E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > This is why after I'm done with my 335...I'm moving on up

10-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #67
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
this is cracking me up
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #68
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator335i View Post
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment. And before I make my points I want to certainly agree with the general consensus that we shouldn't judge others based on mere appearances. Now that said, the BMW enthusiast within me finds something deeply wrong about a 335i being used as a pizza delivery car. One, BMW is currently the premier luxury auto maker in the world based on sales.

Owning a BMW is supposed to convey a sense of status upon its owner, like it or not, that's simply a marketing reality. The BMW roundel is a symbol of luxury, performance and, yes, status. That was a $40k-plus car when it was brand new. Unless they're delivering a little blow along with that pie, delivery boys aren't supposed to be driving $40k-plus cars.

Two, the fact that a 335i is being used as a pizza delivery car means that it is now in the same ranks as every generic-looking POS Jap-import car over the past 25 years that you've seen every other pizza delivery boy driving. In other words, 1991 Toyota Corolla is now = 2007 BMW 335i.

Third, just like OP indicated, as someone who drives an E9x, I don't want to be associated with pizza delivery boys. I make a helluva lot more money than a delivery boy does and for us to drive similar vehicles does nothing to separate me from him on the socio-economic ladder.

However, the reality is this: just about any mass-produced vehicle at some point in its lifecycle is going to become available to Joe Public. And I've seen just about every kind of car imaginable used as pizza delivery cars: Mercedes, BMW, C4 Corvettes, every GM make you can name, and almost every Jap car ever built--including 90s Nissan 300ZXs.

The only way you're ever going to be able to avoid seeing your car being used to deliver pizzas is if your car is something that doesn't depreciate to the point that a Uncle Bob, with his bad credit, can't get his hands on one at a Buy-Here, Pay-Here. Sadly, that eliminates almost every BMW ever made with the exception of the newer M-cars. But give them another 5 years or so and they too will wind up on Fast Eddie's Used Car lot.

OP, my suggestion if you want to avoid this embarrassment again is to move on up to something truly rare and truly exotic: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati, etc. Regardless of how old they are, they will always be too rare and too expensive to ever wind up on the lot of Everybody Rides Auto Sales across the street from the local bail bondsman.

Yes, I hate seeing such a great car being used this way, but that's the reality of how saturated the market is with BMWs right now. If you've got a job, chances are you can afford one.
very well put
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #69
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Name:  MB.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  Pic3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  63.6 KB

I guess these are no longer an option for you

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #70
KidSupreme
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i m sport

Ahahahahah Swag!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #71
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannytabloid View Post
Part time delivery driver here. When my '00 TL is in the shop the 335 comes out to play. Totally reasonable that I get to spend my time driving my car I'm paying for, while getting paid for it. I respect the dude. Sucks they make him put the sign on his car, though.

Also, I'm not sure about the $5/hr estimate. Obviously it depends on the economic status of the area you deliver to along with the price level of the store you deliver for, but no driver is taking home less than 10-15/hr. Personally, my hourly plus tips averages between $28-$35/hr before taxes, certainly no pittance.
Backing up my little over $5/hr + tip claim, I inquired about a job at Papa Johns (I'm in high school) and they offered a minimum wage pay of $7.25 (around $5.50 after taxes) + tips. Louisville is a very spread out city so you wouldn't hit many houses per hour too. Not sure about your area, but you also have to factor in that 19 city mpg cost + depreciation in car from so many miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #72
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I remember when the pizza guy that we usually have saw my BMW parked in the garage for the first time. He really liked it, etc. But it got him chatting and I convinced him to go back to school and finish before he bought a BMW, and he did! 5 more semesters and he'll have a Mech E degree.
      10-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #73
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Guys Guys!!! I go away for a few days and I have 60 comments on this one picture I took.

Look, I never meant to degrade anyone in any way about driving a car that looks just like ours but has a pizza sign on top. Like one member said it was meant to be a joke in a semi-innocent way.

The kid was delivering pizza in my neighborhood. I live in an area where high schoolers DO get BMW's for their 16th B-day (used or new). My neighborhood is one of the reasons why I'm selling my exhaust...too loud and too "unclassy"(not my word by the way so don't get all upset guys!). Plus every 16-18 year old in this neighborhood have imports, mustangs, bimmers, camaro, F150's with some sort of suped up exhaust, tires/wheels, etc. Nothing wrong with that. I love it when I drive down the street and bunch of highschool football players are hanging over the hood of a Mustang Boss with supercharger and admiring the engine. That's what I grew up doing. Love that! Unfortunately, I'm not 16 and I don't want to be associated with highschoolers based on what I drive. I also believe life is too short to drive slow...so a few years ago I chose the BMW 3 Series. I went to school to be a doctor, racked up major loan money to go thru school, came out and started my clinics and now I get to reap the rewards of nearly a decade of hard, dedicated school/work. Yes, BMW sold me on the "status". LIfe is better when you have the nicer things as long as you can afford it. I think you all agree with me on this. I love my335 with all of my additions on it. The wheels, former exhaust, OSS, etc. I'm not thinking of trading it in anytime soon. But with depreciation, these E90/92's are more affordable and what once was a $50k plus car is now $19-$25k, you're gonna get some kid who works at Dominoes buying it or his mommy bought it for him for his sweet 16 day. My 335 with all its upgrades will fit in more with the teenagers/college students' cars living in this area than my neighbors' (their parents) 7 series or A8's or escalades. But I'm not going to trade mine in for a boring 7 series or even an M5. I rather pay off my school loan first.

So those who buy Bimmers for the ultimate driving machine and not for the status then great for you. I bought it for BOTH b/c that's what's BMW stands for...it is IT"S culture. You can't deny that.

I don't care what this kid drives...he can drive a Porsche delivering pizza. But to a hard working attorney/doctor/or business owner who has earned every dollar to purchase that beautiful car and now it rides with a pizza sign ontop it does make you chuckle a bit. Not in a offensive way but that things change so quickly in life and what once was a hard fetch car is now affordable for the general population with depreciation. It the law of finance....depriciation will eventually make it afforadable. That's all.

I feel horrible for a guy who held a strong position at work and lost his job to now have to drive his bmw for pizza delivery to make ends meet.

I don't think I was being rude in my comment of the picture. But I will tell you that I am 100% sure I will not buy another non-M 3 series for myself. It's time to move on when I do get tired of my 3. And move on up it is. Cause when your neigbor's 15 year old says "she loves your car!" and can't wait till she turns 16 to get one just like mine....it makes you chuckle again.

Thanks for the platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #74
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh69 View Post

never judge... store manager was probably short staffed and had to run out a delivery.

at least the guy is making a living and paying his own $shit. unlike others that are more privileged.

That's what i was thinking, the manager took the last delivery on his way home and was still representing the sign.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #75
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

At least he is driving a BMW, what exactly are you driving when you took that picture??
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #76
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
At least he is driving a BMW, what exactly are you driving when you took that picture??
Mercedes
Appreciate 0