E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > nearly wrote the M off Today

Closed Thread

10-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #67
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

so I have been driving a ticking time bomb then ?

looks like Syner have some questions to answer where is that Darren Guy?
      10-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #68
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Good point.

As you state, this may be a safe failure mode. Does that then mean whenever a wheel is kerbed heavily the trailing arm should be inspected and checked for stress fractures and damage as a matter of safety?
No i dontthink so Helen.

This has had a sizeable whack i rekon.
      10-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #69
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Good point.

As you state, this may be a safe failure mode. Does that then mean whenever a wheel is kerbed heavily the trailing arm should be inspected and checked for stress fractures and damage as a matter of safety?
Yes - but don't forget this is all speculation from some blurry pictures. The failure modes I mentioned were speculative, as is the wheel damage theory. It is impossible to know for sure without proper investigation. It could be something else.

Also, the previous owner could have done it without the garages knowledge - they should still have picked it up, but if you're not looking for it etc. it could have been almost impossible or very difficult to detect.

If the (or A.N.Other) garage replaced the kurbed wheel and didn't check this part, then thats a different matter.

But, like I say this is all speculation - so don't hang anyone.......yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #70
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Carl

how the hell could Sytner of missed this when they did a pdi on my car ? this is doing my head in now I my wife and kids could of been killed at anytime
      10-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #71
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

As others have said, the arm is designed to be the weak link and avoid other damage to more expensive parts. My money would be on someone spinning it and hitting a curb at some point or even someone strapping it down on a dyno using these arms.

Either way its a simple fix and you`ll get a free KDS out of it, I know your upset at the minute Mikey (as understandably, anyone would be) but try not to dwell on it, it`s a car, it`ll be put back to as new and everyone`s still in one piece.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #72
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

I really hope Evolve did not strap it down on there dyno like this the other week ?

surely they would know better?

I am not accusing anyone here btw
      10-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #73
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

you have really got my head spinning now DYNO, TRAILING ARM bent DOWNWARDS 420 odd bhp ?

surely not ?
      10-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #74
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
I really hope Evolve did not strap it down on there dyno like this the other week ?

surely they would know better?

I am not accusing anyone here btw
If they did that is a very plausible reason for failure. The part is designed to be strong in compression - it is patently NOT designed to take any lateral load (e.g. from a strap around its mid-point). Even fairly light loading laterally could concievably cause this part to bend - this would then weaken it considerably when subjected to its intended "strong in compression" usual design loads.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #75
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Carl

how the hell could Sytner of missed this when they did a pdi on my car ? this is doing my head in now I my wife and kids could of been killed at anytime
I very much doubt they checked the arms closely with a torch with it on a ramp. Quick visual inspection, may even have not done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
As others have said, the arm is designed to be the weak link and avoid other damage to more expensive parts. My money would be on someone spinning it and hitting a curb at some point or even someone strapping it down on a dyno using these arms.

Either way its a simple fix and you`ll get a free KDS out of it, I know your upset at the minute Mikey (as understandably, anyone would be) but try not to dwell on it, it`s a car, it`ll be put back to as new and everyone`s still in one piece.

I dont think strapping to a dyno would do this. I agree its probably walloped a curb at some point.

How many previous owners? try and contact them. Not there fault in all honesty. Things happen. Shame it wasnt replaced though.
      10-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #76
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Yes - but don't forget this is all speculation from some blurry pictures. The failure modes I mentioned were speculative, as is the wheel damage theory. It is impossible to know for sure without proper investigation. It could be something else.

Also, the previous owner could have done it without the garages knowledge - they should still have picked it up, but if you're not looking for it etc. it could have been almost impossible or very difficult to detect.

If the (or A.N.Other) garage replaced the kurbed wheel and didn't check this part, then thats a different matter.

But, like I say this is all speculation - so don't hang anyone.......yet.
Totally agree, this is all speculation on all our parts. The beauty of speculation is it creates a good mass debate.

No hanging on the cards............start with castration perhaps.

Quote:
Carl

Mike please don't dwell on this. Take one step at a time with a clear head if possible. Get the car repaired first and note everything the dealer/garage says to you then depending on the reasons given for this happening, see how you feel in as far as any further action/lines of enquiry are necessary as to whether the car has been previously damaged etc. It's only just happened and you're naturally wound up and all sorts of scenarios are playing out in your mind.

You've got us lot to sound off to at any time eh.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #77
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

I have just been out and had another look and the arm is definately bending down towards to back of the car Suggesting a tie down strap and the car pulling up out of a dyno ,as the car tries to pull frre the pressure is pushing this arm down I could be wrong but this seems the only answer to me

Sytner would have seen something like this and the car has only been used twice since my remap /dyno .
      10-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #78
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I very much doubt they checked the arms closely with a torch with it on a ramp. Quick visual inspection, may even have not done this.

I dont think strapping to a dyno would do this. I agree its probably walloped a curb at some point.

How many previous owners? try and contact them. Not there fault in all honesty. Things happen. Shame it wasnt replaced though.
1 OWNER before me Carl
      10-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #79
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
hi mikey. Really glad your ok. Like its been said this could of been a lot worse! Your not going to get any sleep tonight with all these ideas going on in your head! See what the dealer has to say in the morning buddy and take it from there. Speculation at this point will only drive you mad! Do you have any idea what garage it came from in scotland?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #80
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I am in shock at those pictures...I bet it felt out of control!! I totally understand why you're fuming; I'd be just the same until I knew why.

Good luck with Soper tomorrow - I hope you get the right answers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #81
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Mike I was refering to a previous owner (wasn`t aware you had it dyno`d recently) I very much doubt Evolve would`ve strapped it down there, plenty of E46`s have bent there arms this way which was why I suggested it but Evolve have dyno`d too many E46/E92`s to make that mistake (IMO).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #82
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
hi mikey. Really glad your ok. Like its been said this could of been a lot worse! Your not going to get any sleep tonight with all these ideas going on in your head! See what the dealer has to say in the morning buddy and take it from there. Speculation at this point will only drive you mad! Do you have any idea what garage it came from in scotland?
The car came from Peter Vardy in Edinborough although I bought it from Sytner in Leicester.

getting tierd now heads spinning just keep thinking tiedown strap, can't help it just can't see anything else causing it ,the car is such a nice example well looked after low miles etc just doesn't add up to me at all.
      10-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #83
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

COmpare it to the other side trailing arm then, they'd have strapped it down in the same place on the other side

Worth a quick inspection before finger pointing ect....

Just a thought

HIH

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #84
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

from what I can see the other side looks ok but it is well dark now , I just don't know how this has happened just have to wait and see if BMW plays ball or not , no doubt they will say driver error and I will end up paying for it to be fixed which is just about right.
      10-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #85
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
its very possible mate but wait and see. I am glad you said peter vardy though as my local dealer had one in. very same as yours and it was on demo. It got hell before it finally sold. thats the problem with letting people borrow powerfull cars and dont know what there doing. But thats not the issue anyway. You will get it repaired and get your new spoiler on and hopefully this bad experience can be put to sleep. Its just fuckin shit though. You bust a nut working to buy nice things for yourself and things like this happen. It will be fine mate
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #86
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If they did that is a very plausible reason for failure. The part is designed to be strong in compression - it is patently NOT designed to take any lateral load (e.g. from a strap around its mid-point). Even fairly light loading laterally could concievably cause this part to bend - this would then weaken it considerably when subjected to its intended "strong in compression" usual design loads.
If you do check the other one, note that only minor bending would be needed to weaken the part. Think of an empty coke can - very strong when being compressed - until you put a tiny dent in the side and it collapses. Same will be true of these arms - only takes a minor deformation (few mm) to start the buckling mode and it would then be much weaker (10-30% of original strength).

The positive side is, if it was due to the dyno (which does sound plausible, especially if the wheels all match making curb damage less likely), then you can have full confidence in the cars design once its repaired.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #87
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
If you do check the other one, note that only minor bending would be needed to weaken the part. Think of an empty coke can - very strong when being compressed - until you put a tiny dent in the side and it collapses. Same will be true of these arms - only takes a minor deformation (few mm) to start the buckling mode and it would then be much weaker (10-30% of original strength).
Thanks for that I will request they check the other arm as a matter of course.
      10-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #88
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
its very possible mate but wait and see. I am glad you said peter vardy though as my local dealer had one in. very same as yours and it was on demo. It got hell before it finally sold. thats the problem with letting people borrow powerfull cars and dont know what there doing. But thats not the issue anyway. You will get it repaired and get your new spoiler on and hopefully this bad experience can be put to sleep. Its just fuckin shit though. You bust a nut working to buy nice things for yourself and things like this happen. It will be fine mate
Thanks Buddy .glad its not the same one you saw but hey who knows what its been through before I bought it , I knew I should of leased a new one that Soper had in, just had the wrong interior.