E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrade Hi-Fi to HK (premium sound package) level?

01-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
bluewind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, F10 535i

Upgrade Hi-Fi to HK (premium sound package) level?

I've always had premium sound options on my cars, but couldn't do so with my latest purchase of a 2013 E92.

While Hi-Fi is better than I expected, but still very disappointing (very bland though with high clarity) compared to the HK systems that I've been used to.

Since this car is a lease, I don't want to spend a ton of money even if the system is totally removable because it will be very difficult to sell it separately after 3 years.

My goal is to take hi-fi to at least on par with HK.

What is the best route here? BSW stage 1? Musicar stage 1? Or just an amp upgrade will suffice? Or does it take Musicar stage 2 or above?

I've read all the stickies and other threads, but couldn't find any direct comparison between those upgrade to the stock HK system.

Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

L7 is surround sound it that what you want?

Musicar Level 2 System has plenty of sound quality and depth
Level 1 is 10 times better than Hi Fi . But they are not surround sound.
They are one of the easiest way's to get a significant total upgrade.
The BSW approach is just a better speaker patch so far,which works best
for and L7 as the amp has a little power.
The standard fix for the Hi Fi system is a Jl 600/6 and better speakers.
for at least the front doors and floors.
Its hard to compare these when you can't here them side by side.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=759664&page=2

Reason's for the XD
Its a quality mid range priced amp.
It has the exact number of channels to match Hi Fi(xd 600/6)
It fits in the same area as the OEM Hi Fi amp
It has the right kind of Inputs to be compatible with the
Hi Fi Head Unit . (balanced differential inputs)
If you get good speakers with just the amp its pretty awesome.
If you like old style stereo with Morels and Jehnerts this is
an audiophile level system.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-16-2013 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewind View Post
I've always had premium sound options on my cars, but couldn't do so with my latest purchase of a 2013 E92.

While Hi-Fi is better than I expected, but still very disappointing (very bland though with high clarity) compared to the HK systems that I've been used to.

Since this car is a lease, I don't want to spend a ton of money even if the system is totally removable because it will be very difficult to sell it separately after 3 years.

My goal is to take hi-fi to at least on par with HK.

What is the best route here? BSW stage 1? Musicar stage 1? Or just an amp upgrade will suffice? Or does it take Musicar stage 2 or above?

I've read all the stickies and other threads, but couldn't find any direct comparison between those upgrade to the stock HK system.

Thanks for any advice!
Because your car is a lease I would suggest a full PnP upgrade that you can unplug and sell at lease turn in, while giving you the Logic7 that you are looking for:

- BSW front speakers
- DLS 224 center speaker
- JBL MS-8
- HiFi to MS-8 PnP harness

Leave the OEM woofers and rear OEM speakers in place. Replace OEM HiFi amp with the MS-8.

That would be the closest that you can get to an OEM HK retrofit for less cost and much better sound.

One thing about the MS-8: it could induce Bluetooth echo at the callers end, and it may fail. The Bluetooth echo can be managed by tuning/calibration. The failures have been greatly reduced since introduction 2-years ago -but it is strongly recommended to get it with factory warranty. JBL responds quite quickly and efficiently to warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
bluewind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thank you so much, guys!

just to clarify my understanding...

JL600 is a better amp than the stock. and MS-8 is an amp with DSP. Which one is a better option? Any difference in terms of difficulty of installation?

My goal is to get on par with HK in terms of sound quality not necessarily of surround support.

Technic - does your suggested setup sound better than HK?

Amp itself seems to be running $500-$700 so obviously this aftermarket option isn't as effective as the HK option cost of $950 :-( oh well!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

FYI

MS-8 is a 8 channel sound processor from JBL it has logic 7 a better logic 7
than what the HK has to my understanding its self adjusting also . It only has head unit power on those channels though 18 watts rms at 4 ohms. I haven't actually heard one so Technic can steer you better than I can.
The thing about it is most people that get an MS-8 end up putting an amp with some actual power on at least the front doors and underseat speakers and adding a center speaker to make work the way it should. If you add an amp you should upgrade the speakers because the stock speaker are not meant to handle a lot of power and are kind of cheap and cheap sounding.

So it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you like or can live with or think is good. _

It takes around 1k to 2k to upgrade but it will be way better than any of the stock systems.
Technic is an expert and has suggested many configurations with a budget in mind.

If you look at this thread you can see many of the systems in the thread are his.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

look in the Hi Fi entry for reference systems
the other ones also have good info.

Were in Cali are you located?

Last edited by ctuna; 01-16-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
bluewind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks much ctuna!

I am in the sf bay area.

If the suggested setup goes up to 1-2k then I wonder if it is just better off with musicar package setup?

I've read the given thread so many times by now but wasn't able to figure out how each option sounds compared to HK :-) obviously better than hifi but better than HK? based in what you said ms8 sounds better than HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have a level 2 MusicarNW system in my wagon.

I have a level 2 MusicarNW system in my wagon.
If you want to come by and have a listen that's OK but I am in Santa Cruz.
I have an xd600/6 with Morel Dotechs and Jehnert underfloors.
PM me if you wish to do this.
If you read my installation procedure I make some comments about the
way it sounds at various stages of installation .

the procedure is in
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323
in the Hi Fi section.

The musicarNW packages are in that range .
You can do it cheaper but you have to do a lot
of work to gather and integrate the pieces and I don't know it that ends up costing you that much
less anyway.

When I was checking out what to do I ran across a guy that had a level 1 system essentially and he had a L7 system in his previous car and he commented to me that the level 1 system he had sounded better than L7. (diamond audio door speakers SWS8 floors and a xd600/6.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-16-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewind View Post
thank you so much, guys!

just to clarify my understanding...

JL600 is a better amp than the stock. and MS-8 is an amp with DSP. Which one is a better option? Any difference in terms of difficulty of installation?

My goal is to get on par with HK in terms of sound quality not necessarily of surround support.

Technic - does your suggested setup sound better than HK?

Amp itself seems to be running $500-$700 so obviously this aftermarket option isn't as effective as the HK option cost of $950 :-( oh well!
The MS-8 does sound better than the OEM Logic7, even with OEM speakers IMO. That's the only aftermarket Logic7 in town.

If you are looking for a less expensive HiFi upgrade you can get a XD600/6 and the front BSW component set. That should be less than $700 including the HiFi harness. No surround, no Logic7.

If you liked the HK system with the Logic7 disabled then you can easily replicate that with the HiFi and a non-surround/Logic7 setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The MS-8 does sound better than the OEM Logic7, even with OEM speakers IMO. That's the only aftermarket Logic7 in town.
+1

IF you want a decent processed sound, then MS-8 ---> drivers would do the job. It will be SQ system. (or + amp for SQ without compromising SPL).

If you want just a stereo system and preference is SPL, then go for 600/6 route.