E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone new crack 10s yet?

02-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #45
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

1/4 mile cars are purposely built with suspension to facilitate weight transfer to the rear wheels (not many options for n54 here), beefed up drive train mods, slicks in back an skinnys up front. someone with stock turbos and a proper drag suspension w slicks would be smoking many of the high hp cars on this board. Until that 1 race where something breaks. As others said, I havnt seen any 335 owners build a dedicated track cat as of yet, and that likely what shiv had in mind when he ran those numbers. Hopefully someone does this soon thogh.
      02-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #46
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
1/4 mile cars are purposely built with suspension to facilitate weight transfer to the rear wheels (not many options for n54 here), beefed up drive train mods, slicks in back an skinnys up front. someone with stock turbos and a proper drag suspension w slicks would be smoking many of the high hp cars on this board. Until that 1 race where something breaks. As others said, I havnt seen any 335 owners build a dedicated track cat as of yet, and that likely what shiv had in mind when he ran those numbers. Hopefully someone does this soon thogh.
If people want to see what the n54 is capable of as a track car and want to contribute to a fund setup for it, I will dedicate my car to it and just buy a different daily

But you are right with all the points you have mentioned. The aftermarket BMW scene is finally starting to get into drag racing and developing parts. Look how many parts there are for auto cross builds. That is what BMW's have been known for so this is all new to the aftermarket companies. It's like trying to throw a mustang into auto cross. Yea they have parts to set it up for auto cross, but not nearly as much options as they have for building drag cars. The opposite is true for BMW's but it is slowly shifting. Its a nice thing to see though, that's for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #47
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost
Can't wait to fully build my n54 after this project I have coming along with my dad (real estate) then all my left over funds go towards the build since I'm never getting rid of it

Side note I have a friend that is fully building his N54 it's an XI from Illinois area that I can keep you guys updated on with his approval if he's not on here.
R u talking about Adams XI?

He's the only person in IL (besides me) that I know of that has a heavily modified XI.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #48
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost
Can't wait to fully build my n54 after this project I have coming along with my dad (real estate) then all my left over funds go towards the build since I'm never getting rid of it

Side note I have a friend that is fully building his N54 it's an XI from Illinois area that I can keep you guys updated on with his approval if he's not on here.

He's the only person in IL (besides me) that I know of that has a heavily modified XI.
Yes sir Adam haha
      02-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #49
altostratus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post

Hopefully I'll be in the heavily modified Xi crew too. Thinking VTT stage2+ with 19t wheels with meth and 110oct. Cause.....why not.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #50
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Oh I definitely feel your pain lol..! I was in the import scene for quite a while, and it all started off with a 92' Civic VX with 82hp (got 45mpg though) that was running high 16's lol, up until my last car which I had a fully built/boosted 00' Civic SI that was in the 400hp club running 10's consistently.. And it's funny because my 335i at 300hp doesn't appear much slower on paper then the SI, but in the Civic it felt like I was going to take off into outer space when I launched lmao..! Whereas in the BMW I often look down and dont even realize I'm doing 80mph!! Oh how things have changed..!
Don't suppose you were on ClubSi back in the day, were you? I had an '99 EBP Si in the back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm6w View Post
You guys must not know how to properly launch a vehicle / shift if you are " breaking things" at a 1/4 track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm6w View Post
Plenty of times buddy boy...in a 27 year old M6 and never had a problem.
WHen I first went to a drag strip at the ripe old age of 15, some random old man (probably late 20s, lol) told me:

"Buddy, if you ain't breakin' it you ain't racin' it."

That's a universal truth. Breaking parts means you're pushing the car to its boundaries and past them. As has been pointed out, you're revealing the weak link in the chain - and there is ALWAYS a weak link. Fix the current one, and it'll be something else. I'm glad you enjoying tracking your M6 (and those are effin' cool cars, too, by the way), but if you're drag racing it and not breaking it, you're not pushing it. Then again, your car runs a 14.5 in the quarter, stock, with a 0-60 of 6.1 seconds. That was blazing fast in the early 80s, but I'm afraid that 30 years later it's just not.

If you're spinning, you need drag radials or slicks. If you're gripping and not breaking, you're not making much power. Sorry man, but facts are facts.
      02-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #51
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by altostratus View Post
Hopefully I'll be in the heavily modified Xi crew too. Thinking VTT stage2+ with 19t wheels with meth and 110oct. Cause.....why not.
Not sure if 335I turbos go on the XI, but i have a set of T19 wheel turbos with thrust upgrade for sale right now. Leme know
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #52
altostratus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
Not sure if 335I turbos go on the XI, but i have a set of T19 wheel turbos with thrust upgrade for sale right now. Leme know
Very interesting turbos....no difference with 335i turbos vs. Xi turbos, just different downpipes routing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #53
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by altostratus View Post
Very interesting turbos....no difference with 335i turbos vs. Xi turbos, just different downpipes routing.
They're up for sale in the "for sale" section, take a look see!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #54
altostratus
Private First Class
Rep

Very interesting... Sadly I'm in Canada.
Appreciate 0