E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catted Downpipes + N55 Midpipe (Catless)

06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

I too was under the assumption that people didn't do this setup because:

1. Not many have done it.
2. Costs are much higher.

That said, the ability to revert to stock, and use OEM pipes is alluring to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
More expensive, yes, but with added convenience

I was addressing the midcatt delete in your original post. If you add cattless DP's and do a midpipe delete it would be more of a hassle to have those things welded back on for whatever reason vs doing a swap out

The reason no one hasn't done it is because the N55 midpipes didnt exist and only recently found out that you can swap the N55 midpipes with the N54 midpipes for midcatts and mid exhaust delete.

People are only going to follow what others do, that's the trend
You're talking about two separate issues. I never suggested that deleting the secondaries was a good idea. If OP is set on catless midpipes, I think getting a set of N55 midpipes is the way to go. My point is that getting catted downpipes and N55 midpipes is pointless when he can get catless downpipes and keep his catted midpipes. Any way you look at it, it's a more sensible option.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
That said, the ability to revert to stock, and use OEM pipes is alluring to me.
All the more reason to get catless downpipes and keep your existing midpipes. If you ever need to go back to stock, you just need to swap out the downpipes. If you get catted downpipes and N55 midpipes and want to go back to stock, you would have to swap the downpipes and midpipes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
More expensive, yes, but with added convenience

2I was addressing the midcatt delete in your original post. If you add cattless DP's and do a midpipe delete it would be more of a hassle to have those things welded back on for whatever reason vs doing a swap out

3The reason no one hasn't done it is because the N55 midpipes didnt exist and only recently found out that you can swap the N55 midpipes with the N54 midpipes for midcatts and mid exhaust delete.

4People are only going to follow what others do, that's the trend
There is no "added convienience" when you have to hack up your rear exhaust section to fit these $600 pipes, that will flow worse with catted downpipes, than catless DP's and stock mids, period.

Regarding 2, of course it would be, but would also be the exact same with Catted DP's. Nobody was talking about going fully catless when 99% of the gains are in the downpipes.

3, what do you mean didn't exist? N55 mids have been out since the N55 was released, it's an OEM part number for those cars. Before then people just deleted their secondaries which is the same exact thing regarding flow. People have been doing it since 2007.

4, Of course they will when what they are doing is tested and proven to show results. You are in the same group.

PS It's catless not cattless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
You're talking about two separate issues. I never suggested that deleting the secondaries was a good idea. If OP is set on catless midpipes, I think getting a set of N55 midpipes is the way to go. My point is that getting catted downpipes and N55 midpipes is pointless when he can get catless downpipes and keep his catted midpipes. Any way you look at it, it's a more sensible option.
+1. I'm having a hard time understanding what he's trying to say, thoughts are all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Another question comes to mind.

Let's say I want to be responsible, environmentally friendly, and health conscious.

Would the secondary cats be able to do as good of a job at filtering the emissions/noise as primary race cats in a set of aftermarket downpipes?

To rephrase: Wouldn't going catted DP and catless midpipes be less noise/smell/emissions than catless DP + OEM catted midpipes?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Let's say I want to be responsible, environmentally friendly, and health conscious.

Would the secondary cats be able to do as good of a job at filtering the emissions/noise as primary race cats in a set of aftermarket downpipes?

To rephrase: Wouldn't going catted DP and catless midpipes be less noise/smell/emissions than catless DP + OEM catted midpipes?
Hard to say. The race cats are either 200 or 300 cell cats. The stock secondaries are a bit smaller (600 cell) but its further away from the turbos so they don't get as hot. I would say it would be about the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is very little smell to no smell with catless downpipes and stock secondaries once they are warmed up. Neither of the two options will pass smog (in California, at least). It is hard to say which option is actually more harmful to the environment, but as previously mentioned, it's probably about the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:

Since N54 enthusiast have followed the mainstream method of "Cattles DPs + N54 Stock midpipes with Catts or completely cattless" it would technically be hard to say. I would stick to producing the facts rather than making assumptions to avoid negative comments. Lets say hypothetically it does produce more gains than the traditional method it will still be frowned upon due to the cost involved

Highflow Catted DPs + N55 midpipes + axle back exhaust is uncharted territory for the N54, so nothing will be known until after it has been done.

When the cooler season come back to Florida I should then have this setup with 360 results
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Since N54 enthusiast have followed the mainstream method of "Cattles DPs + N54 Stock midpipes with Catts or completely cattless" it would technically be hard to say. I would stick to producing the facts rather than making assumptions to avoid negative comments. Lets say hypothetically it does produce more gains than the traditional method it will still be frowned upon due to the cost involved

Highflow Catted DPs + N55 midpipes + axle back exhaust is uncharted territory for the N54, so nothing will be known until after it has been done.

When the cooler season come back to Florida I should then have this setup with 360 results
It's not "uncharted territory," many people run catted DP's and a catless catback exhaust, and have been doing so for years.You seem to think you are pioneering something when you arn't. Look at SyndicateGT for example, even ran RB's with your preferred setup. And it's cat, not catt. Please, that bothers me. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #32
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post

3, what do you mean didn't exist? N55 mids have been out since the N55 was released, it's an OEM part number for those cars. Before then people just deleted their secondaries which is the same exact thing regarding flow. People have been doing it since 2007.
The N55 did not exist until 4-5 years later after N54 was, parts did not become available to the public till the following year. This is what I was referencing that already progressed in a trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
It's not "uncharted territory," many people run catted DP's and a catless catback exhaust, and have been doing so for years.You seem to think you are pioneering something when you arn't. Look at SyndicateGT for example, even ran RB's with your preferred setup. And it's cat, not catt. Please, that bothers me. Lol.
Interesting my bad then, I never knew you were running catted, oops, no, cated DPs (meow) with stock midpipes. Always thought it was "catless" DPs with stock midpipes...meow

Never heard of anyone else running similar setup, again my bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The N55 did not exist until 4-5 years later after N54 was, parts did not become available to the public till the following year. This is what I was referencing that already progressed in a trend

Interesting my bad then, I never knew you were running catted, oops, no, cated DPs (meow) with stock midpipes. Always thought it was "catless" DPs with stock midpipes...meow

Never heard of anyone else running similar setup, again my bad.
No worries, their are plenty of people that run a similar setup. I have catless downpipes. There are two t's in catted but that's it. It's cats, catless, cat.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

^^ I'll play too - it's "there" not "their"...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #35
mdyates
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 335is DCT JB4

I have a 335iS and went catless dp's and left midcats alone. Driving normally it doesn't sound much louder, just deeper. WOT sounds insane, however! And cold start is a tad bit on the loud side. I'm very pleased overall with zero sense of exhaust smell
RECORD 1/4 JB4/Flash ONLY: 11.9 @118 mph
After Dp's installed: 11.57 @120 mph(best trap 121 mph)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Do you have to pass a visual inspection in FL?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Do you have to pass a visual inspection in FL?
There are no emissions checks at all in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

dag nabbit
Appreciate 0