E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > HELP PLEASE -- PROS and CONS of Xi OVER i

10-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #89
mourispc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Sedan, M-Sport

335i vs 335xi

I am uniquely qualified to answer this question as I've owned both a 335i coupe and a 335xi coupe (don't ask...). I'll start by saying you are crazy to get a 335xi in Southern Cali. I needed it living here in New York where we get lots of snow in the winter. The 335xi is noticeably more sluggish than the 335i, due to the added weight. Additionally, the stock suspension in the 335xi is hideous and the wheel gap is truck-like. KW-V3 coilovers are REQUIRED with the XI to lower the ride height and decrease the excessive body roll. The 335i sport suspension is actually not horrible and would only require an upgrade if you intend to track the car.

I first bought a 335i and put a Split Second Turbo Tuner in it. The gains were fairly noticeable in the higher rev range. I then bought a 335xi and sold the 335i. When I put the Turbo Tuner in the XI, I could barely notice any gains. The extra weight and the increase drivetrain losses of the AWD seemed to counteract the modest power gains of the SSTT.

All that said, I prefer the 335xi for where I live due to being able to drive it all year round. You definitely get far less wheel spin with the XI, but I doubt you'll ever beat a comparably equipped 335i because contrary to what you may have heard, the increase in traction DOES NOT compensate for the increase in weight and drivetrain losses. But, I had the KW-V3 coilovers installed so it rides and corners very well (comparable to an e46 M3). I also replaced the SSTT with a more powerful JB3 PNP, to overcome the extra weight and drivetrain losses of the AWD system. But if I lived in SoCal, it wouldn't even be a debate, I'd have a 335i with a JB3 PNP!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #90
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_blue View Post
Nonsense. The X drive is amazing...and offers the whole package....BMW performance...and go anywhere capability.
I have major ice covered hills that I have left Land rovers on -- in my X. I have watched many RWD Bimmers spinning on the roadside in major snowstorms....X drive steering feels better to me...heavier sure...but I am a big dude...who like to hit the slopes.....X drive is the bomb.
I had an '05 STI before my XI and I can tell you the STI's AWD system is far, far superior in every aspect to the XI, for both snow and track. While the XI is confident, the STI was amazing and much more fun. It just wasn't as comfortable. If all out performance is your need, the XI would be a bad choice against the EVO and STI. If daily livability fits your needs then the XI is the better choice. Once BMW develops a system that allows variation in torque to opposing axles, there will be a huge improvement. If they don't do it before my lease is up, Audi will be the choice as they are offering that in the new S4. Heck even Acura is doing it in the new TL and has been doing it for the past couple years with the RL, MDX and RDX.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #91
2XVanos
Private
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I had an '05 STI before my XI and I can tell you the STI's AWD system is far, far superior in every aspect to the XI, for both snow and track. While the XI is confident, the STI was amazing and much more fun. It just wasn't as comfortable. If all out performance is your need, the XI would be a bad choice against the EVO and STI. If daily livability fits your needs then the XI is the better choice. Once BMW develops a system that allows variation in torque to opposing axles, there will be a huge improvement. If they don't do it before my lease is up, Audi will be the choice as they are offering that in the new S4. Heck even Acura is doing it in the new TL and has been doing it for the past couple years with the RL, MDX and RDX.
I think the latest version of Xdrive that's in the X6 or soon to be intro'd does this. I can only speak from owning an XI. I think there are weight penalties and the the wheel gap sucks. I took care of the extra weight with the Dinan Stage II and it's great; plenty of power for me. I think XI helps with wheel spin a lot. I went with H&R lowering springs to close the wheel gap. My biggest issue with the XI is the ride is pretty harsh (even before lowering).

I live where we get some snow (DC) and I need to be able to get to work regardless. If I were in SoCal and didn't need to go the mountains to ski I'd def. go with the normal I. However if you live in a snow-belt and don't need 9'/10 performance, I think the you'll probably enioy the XI.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #92
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrinzeofcatz View Post
from a roll, xi will be at a disadvantage compared to i because of the extra weight
But the xi has better grip. So will it?

If you live in California, You don't need xi. There should be a law that stops people from selling all wheel drive cars in LA. They don't need it. Send them over here to the East coast, we'll take care of it for them
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #93
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
But the xi has better grip. So will it?

If you live in California, You don't need xi. There should be a law that stops people from selling all wheel drive cars in LA. They don't need it. Send them over here to the East coast, we'll take care of it for them
Yes the XI has the advantage from a standing start, no question. From a roll the weight will take its toll.

California - you do realize that a vast section of the state has mountains that receive more snow than most of the United States? Heck my house is at elevation taller than Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.

The ski areas that are all within 20 minutes of my house average between 450 -500 inches per year. The only ski are in the east that comes remotely close is Jay Peak in upstate Vermont, and they get around 100 inches less per year. The rest of the New England ski areas get considerably less than that. If you live in the Sierra Nevada, or frequent the area, AWD is a must, unless you like chaining up on the highway in the middle of a snow storm.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #94
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

BMW X drive sucks compared to Audi and STI/EVO AWD's.

But i still enjoy my 335xi. If i had to do it all over. I would opt for a 335i instead.

In the snow and rain xi might help a little bit. But 335i with winter tires might do almost the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #95
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
BMW X drive sucks compared to Audi and STI/EVO AWD's.

But i still enjoy my 335xi. If i had to do it all over. I would opt for a 335i instead.

In the snow and rain xi might help a little bit. But 335i with winter tires might do almost the same.
As long as you are not trying to drive up an incline or through deep snow. Then the i won't move, snow tires or not, nearly as easily as the X-drive will.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #96
JAM_BMW
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saphire Black 2008 328xi E92

Agree
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #97
evo911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03Porsche 996TT 08E92 335xi

i luv my xi in every way minus the suspension, i went through 2 285/25/20 pirellis every 2 months it was getting expensive and rediculous because of the camber. i just dropped it off at the guy that does my evo work (Slick Motorsports) for coilovers, clutch, shifter, trans mounts, maybe adding methanol injection, custom ic piping, custom ic, relocating the radiator reservoir to put intake on turbo side so theres not tubes running everywhere under the hood. possibly going to a single GT35HTA turbosetup and he has his own tuning and fuel management ideas in the works... Tryin to make it live up to my Evo or Sledgehammer 996..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #98
e90dream
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

cons of XI =
1. weight
2. slight loss of steering feel
3. suspension clunks when hitting potholes
4. typical awd understeer (although i must say powersliding is kind fun)
5. wheel gap and ride height like 4x4

I traded in my 325xi for the 335i. never needed it for socal but i wanted to try it. besides the extra power i enjoy the rear wheel drive only dynamics in handling much better. hope this helps.
      11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #99
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Seems like most of the XI cons can be addressed by a fresh set of KW V3s; but the I lack of grip in snow and rain can be addressed [effectively] how?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #100
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
performance only = i

slightly less performance with some practicality for all weather = xi

chip for both. KW V3s for xi. simple as that
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #101
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Antic'ing

I just want to know, from those with tuned (400ish hp) XIs .... (or those who have friends with them) ... can you get any good tail happy antic-ing out of them or not....

I've heard both but no reliable sources........ seems like with the power perhaps you could...

I have an i... my dad has an xi ... i haven't driven his... and he doesn't have it tuned, so while i might be able to sorta answer the question down the road.... i'd appreciate any reviews regarding tail fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #102
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
I just want to know, from those with tuned (400ish hp) XIs .... (or those who have friends with them) ... can you get any good tail happy antic-ing out of them or not....

I've heard both but no reliable sources........ seems like with the power perhaps you could...

I have an i... my dad has an xi ... i haven't driven his... and he doesn't have it tuned, so while i might be able to sorta answer the question down the road.... i'd appreciate any reviews regarding tail fun.
I don't know about the other xi people here, but with an auto tranny and a tune, it's hard to get the xi to spin tires. It just grabs and goes. Not a lot of drama at all quite honestly.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #103
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I've owned both, a 330xi and now a 330i. 95% of the time, I prefer the 330i. True sports suspension, lighter/better steering feel and a car that actually turns in! In the wet, it's still quite ok. In the snow around nYc, it's fine with the dunlop winter sports that I have on....

BUT... this last weekend, I missed my xi and previous audi. Granted it was a big storm and I was a bit of an idiot to drive all the way to the adirondacks on tail end of both snow waves, but hey, that's the only way to get western ski conditions here in the NE.

I was pleasantly surprised by never getting stuck, even in nearly a foot! I never needed the shovel that I bought. Braking is of course v. good. Turning to my surprise is a bit compromised, it's somewhat fun of course in slow corners, where you get to have a bit of a hooligan slide. So one could argue that if a 330i + snows can do last weekend, it can do pretty much anything the east can throw at it.

The big negative surprise for me was straight line tracking on a highway/country road with some snow/tracks on it. Just to keep up with traffic flow, I had to countersteer practically every 30seconds. Minor countersteers, but in several winters of rwd + snows, I've never experienced this much "crabbing"... I never got too sideways, but I think I got more than enough practice and very tired after 100 miles on the white stuff (north of Albany). Either everyone else is a much better driver (somehow doubt the regular uncaring public is so damn good) or they have better tires (somehow doubt this either) or they have a better platform (bingo!).

In a few years, I'll go with an xi (if they offer a sports suspension and improve the interior) or an audi (or a subie perhaps).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #104
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

Here is an idea of the general conditions and the parking spot I pulled out of with no digging...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #105
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

We've had 5 feet in the last week. We have winter storm warning for today and christmas day for another 2-3 feet. Skiing is so good right now. I'm picking up my new skis this morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #106
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
We've had 5 feet in the last week. We have winter storm warning for today and christmas day for another 2-3 feet. Skiing is so good right now. I'm picking up my new skis this morning.
5 feet requires snorkel gear to ski that! I'm jealous...we've only gotten a couple feet here.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #107
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerFUD View Post
5 feet requires snorkel gear to ski that! I'm jealous...we've only gotten a couple feet here.
Well yes, but we had 100 mph + winds so it is wind buff. After the winds settled we had about 20" of ultra light dry powder on top of the wind buff - perfect.
Appreciate 0