also if its a 2nd chance offer, what was your last bid, if that was lower than the above maths, say that was your limit. Start low as you can increase what you offer, but you cant decrease
      11-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
What is the item? Be very careful with this one. Were you the second highest bidder then?

If it's a private individual don't do a BT unless you have seen the goods and have them in your possession. Otherwise you have no protection. You cannot reverse a BT once it's done.

If it's a business then you may have more confidence, but it all seems a bit fishy to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
What is the item? Be very careful with this one. Were you the second highest bidder then?

If it's a private individual don't do a BT unless you have seen the goods and have them in your possession. Otherwise you have no protection. You cannot reverse a BT once it's done.

If it's a business then you may have more confidence, but it all seems a bit fishy to me.
+ 1, if it was a private individual perhaps the winner bidder was a friend bidding to increase the price etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post

+1 It could be all cosha but if it is anything out of the ordinary (which a runner up bid winning is imho) then I would want some sort of protection and certainly an accepted second chance offer via ebay would be a must for me. Plus test drive to make sure that the description is accurate before handing any £££ over.

What is the feedback like for the seller? individual or business?
Appreciate 0