E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu flex fuel kit or jb4 when using e85:91 mix

11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Vishnu flex fuel kit or jb4 when using e85:91 mix

So I've been reading a lot regarding the Vishnu flex fuel kit and how it's really safe compared to the other piggybacks out there when it comes to mixing e85 with 91. Is the Vishnu flex fuel kit better and safer than using jb4 map 5 when mixing?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

imo the fact the vishnu uses upgraded fuel lines tells you your answer. Unless you also get a cobb for the bms dme flash than you can't run a high percentage (over 50) of e85. Vishnu flashes the dme as part of the kit, which could be an issue if you're under warranty
      11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzackt View Post
imo the fact the vishnu uses upgraded fuel lines tells you your answer. Unless you also get a cobb for the bms dme flash than you can't run a high percentage (over 50) of e85. Vishnu flashes the dme as part of the kit, which could be an issue if you're under warranty
Yeah that's what I'm scared of is Vishnu reflashing my dme and I still have my warranty...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If thats the case a nice feature of using the cobb is that you can reflash back and forth from stock to bms very easily. Obviously cobb's are not cheap so I would try finding one used on the for sale threads

I didn't know this before but Vishnu does not reflash your dme. They modify the existing software. Which should mean that you won't have any issues at the dealership. Not sure how many people have experience with this...

Last edited by Exzackt; 11-12-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
If thats the case a nice feature of using the cobb is that you can reflash back and forth from stock to bms very easily. Obviously cobb's are not cheap so I would try finding one used on the for sale threads

I didn't know this before but Vishnu does not reflash your dme. They modify the existing software. Which should mean that you won't have any issues at the dealership. Not sure how many people have experience with this...
Yeah I read something about that... I don't know too much of Vishnu piggybacks. So what's the purpose of sending them your dme if they just need to update the software
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335idizzle View Post
So what's the purpose of sending them your dme if they just need to update the software
The PROcedeFlash is an update to the existing code running on your DME. They modify a few tables in the stock code and leave the rest of the tuning to the Procede.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ask shiv but I believe it modifies the software to flow more fuel into the system
      11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
The Vishnu flash is invisible to the dealer because it keeps your original DME serial number intact. As someone mentioned, it simply modifies up a few fueling and tables to allow the PROcede more flexibility when interacting with your DME. Everyone who has questions about Vishnu's flex fuel kit should read this:
http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/styled-19/index.html
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

The Vishnu flex has its advantages. But just getting around the trim issue is only part of the problem. As you get into higher ethanol content, your LPFP will become the week point. I know, I had that issue, but not anymore. The new Vishnu pump is the answer to this issue, and not just for the Proceed users. Terry's solution although innovative, didn't resolve the problem. I put down 422whp on a Mustang dyno and was able to pull through the half mile this weekend without any codes.

So don't jump to conclusions until FFTEC goes production with the new pump. That and what ever solution you go with to fix your trims will allow you to take full advantage of e85 and unlock the power you're looking to make. This is also true for upgraded turbo's.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
Is the Vishnu flex fuel kit better and safer than using jb4 map 5 when mixing?
I have the flexfuel kit.

I think jb4 can be just as safe but it requires that you datalog every time you fill up with gas to make sure you car is running well. And also modify maps if you want to squeeze more power based on the ethanol content.

Because I don't have to do the above and I still get the safe power levels based on ethanol content I think the flexfuel kit is better.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
The PROcedeFlash is an update to the existing code running on your DME. They modify a few tables in the stock code and leave the rest of the tuning to the Procede.
Okay that's good to know...thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
The Vishnu flex has its advantages. But just getting around the trim issue is only part of the problem. As you get into higher ethanol content, your LPFP will become the week point. I know, I had that issue, but not anymore. The new Vishnu pump is the answer to this issue, and not just for the Proceed users. Terry's solution although innovative, didn't resolve the problem. I put down 422whp on a Mustang dyno and was able to pull through the half mile this weekend without any codes.

So don't jump to conclusions until FFTEC goes production with the new pump. That and what ever solution you go with to fix your trims will allow you to take full advantage of e85 and unlock the power you're looking to make. This is also true for upgraded turbo's.
Thanks for the info man. I'm starting to like what I'm hearing
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
bmw335idizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
I have the flexfuel kit.

I think jb4 can be just as safe but it requires that you datalog every time you fill up with gas to make sure you car is running well. And also modify maps if you want to squeeze more power based on the ethanol content.

Because I don't have to do the above and I still get the safe power levels based on ethanol content I think the flexfuel kit is better.
I think I'm going to switch to Vishnu soon. I always wanted to run e85 mix with jb4 but I was scared about the whole factory fuel pump and not knowing exactly how much mix am I running. It sounds like the Vishnu flex fuel kit will give me that safe peace of mind feeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

I run 60/40 E85/93 as much as possible..I'm on JB4 G5 isolated board..I have ever had issues with E85 ever..GL either way you go
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post

Have you tried Terry's solution? I can't wait to see Vishnu's pump when it's released, I've been dying to go higher than E60 and still see safe trims
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
So I've been reading a lot regarding the Vishnu flex fuel kit and how it's really safe compared to the other piggybacks out there when it comes to mixing e85 with 91. Is the Vishnu flex fuel kit better and safer than using jb4 map 5 when mixing?
The JB4 is held back by the OEM fuel table's (which means E30-E60 depending on the particular car) w/o their back-end flash and relies on simulated lamda feedback to adjust OL to keep target A/F ratio. The target boost is adjusted base on monitoring (but not adjusting) the ignition timing curve on cyl 1. IIRC, E85/91 octane + DCI put down about 420rwhp on a dynojet, below what Vishnu's flex-fueled vehicles are putting down with their ability to run higher ethanol content.

Both are safe, but the Vishnu is easiest because it's a set it, and forget method. The JB4 requires some monitoring every once in awhile, but I've set it and forget it for the past 4 months after finding a reliable E85 source. Auto adjustment on the JB4 only occurs in 3rd-4th gears between 4,000-6,000rpm at WOT, something that I recommend 10 mins after every fill-up if you decide to keep the JB4.

Poor some in the tank and enjoy, start off slow. From my testing w/o methanol:

E20 cleans up timing up to 14.5 psi
E30 cleans up timing up to 15.5 psi
E40 cleans up timing up to 16.5 psi
E50 cleans up timing up to 17.5 psi

Power from any up'd ethanol content will bring a smile to your face. Take your pic and don't make the decision get complicated, it's a very simple task, this is from an "experienced" E85 user.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:

Well, thats the exact problem I happen to have right now. I am fairly certain that the software/flash/whatever is invisible to the dealer,but they will surely notice it when the car only makes 2 PSI of boost.

With the flexfuel reflash, the dme runs limited boost when the sensor is not hooked up and/or the proceed isn't hooked up.

Right now my new-ish turbos are failing, so I have to take it back to the dealer. Yet, I had to pay $80 to ship the damned thing back to vishnu to flash it back to OEM. (overnight from Ohio to Cali FTL) Then I have to put it back in and put some miles on it.

There certainly are downsides if you ever want delaer assistance on the turbos again...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
The Vishnu flash is invisible to the dealer because it keeps your original DME serial number intact. As someone mentioned, it simply modifies up a few fueling and tables to allow the PROcede more flexibility when interacting with your DME. Everyone who has questions about Vishnu's flex fuel kit should read this:
http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/styled-19/index.html
At one point I seem to remember there was an issue with boost when using the Vishnu flash (either no boost, or over boosting when turning it all off to go to the dealer). Is that not the case any more? I'd love to get the Vishnu FF kit, but I still have 3 years of warranty left and don't want to have to argue if something goes wrong.

TIA.
-Rich
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
I have the flexfuel kit.

No, the JB4 monitors timing advance and fuel trims and auto tunes itself when on E85. So you don't need to monitor anything. To run more than 50% E85 you normally also need the BMS flash which allows higher than OEM advance points and resolves the fuel trims issues.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
Well, thats the exact problem I happen to have right now. I am fairly certain that the software/flash/whatever is invisible to the dealer,but they will surely notice it when the car only makes 2 PSI of boost.

With the flexfuel reflash, the dme runs limited boost when the sensor is not hooked up and/or the proceed isn't hooked up.

Right now my new-ish turbos are failing, so I have to take it back to the dealer. Yet, I had to pay $80 to ship the damned thing back to vishnu to flash it back to OEM. (overnight from Ohio to Cali FTL) Then I have to put it back in and put some miles on it.

There certainly are downsides if you ever want delaer assistance on the turbos again...

Sending DME's back and forth for dealer visits is one headache. But I think the real issue is updates. New tables are found all the time and little revisions to the flash maps are frequent. So keeping the flash side up to date with the latest VANOS change, or IAT decay, or whatever else these guys have planned, could be a real headache unless you can load the flashes at home.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Sending DME's back and forth for dealer visits is one headache. But I think the real issue is updates. New tables are found all the time and little revisions to the flash maps are frequent. So keeping the flash side up to date with the latest VANOS change, or IAT decay, or whatever else these guys have planned, could be a real headache unless you can load the flashes at home.

Mike
It's interesting that you refer to it as the BMS flash conveniently leaving out the fact that you have to pay for a $800 Cobb AP in order to flash your DME.

Also, as Spool Twice mentioned, you can only set it and forget it if you have a steady supply of E85, if your fuel mix changes dramatically, well, you better be monitoring your data logs pretty carefully.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
At one point I seem to remember there was an issue with boost when using the Vishnu flash (either no boost, or over boosting when turning it all off to go to the dealer). Is that not the case any more? I'd love to get the Vishnu FF kit, but I still have 3 years of warranty left and don't want to have to argue if something goes wrong.

TIA.
-Rich
Speak to Shiv man, he's probably sorted the issue out. Cool to see you're in Colorado, must be nice having a turbocharged car up there. When I lived there my naturally aspirated 6 cylinder Mazda 6 would huff and puff up the passes

Appreciate 0