E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission fluid fill help needed E92

06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
MA2-335
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Transmission fluid fill help needed E92

I changed my transmission fluid the other day following a DIY posted in the DIY section. I changed the fluid using Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Unfortunately my car no longer up-shifts very well from gear 3-4. It feels like it slips for half a second especially when the car is cold. The gear shift between 3-4 gets better as the engine/transmission warms up. Once the gear is engaged there are no problems at all. All the other gears shift as they did before which is a good thing. Downshifting from 5-4 has no problems at all.

Im not sure what the problem could be. I got ~5 liters back in the tranny while filling using the instructions given in this DIY. Could it be that my transmission fluid is a little low/too high? or that the castrol ATF is not mixing well with the oem fluid.

what is the best way to check the tranny temperature while filling?
what is the best way to heat up the transmission? (should i drive it around to warm it up)
I started the vehicle on jack stands for about 10 minutes while filling with an outdoor temperature of ~60 degrees Fahrenheit.

BTW my e92 335i has 60,000 miles on it and had no tranny problems prior to changing the fluid. I did this DIY because my mechatronic sleeve was leaking.

Any help or suggestions would be great
I will repost once I figure out the problem

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Best way to check transmission fluid is between 86 and 112 degree's on a level surface..Start the car and let it idle you should have an IR Theromemeter to check the tempature. Shining the beam of light at the pan..

When you filled it up, you started by pumping fluid into the transmission till your got a stream, started the car and then continued pumping fluid in until you got a steady small stream ?

I'm personally am not a fan of multi vehicles fluids, I would start all over and use the proper fluid and long with a new filter/pan especially since your only at 60k
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
MA2-335
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the response Bavarian tech

My car is fine now 👍

I decided to measure how much fluid I had in my oil pan (old oem fluid). I took out a little over 6.5 liters. So I drove my car until the engine oil was relatively warm. Put it on jack stands and raised the back of the car a little more. Checked the pan with a leveler. I ended up getting over 6.5 liters in total back into the tranny. I'm really happy I didn't have to take my car to the dealer or a tranny shop.

I drove it to warm it because my ATF pan wasnt warm when I started it for 10 mins last time.

Hopefully no one else make the same mistake
Appreciate 0