E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sirius antenna to sharkfin.. minor details

03-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
Fresh330
It is what it is
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I cannot find the Sharkfin connector ANYWHERE in the trunk!?!?

I even took out the existing module and looked all around it thinking maybe it got tucked underneath it or something, and nothing. I looked on the left side of the trunk too where the CD Changer would go, unwrapped a couple bundles and nothing. Am I missing something?
It's possible your car is not "sirius prepped." I'm assuming you have an '06 330i. Some cars were not Sirius ready which means the car is prewired with an antenna. Check your window sticker (if you still have it) or call a dealership and have them run your VIN. They'll be able to tell you what options you have installed.

Otherwise, look for a pink connector! Many said their connection was pink but mine was actually gray.
      05-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
ellisz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just wanted to post that I used the information here it install my Stiletto 2. I used the bracketron mount and ordered the extension cable mentioned in the thread. The install turned out pretty good. Only issue I have is the mount is directly under the cup holder so I have to tilt the radio a bit. I do worry about it getting in the way of the passenger's leg but it has worked out good so far. I might try and bend the bracket just a little to get the cup holder to clear the top of the radio. This would not be an issue on most of the other plug and play radios.

Thanks for all the great help!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
alexp318
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababooey View Post
I cannot find the Sharkfin connector ANYWHERE in the trunk!?!?

I even took out the existing module and looked all around it thinking maybe it got tucked underneath it or something, and nothing. I looked on the left side of the trunk too where the CD Changer would go, unwrapped a couple bundles and nothing. Am I missing something?

TIA

any luck finding the sirius connector??? im in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #26
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

No, I never figured it out...I wound up just throwing the stock sirius antenna on the far left (drivers side) of the dashboard and concealed the wires pretty good. You can barely notice it's there and I actually get a good signal.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I believe after 2010, cars stopped coming pre-wired for sirius. So if you've got a 2011, without the prewire option, you wont have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #28
alexp318
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I believe after 2010, cars stopped coming pre-wired for sirius. So if you've got a 2011, without the prewire option, you wont have it.
so the only i option i have for using a sirius dock and play radio is to use the standard antenna the radio comes with?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #29
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp318 View Post
so the only i option i have for using a sirius dock and play radio is to use the standard antenna the radio comes with?
Yeah. If you were pre-wired you could use the shark fin or get an actual module. Without the pre-wire you're stuck with the docks original antenna.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #30
alexp318
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I never figured it out...I wound up just throwing the stock sirius antenna on the far left (drivers side) of the dashboard and concealed the wires pretty good. You can barely notice it's there and I actually get a good signal.
where did you dock your radio? did you conceal the wires by taking off the interior console?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

I actually just have it in my middle console. I bought the sunglass holder to replace the the ashtray but just haven't had the time to do the integration. Kind of waiting on Howard to make his decision b/c if he doesn't resign I'm cancelling my membership and will just take the sirius out of the car altogether.

But if you plan on keeping it I would suggest doing the sunglass holder option, with a small orange display and you can conceal it by shutting the lid.

Let us know what you decide!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #32
alexp318
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually just have it in my middle console. I bought the sunglass holder to replace the the ashtray but just haven't had the time to do the integration. Kind of waiting on Howard to make his decision b/c if he doesn't resign I'm cancelling my membership and will just take the sirius out of the car altogether.

But if you plan on keeping it I would suggest doing the sunglass holder option, with a small orange display and you can conceal it by shutting the lid.

Let us know what you decide!
Yea. I was thinking the same thing. I will wait to drill holes into my sunglass holder till Howard decides what hes going to do. But sounds like he might be done over at Sirius.
Things I'll to do to my car to listen to Howard!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
uvapops
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible

Starmate 8 and Sharkfin on 2009 328i Convertible

I purchased the recommended antenna cable from cdint.com, found the pink connector on the left side of the trunk, connected, and got an antenna connection error "check antenna connection" on the Starmate 8. Am i missing something? Fuse? Or does it sound like there is a problem with the pre-wiring?Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0