E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Looking for advice for those who live in upstate NY

04-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Looking for advice for those who live in upstate NY

It's a high possibility I will be attending University at Buffalo for 2 years (or 6 years if I get into their PharmD program) and I'm planning to bring my car up there with me.

I was wondering if I have to worry about anything. Will I have to worry about the snow? From what I've read, Buffalo does a pretty good job in snow cleaning as the snow hits.

Also, since the south campus (downtown Buffalo) is where most of the party scene is, will I be able to have a clear consciousness that nothing will happen to my car? I know that downtown Buffalo isn't the safest place to be, which is why I'm wondering. Anything else I need to know would be appreciated it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

I live down here and had my car up in Cortland(which is by Ithaca and Syracuse); so I know what the winters are like up there. They are honestly really shitty..and at the time I had my G35 coupe with winter tires and RWD, I got around but the winters up there are no joke...I never drove unless I absolutely had to.

That being said and seeing your profile; if you have an Xi and you have all seasons or winters on it, you'll be fine. As far as you're car being fine theft or w/e wise, you'd have to ask someone else lol..but I'm sure it's just like any other place..it'll have its good places and bad places, but if you're on campus i'm sure you're good
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
08Bwags
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
It's a high possibility I will be attending University at Buffalo for 2 years (or 6 years if I get into their PharmD program) and I'm planning to bring my car up there with me.

I was wondering if I have to worry about anything. Will I have to worry about the snow? From what I've read, Buffalo does a pretty good job in snow cleaning as the snow hits.

Also, since the south campus (downtown Buffalo) is where most of the party scene is, will I be able to have a clear consciousness that nothing will happen to my car? I know that downtown Buffalo isn't the safest place to be, which is why I'm wondering. Anything else I need to know would be appreciated it.
I live in Rochester and my 2 best friends attend UB south campus and Live right down the street ( w. Northrup pl) Winters are brutal but with snow tires and AWD you will be in better shape then most honestly. As for the city...LEAVE YOUR CAR AT HOME! Im there a lot weekends and I personally would never drive my car around there let a lone park it there. There are some serious scumbags at south campus. You might get away with little door dings and bumper scuffs and such on campus for parking but party wise off campus...kiss your car goodbye. Ive seen people throw beer cans/bottles at cars right in the street. The most common...people will find the nicest car (BMW esp.) and pee right on it like a tree. My friend who lives there drives an Altima coupe and will only drive his winter beater there and leave his ALTIMA back here in Rochester. I feel like thats saying something.
I'm not sure if you plan on living on campus but if you do, your odds are a lot better if you keep your car there on campus. Ride with a friend or take the drunk bus to partys and such. OR if you have a beater by all means take that and save your beautiful BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks guys for the responses. Guess I wont be bringing my car down to south campus for most of my time up there, if ever.

And yeah I plan on living on campus. Hopefully move to an surrounding apartment though sophomore year. I'm going to make it a habit of parking to the farthest spot in the residential parking lot to avoid unnecessary dings. I'll be fucked for the winter when I need to take a long walk to the car but whatever.

Still hope I get off St. John's waiting list for their pharmacy program........at least I'll be a lot closer to most of you guys and home.

Last edited by sA x sKy; 04-24-2011 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
08Bwags
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post

Still hope I get off St. John's waiting list for their pharmacy program........at least I'll be a lot closer to most of you guys and home.
St. John's would be a totally different world. Nice college, My cousin went there for the Pharmacy program, he loved it and is doing really well. UB is still a good college too. Location just isnt the best.
Appreciate 0