E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Rear Wheel Bearing, Rear Differential, or Driveshaft Bearing Noise?

02-05-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
italstallion
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i XDRIVE

Rear Wheel Bearing, Rear Differential, or Driveshaft Bearing Noise?

Hi e90 post,

I have a 2011 E90 335i XDrive 6-speed manual with 125k miles and have been experiencing a humming/“whomp whomp” noise coming from the rear of the car. I have reason to believe that it could be a wheel bearing, rear differential, or a bearing along the driveshaft. The noise doesn’t really change going from one side to the other when turning left or right. The car is completely stock and is on 17 inch runflats. I’ve checked the tires and they seem to be all even with no signs of premature or uneven wear.

The video attached takes place on the highway going about 60mph and then getting off at about 40mph and then to about 25-30mph, with a stop towards the end. Additionally, I start with my phone in my hand located at the center of the car and then move to the rear right footwell, then the left rear footwell, and then back to the center. For the last 50 seconds or so, the phone is sitting on the rear middle seat.

Any potential guesses as to what this could be are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BMW E90 Rear End Noise Video
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:16 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Impossible to say for sure without being there in person, but sure sounds ilke a wheel bearing to me. Spin them by hand with the rear off the groun and see if one feels gritty
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 08:47 AM   #3
Seawolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E46 vert, E91xi, E24

Where in MA are you ?

I have a set of wireless Steelman ChassisEars that will easily diagnose where that noise is coming from.

If you are in Western MA you can drop by and set this up to locate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:30 AM   #4
italstallion
Registered
United_States
Rep

I’m 20 minutes north of Boston so unfortunately not in Western Mass. Thank you for the offer though.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:27 PM   #5
italstallion
Registered
United_States
Rep

Hi all,

So after lifting the car up and doing the 12-6 and 9-3 test, both sides are both solid. I spun both wheels and hear just normal brake disc and pad connection, but nothing crazy out of the ordinary. I do however hear another noise when I turn it that is present on both sides. I wonder if it coming from the differential, since it sounds like it’s coming from that area when I put my ear to the differential while someone else spins the wheel. Am I mistaking this sound for a wheel bearing or a bad differential? Or is it a normal sound altogether? See video to hear what I am talking about.

BMW E90 335i XDRIVE Rear Wheel Sound
Appreciate 0