E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST V1 Rear Coils on Max Drop - Pics Included!

07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pre LCI E90 325i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Be thankful you're at least tucked. I'm maxed out on my KW V3's and the ride height is not nearly as low as I'd like. I'm prob gonna take the perches off when I get the chance. I'm barely halfway on the fronts.

That's odd, the V3s should be able to tuck fairly well. Are you sure the installation was done properly? I've seen a lot of members with V2s and V3s pulling off a great drop, especially on e92s.

I think the drop on the KWs should be similar to the STs though but for some reason it seems like the KWs can pull off a lower drop. I'd definitely look in to the installation to double check if anything is out of place.

The drop in your pic definitely looks lower than mine though
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Be thankful you're at least tucked. I'm maxed out on my KW V3's and the ride height is not nearly as low as I'd like. I'm prob gonna take the perches off when I get the chance. I'm barely halfway on the fronts.

I'm that low with my ST V1's and I have *plenty* of room to go lower. Odd since they are basically KW V1's.

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
I dont know if this is true or not but the V3 uses progressive springs as opposed to linear springs on V1/V2's so they don't compress as much.

I'm definitely going to double-check the install.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I dont know if this is true or not but the V3 uses progressive springs as opposed to linear springs on V1/V2's so they don't compress as much.

No clue on that one. I know for sure that my fronts as is has plenty of room to go lower. Keep us posted!

Just an update:

I just torqued my strut nuts and no luck, they were all torqued to spec already.

Another thing I've just added to the the thread:

I was curious if it's absolutely necessary to have the stock shock mount. Would it make a difference in height if I removed it?

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #27
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
I'm that low with my ST V1's and I have *plenty* of room to go lower. Odd since they are basically KW V1's.
The spring rates have a big impact. There are as far as I know 2 rates of springs on the rear of all E90/91/92/93 from KW, Weitec and ST Coilovers. 2012 is a softer spring, mostly on E90s. The 91/92/93 have firmer springs 2017. It will be printed on the spring.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
JonCo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I have the exact same "issue" I have little over 1 finger gap still at the lowest setting. Fronts tucked in very nice but the rear sits high...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #29
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsng
Quote:

No clue on that one. I know for sure that my fronts as is has plenty of room to go lower. Keep us posted!

Just an update:

I just torqued my strut nuts and no luck, they were all torqued to spec already.

I was curious if it's absolutely necessary to have the stock shock mount. Would it make a difference in height if I removed it?

Remove it, that is probably why your car has been sitting so high compared to other cars with the same set up. It does make a pretty big difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #30
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashanchi View Post
Remove it, that is probably why your car has been sitting so high compared to other cars with the same set up. It does make a pretty big difference.
Pretty sure the metal washer (removed from the old bumpstop) and the little rubber piece with the hat are supposed to be there
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I guess every system is different. I installed my TC Klines last week and u can slam it to the ground. They didn't even settle yet. And I have xi. Which has a higher suspension setup. Of course I didn't slam it that much :-)
      07-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsng View Post

Just an update:

Removing this piece will make NO difference in ride height. Your ride height is always dictated by the spring. OP, did you try taking out the rubber spring pad? We do this whenever we install our coilover kit....and, no, it will not make any noise if you just have the spring up against the spring arm. This is how we have our springs installed on our E9X M3 in our sig below...no noise.

Your car should typically be 'settled' after the first time you drive it around the block. The only a reason some of you may be getting different ride heights from the time you install, to after a few days, is you have have a high pressure gas shock or the spring is compressing and not returning to its original height (it shouldn't do that).

So I am not sure what 'settling' is, because the car should be settled and at its proper ride height the moment you start driving the car.

Remember: Springs dictate ride height and shocks just control the spring motion and movement of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
Removing this piece will make NO difference in ride height. Your ride height is always dictated by the spring. OP, did you try taking out the rubber spring pad? We do this whenever we install our coilover kit....and, no, it will not make any noise if you just have the spring up against the spring arm. This is how we have our springs installed on our E9X M3 in our sig below...no noise.

Your car should typically be 'settled' after the first time you drive it around the block. The only a reason some of you may be getting different ride heights from the time you install, to after a few days, is you have have a high pressure gas shock or the spring is compressing and not returning to its original height (it shouldn't do that).

So I am not sure what 'settling' is, because the car should be settled and at its proper ride height the moment you start driving the car.

Remember: Springs dictate ride height and shocks just control the spring motion and movement of the car.
When you refer to the rubber spring pad, are you talking about the piece that sits between the bottom of the spring and the control arm (don't know what the bottom piece is called)?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

I took mine out and the car dropped....
here's a picture of what it looks like now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you refer to the rubber spring pad, are you talking about the piece that sits between the bottom of the spring and the control arm (don't know what the bottom piece is called)?
Yes, they look like this. Taking away these spring pads also help the shock perform better, as forces are not absorbed by the rubber pads.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, they look like this. Taking away these spring pads also help the shock perform better, as forces are not absorbed by the rubber pads.

Thank you I didn't know that these pieces weren't necessary. I'll remove them when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you I didn't know that these pieces weren't necessary. I'll remove them when I get the chance.
Anytime, hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anytime, hope it helps
Thanks for the tip. How much of a ride height difference is that going to make? Could I use a strut spring compressor tool to remove the spring or would I have to disassemble the control arm to release the spring? The control arm bolt was such a pain to line back up I'd do anything to avoid releasing it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #39
WRC12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #40
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsng View Post
Thanks for the tip. How much of a ride height difference is that going to make? Could I use a strut spring compressor tool to remove the spring or would I have to disassemble the control arm to release the spring? The control arm bolt was such a pain to line back up I'd do anything to avoid releasing it again.
Not sure of the difference...probably whatever the thickness of those pads are. Essentially, you could probably just use a spring compressor tool to compress and pull the pads out, but you would have to try and see. We have never used that method before.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #41
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure of the difference...probably whatever the thickness of those pads are. Essentially, you could probably just use a spring compressor tool to compress and pull the pads out, but you would have to try and see. We have never used that method before.
I'm thinking I might be able to release the spring by stepping down hard on the hub when the car is jacked and pulling out the spring
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #42
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I have ST V1 Coilovers. Apparentely UPS lost one of my rear adjustment perch.
What does the rear adjustment perch do? And is it necessary?
Anybody know how I can get a hold of another?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
metalmind1
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

With good coils you shouldn't have to wait weeks for the springs to settle. If that is the case though, that is a sure sign of a really crappy spring made out of some crappy steel. I'll tell you this, if a spring settles on a race car that means it has taken a crap and is no longer the rate that it was originally produced at. Food for thought!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #44
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmind1 View Post
With good coils you shouldn't have to wait weeks for the springs to settle. If that is the case though, that is a sure sign of a really crappy spring made out of some crappy steel. I'll tell you this, if a spring settles on a race car that means it has taken a crap and is no longer the rate that it was originally produced at. Food for thought!
Agreed
Appreciate 0