E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > How much would you pay for a E92 323?

02-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #23
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'd never trade in a car. You'll never get a price that is comparable to what you can sell a car for privately - you basically pay lots of money for the convenience of not having to sell privately.

And it doesn't matter if you buy a new car, drive it off the lot, round the block then back into the dealer and ask to do a trade in, that short trip will have cost you a fortune! As soon as a car goes out of the showroom (especially a BMW), you'll loose thousands as it becomes a 2nd hand vehicle with one owner.

And a good point was made earlier - they will entice you with a "good deal" on the new car but give you a lousy trade in. Either way, the dealers are in it to make their sales targets and if they can't make their sales targets, they ain't going to sell it to you!

I've chatted with a few dealers over the years and they seem to be at their most vunerable on pick up day, so you use that time to find out little snippets of sales information (like targets, quotas etc.)

To test my theory, I was asking to trade in my 320 for a used 130 - the dealer was happy until I turned his trade in offer down (WAY off what I wanted). He then looked visibly angry/upset. I said I still will buy the 130 - much to my surprise at the time, he didn't perk up as he just lost a massive chunk of profit. 3 hrs of negotiations later I got the 130 for the redbook price (comparable to someone I contacted who sold one privately) so I know I got a good deal, especially for a dealer sale. They had a very bad attitude because they made little off me as the car was an ex-demo so they hadn't even got it as a trade-in LOL
Appreciate 0