E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > E90post.com E9x Picture GAME!!!

04-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #7679
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Great challenge, as it gives an advantage to those outside the US, which almost never happens in this game. I will wait for one of the E9X owners outside the US to complete (hopeful that this will happen ).
I can do this, but i can't thing of a challenge to post next.. but i have to do it since you are catching up
      04-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #7680
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
Next Challenge: Sometimes, wealthy luxury car owners don't realize that all gas is not created equal. Literally, gas stations like Circle K, 711, grocery stores, etc, sell gas of a lower quality that other stations, so called "Top Tier" rated gas (http://www.toptiergas.com/). Ask any tech at the dealership, they'll bitch you out and probably void your warranty if they know you've been using shit gasoline.

Find a luxury car owner using lower quality fuel

This is a US centric challenge, so for our overseas friends only the alternative is for you to post a pic of your car using the wrong type of fuel (don't actually fill up, just look like you are going to)
Nice, this one was on my list to do, you beat me to it.. Cross this one off.

I find it funny when people use lower quality. yeah, some cars can run on 87 octane cause that's what they were designed to do. but you figure 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon, 16 gallon tank, $5 (rounded up) more a fill x 4 times a month = $20. $20 x 12 = $245 more a year. Do the Math...

more efficient gas mileage, efficient performance, cleaner burning.. etc.... for only $245 annually (more than low grade).... DUH! what are you really saving people.....

Oh one more thing, people wait at Costco for 30-45 min. just for 20 cents cheaper, you spend that waiting in line.... DUH!!

no offense to anyone... OK I am off my soap box..

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #7681
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Great challenge, as it gives an advantage to those outside the US, which almost never happens in this game. I will wait for one of the E9X owners outside the US to complete (hopeful that this will happen ).
If nobody posts this by tomorrow, my E9X IS GOING TO BE DRINKING SOME DIESELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
      04-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #7682
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d e90

Quote:
Next Challenge: Sometimes, wealthy luxury car owners don't realize that all gas is not created equal. Literally, gas stations like Circle K, 711, grocery stores, etc, sell gas of a lower quality that other stations, so called "Top Tier" rated gas (http://www.toptiergas.com/). Ask any tech at the dealership, they'll bitch you out and probably void your warranty if they know you've been using shit gasoline.

Find a luxury car owner using lower quality fuel

This is a US centric challenge, so for our overseas friends only the alternative is for you to post a pic of your car using the wrong type of fuel (don't actually fill up, just look like you are going to)
If the top tier rated gas doesn't apply to my car (being a diesel), but am not overseas, am I unqualified to complete challenge? :P I guess technically I could fill up at a lower tier station, that pumps diesel, but the top tier rating only applies for gas, not diesel.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #7683
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljlin View Post
If the top tier rated gas doesn't apply to my car (being a diesel), but am not overseas, am I unqualified to complete challenge? :P I guess technically I could fill up at a lower tier station, that pumps diesel, but the top tier rating only applies for gas, not diesel.
Not sure, wouldn't the same difference in additives matter to diesel fuel as well? Interesting thread on the subject: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...vs-diesel.html.

I'm ok opening the secondary challenge to all diesel owners, but I kinda wanted to call somebody out for putting cheap gas in their car...
      04-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #7684
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
diesel or not, the challenge says "find a luxury owner that pumps lower quality fuel". so it doesn't have to be you, just drive around to the lower tier gas stations, take a snap shot of an luxury car pumping gas. unless I am reading the challenge wrong.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #7685
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure, wouldn't the same difference in additives matter to diesel fuel as well? Interesting thread on the subject: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...vs-diesel.html.

I'm ok opening the secondary challenge to all diesel owners, but I kinda wanted to call somebody out for putting cheap gas in their car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
diesel or not, the challenge says "find a luxury owner that pumps lower quality fuel". so it doesn't have to be you, just drive around to the lower tier gas stations, take a snap shot of an luxury car pumping gas. unless I am reading the challenge wrong.
No need to modify challenge. It's worded to point to photographing someone else pumping less quality gas, I just had my mind stuck on taking a photo of myself pumping the gas rather than someone else pumping non-top tier gas. I'll see if I can spot a luxury car at the nearby stations later.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #7686
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
went to the gas station last night but forgot all about the challenge..
      04-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #7687
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This challenge was a good idea but I get why it could be difficult...
      04-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #7688
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
This challenge was a good idea but I get why it could be difficult...
Just been too busy to stalk the local Quickie Mart.....but I know I've seen benzo's roll thru there before. I swear, I saw an M5 fill up at a 7-11 last year too. That woulda been PERFECT!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #7689
DirtyD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi e92 Alpine White

What has stations have the best gas? I usually use shell...

2008328xie92
Alpine WhiteSaddle Brown
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #7690
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I saw a car that would meet the challenge as I passed a station but I was in middle lane and saw the car at the last minute. No safe way for me to change lanes or stop to take a photo since light was green (Infiniti SUV at an Arco.). I'll try looking again today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #7691
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
It all depends on the additives. Shell is typically regarded as the best, but I really like Quiktrip. Chevron is really good as well. Any of the "Top Tier" listed on the website are quality, especially since where I live (Tucson) has really crap gas.
      04-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #7692
F1Senna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
It all depends on the additives. Shell is typically regarded as the best, but I really like Quiktrip. Chevron is really good as well. Any of the "Top Tier" listed on the website are quality, especially since where I live (Tucson) has really crap gas.
You mean the Safeway on broadway doesn't have good gas? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #7693
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
I almost had it. There was an late model Mercedes SUV at an Arco Gas station, but it was parked at the pump but not pumping and no person. So I couldn't warrant the challenge. I think Arco gas is low tier fuel. Anyway ill try again later today.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #7694
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

I still don't understand why nobody has gone to a gas station and photo'd themselves pumping diesel into their non-diesel car. I forgot to do it yesterday, so next time will be after the challenge is over, doh
      04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #7695
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
I forgot to do it today... whoops... I have a good idea for tomorrow if it is not done.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #7696
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I almost had it. There was an late model Mercedes SUV at an Arco Gas station, but it was parked at the pump but not pumping and no person. So I couldn't warrant the challenge. I think Arco gas is low tier fuel. Anyway ill try again later today.
Arco is DEFINITELY not low tier fuel. My father and several friends worked/work in the oil/gas industry. The only reason why Arco and BP have/had cheaper gas is because they own the majority of drilling rights to the Alaskan North Slope/Prudhoe Bay. It was and is the sole reason why they can afford to charge less - their ensuing discovery/production costs were cheaper and they used it to price out most of the competition. BUT, the North Shore has been slowing down and that price advantage will continue to shrink.

Arco has been accused of diluting/cutting their gas with ethanol/alcohol. Quite awhile ago, gas refiners were mandated to include alcohol to reduce emissions. It wasn't a way to pump up profits - it was required. Other companies never got slapped with that accusation and bad press, so they never fessed up or publicized that fact. They had to charge higher pump prices (higher discovery costs per barrel) so it was fine if most of the public didn't already know the truth.

In fact, most chemical engineers and lab techs at "higher quality" refineries will fill their tanks up at the cheapest stations. The only caveat is that they will add in some type of additive/cleanser from a bottle (ie. Chevron Techron). These engineers have to constantly do sample testing from not only their own production, but also their pump competitors (they actually go around and collect samples from other retailers). So there is a reason and knowledge of who/which stations have decent gas - and who charges less.

OK, next to tackle are additives and cleansers. The actual amount of additive per gallon of gas pumped from a retail location is only a trace amount (several drops). If you were to purchase a tank of 'cheaper' gas and then added a 4-10oz bottle of additive, you're gonna get multitudes more cleaning/octane ability. If you do the math, you can find out where you might come ahead (a tank of 'better' gas vs. a tank of 'cheaper' gas and a bottle of reputable additive). I'm too lazy, so I'll just continue to fill up at mostly Chevron (force of habit over the years since my Dad worked at Chevron).

What most consumers are not aware of is that most stations buy from the same refineries. The refineries just follow the instructions on how much and what additives to include. They pump the truck full and send it on its way to make the delivery. So Safeway might have the same gas as Exxon. Costco might be selling Chevron. These are independent retailers, so they will buy 'as needed' or on contract from what the local refineries have/make available. That's how retail works.

The main thing you're looking to accomplish is to keep your injectors clean and free of particulate accumulation. Trace and minute amount of cleansers will do that. 'Cheaper' retail pumps just don't add in or don't add in that much of the additives/cleansers. Chevron makes a tidy profit on their Techron - it works, but it's not a miracle - and that's part of the reason for the price premium. You can 2 things: 1) constantly use a gas with small amounts of additive or 2) occasionally dose a tank of 'cheaper' gas with an entire bottle of additive. They will both accomplish generally the same thing.

The other reason is to pay for the expensive exploration costs for new crude reserves. Virtually all of the easy locations to find crude have been exhausted or are controlled by OPEC nations. That's why there's been so much offshore drilling and pumping in the Gulf of Mexico (relatively close to Texas/LA refineries) and even greater emphasis on Canadian (sand and tar) and North Dakota (fracking). All these methods cost alot and more than traditional pumping of crude from underground wells.

The last thing to add - even with the discount that oil company employees get when using their company-branded cards, some employees continue to fill up at 'lower tier' stations. I think it's kind of a hassle. I also no longer get my dad's discount - he's been retired for some time now. I usually fill at Chevron these days, but will not hesitate to fill up at a 'lower tier' if necessary - it's only a tank here and there.

If you normally eat healthy - a day of splurging on plates of crispy bacon, gallons of ice cream, a block of cheese, a keg of beer, and a super Big Gulp of melted butter won't kill you - I just don't see how you're going to be able finish that all or maintain a clean toilet. But if you subsist on that diet, you'll definitely drastically reduce your life expectancy.

Sorry to go on and on VNeBLOB42. It's just a topic that chaps my hide. Nothing personal - just want the public to be properly informed.

*disclaimer* I don't support oil company interests at large, but they're not entirely to blame. It's actually more political/financial outside of what the companies can control.

-alex

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #7697
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98005xi View Post
Arco is DEFINITELY not low tier fuel. My father and several friends worked/work in the oil/gas industry. The only reason why Arco and BP have/had cheaper gas is because they own the majority of drilling rights to the Alaskan North Slope/Prudhoe Bay. It was and is the sole reason why they can afford to charge less - their ensuing discovery/production costs were cheaper and they used it to price out most of the competition. BUT, the North Shore has been slowing down and that price advantage will continue to shrink.

Arco has been accused of diluting/cutting their gas with ethanol/alcohol. Quite awhile ago, gas refiners were mandated to include alcohol to reduce emissions. It wasn't a way to pump up profits - it was required. Other companies never got slapped with that accusation and bad press, so they never fessed up or publicized that fact. They had to charge higher pump prices (higher discovery costs per barrel) so it was fine if most of the public didn't already know the truth.

In fact, most chemical engineers and lab techs at "higher quality" refineries will fill their tanks up at the cheapest stations. The only caveat is that they will add in some type of additive/cleanser from a bottle (ie. Chevron Techron). These engineers have to constantly do sample testing from not only their own production, but also their pump competitors (they actually go around and collect samples from other retailers). So there is a reason and knowledge of who/which stations have decent gas - and who charges less.

OK, next to tackle are additives and cleansers. The actual amount of additive per gallon of gas pumped from a retail location is only a trace amount (several drops). If you were to purchase a tank of 'cheaper' gas and then added a 4-10oz bottle of additive, you're gonna get multitudes more cleaning/octane ability. If you do the math, you can find out where you might come ahead (a tank of 'better' gas vs. a tank of 'cheaper' gas and a bottle of reputable additive). I'm too lazy, so I'll just continue to fill up at mostly Chevron (force of habit over the years since my Dad worked at Chevron).

What most consumers are not aware of is that most stations buy from the same refineries. The refineries just follow the instructions on how much and what additives to include. They pump the truck full and send it on its way to make the delivery. So Safeway might have the same gas as Exxon. Costco might be selling Chevron. These are independent retailers, so they will buy 'as needed' or on contract from what the local refineries have/make available. That's how retail works.

The main thing you're looking to accomplish is to keep your injectors clean and free of particulate accumulation. Trace and minute amount of cleansers will do that. 'Cheaper' retail pumps just don't add in or don't add in that much of the additives/cleansers. Chevron makes a tidy profit on their Techron - it works, but it's not a miracle - and that's part of the reason for the price premium. You can 2 things: 1) constantly use a gas with small amounts of additive or 2) occasionally dose a tank of 'cheaper' gas with an entire bottle of additive. They will both accomplish generally the same thing.

The other reason is to pay for the expensive exploration costs for new crude reserves. Virtually all of the easy locations to find crude have been exhausted or are controlled by OPEC nations. That's why there's been so much offshore drilling and pumping in the Gulf of Mexico (relatively close to Texas/LA refineries) and even greater emphasis on Canadian (sand and tar) and North Dakota (fracking). All these methods cost alot and more than traditional pumping of crude from underground wells.

The last thing to add - even with the discount that oil company employees get when using their company-branded cards, some employees continue to fill up at 'lower tier' stations. I think it's kind of a hassle. I also no longer get my dad's discount - he's been retired for some time now. I usually fill at Chevron these days, but will not hesitate to fill up at a 'lower tier' if necessary - it's only a tank here and there.

If you normally eat healthy - a day of splurging on plates of crispy bacon, gallons of ice cream, a block of cheese, a keg of beer, and a super Big Gulp of melted butter won't kill you - I just don't see how you're going to be able finish that all or maintain a clean toilet. But if you subsist on that diet, you'll definitely drastically reduce your life expectancy.

Sorry to go on and on VNeBLOB42. It's just a topic that chaps my hide. Nothing personal - just want the public to be properly informed.

*disclaimer* I don't support oil company interests at large, but they're not entirely to blame. It's actually more political/financial outside of what the companies can control.

-alex
A simple yes Arco is good gas but not much additives.

But for real... good info. I admit it was ignorant of me to assume.

But its tough anymore these day to really get the truth of anything unless you've been there done that, or trust your resource.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7698
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Arco is DEFINITELY not low tier fuel. My father and several friends worked/work in the oil/gas industry.

-alex

Kewl info - thanks.
      04-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #7699
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep

OK, wtf everyone? Did I just kill the mood or something? How come no one did this challenge? I've just been busy. No one???

Quote:
A simple yes Arco is good gas but not much additives.

But for real... good info. I admit it was ignorant of me to assume.

But its tough anymore these day to really get the truth of anything unless you've been there done that, or trust your resource.
My bad bro. I AM long-winded and very detailed-orientated. My wife tells me ALL THE TIME. Again, my bad. =)

Quote:

Kewl info - thanks.
Just trying to straighten up the facts bro. thanks. (sheepish grin)

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #7700
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
OK, wtf everyone? Did I just kill the mood or something? How come no one did this challenge? I've just been busy. No one???

My bad bro. I AM long-winded and very detailed-orientated. My wife tells me ALL THE TIME. Again, my bad. =)

Just trying to straighten up the facts bro. thanks. (sheepish grin)
You mean sesquipedalian.