E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Replace valve cover or just gasket?

02-04-2021, 04:47 AM   #1
Peckarami
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Replace valve cover or just gasket?

After seaching many different word combos my searching has come up with nothing related to my question, so hoping someone can help!

I need to change my valve cover gasket on my 2011 N55 E92. The car has now covered 78K and this is likely the first time the gasket will be changed. I will also be replacing the valvetronic motor/eccentric shaft actuator & associated gasket and the oil filter housing gaskets.

I am mechanically minded enough to complete the work DIY so no issues there.

My question is, at this mileage, should I bite the bullet and replace the entire valve cover (I cannot see any cracks) or just the gasket? I plan to do this over a weekend, and have the car for work on Monday, but if I just get the gasket and find a crack I then need to order a new cover anyway.

Do I need to get BMW genuine?

Is there a manufacture that makes these for BMW with the BMW logo removed like other OE parts?

I am almost thinking that if I need new bolts and a gasket, if both come with a new valve cover I should just buy the whole assembly?

Any suggestions or experiences most appreciated!

Cheers all!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I think if were me, and I was absolutely sure there were no cracks, I'd stick with the existing cover. Two things to check - should you use new bolts or can you re-use? Rule of thumb is to look for a spot of blue paint on the bolt heads (means you should discard). Also not sure if you may need new plug sleeves.

And secondly, make sure you know the correct torque value for the bolts. I think these differ if the cover is plastic or alloy. I've read some nasty stories on line about over-torqued bolts shearing or under-torqued bolts causing leaks...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #3
Willygbr66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

I had a similar conundrum last year. Gasket leaking however cover was perfectly fine. After spending a little time researching on the internet I sourced a genuine BMW cover for about £130. I understand they are somewhat more expensive elsewhere. I’ll try and track down which company it was. Anyway on arriving it had all the replacement bolts included. For piece of mind if you can afford it I would do both however that’s my personal opinion and I am glad I did to be honest as it was one less thing to worry about in the future.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
Peckarami
Rep

Thanks for the responses!

Willygbr - If you do manage to dig out who supplied the valve cover & bolts that would be fab. I would rather pay the £130 for the lot TBH. BMW want £330 for the valve cover. I am sure I can get the same quality part for less. AUTODOC do a range of covers, but without knowing who was the OE manufacturer I am hesitant to take a punt on an unknown brand.

Does RIDEX ring a bell? This is on the AUTODOC app for £144.

I spotted a thread on the M3 forum that listed all the manufactures BMW used for OE parts (link below) I searched on the forums here but cannot see a comparable list. Any chance this exists somewhere that I cannot find?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343867

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Phil325i611.50
      02-04-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
Willygbr66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Managed to track down my invoice. Got the genuine part from Neo Brothers car parts (google them). Based in Waltham Cross. Total cost inc. vat was £111.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:24 AM   #6
Peckarami
Rep

Thank you! I will contact them today, saves worrying about a 10 year piece of BMW plastic if I can replace with new for a good price.
Appreciate 0