E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tial BOV won't open (RESOLVED)

12-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Question Tial BOV won't open (RESOLVED)

I've finally installed my VRSF CP and Tial BOV, however I am not seeing the BOV open at all when throttle released test at approx 3.5 ~4k RPM and all I hear is the turbo flutter and a PST air coming out but it's not from the BOV... Hmmmmm....

I have re-checked the vacuum line from the manifold to the BOV and it's secure and connected well. This is running a stock map / stock boost.
COBB AP shows -9PSI idle, -11~12 PSI prior to releasing throttle.

There was no vacuum line supplied with the kit so I sourced a FlexTech USA 4mm Hose from a local shop.
The connection on the manifold is very snug, but I have also secured it with an additional zip tie for extra grip behind the nipple.
The Tial BOV nipple/connector (internal opening) is pointing towards the entry for the vacuum line, so this isn't an issue.

COBB not showing any codes related. Shouldn't the BOV open at stock boost?
No idea what spring was included with the BOV as it came pre-assembled (will need to remove and check).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by =C=; 12-25-2015 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by =C=
I've finally installed my VRSF CP and Tial BOV, however I am not seeing the BOV open at all when throttle released test at approx 3.5 ~4k RPM and all I hear is the turbo flutter and a PST air coming out but it's not from the BOV... Hmmmmm....

I have re-checked the vacuum line from the manifold to the BOV and it's secure and connected well. This is running a stock map / stock boost.
COBB AP shows -9PSI idle, -11~12 PSI prior to releasing throttle.

There was no vacuum line supplied with the kit so I sourced a FlexTech USA 4mm Hose from a local shop.
The connection on the manifold is very snug, but I have also secured it with an additional zip tie for extra grip behind the nipple.
The Tial BOV nipple/connector (internal opening) is pointing towards the entry for the vacuum line, so this isn't an issue.

COBB not showing any codes related. Shouldn't the BOV open at stock boost?
No idea what spring was included with the BOV as it came pre-assembled (will need to remove and check).

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Your car will not build boost in neutral... Try diving the car in second gear and build the rpm's up to around 4K and releasing the gas pedal.
      12-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

After disassembling the BOV, it's using the 11 PSI spring (yellow), I found the piston didn't even move by hand. Wiggled it around to try and get it loose and bingo! Put it back together and BOV open after releasing the throttle at 3.5k blip. Success!

With the new tune (Cobb Stg1 ST Aggressive) here's a quick data log with just cruising.

http://www.datazap.me/u/vsashav/2512...&solo=3&hg=3-1

Didn't hit more than 4.5~5k rpm, however will do a proper WOT 3rd gear at some point.

Can slightly hear the BOV, which is great as I didn't want it loud, but hopefully from the log I can find out the BOV position? I did order the 10 PSI spring just in case.

I didn't hear any turbo flatter/surge, which is good but I will find out the real test on 3rd gear WOT.

The VRSF DP's are going on soon and I've got the BMS OCC and RB PCV on the way

Still deciding on DCI (as the old argument goes) I don't want hot air from the engine bay. This is a daily driver and it will be sitting in traffic a lot of the time so there is no magical dyno blower to blow cold air at the front of the car as most dyno's will have on which the DCI benefits
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Glad you got it working. The Tial's sometimes, especially if sitting on the shelf a while can require a little effort to free the piston.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

My Tial BOV was also a little sticky when I first installed it. My Indy had to disassemble it, clean it and put a small amount of engine oil on it. It's been working flawlessly ever since.
One thing to note is that this BOV is very quiet. I was doubting my Indy even after he cleaned it because it was so quiet. He had to open the hood and rev to visually show me that the valve was indeed going up and down and blowing off air.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

I dont like tial at all...so many post of issues with their products. Turbosmart all day. Glad you fixed it though.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing View Post
I dont like tial at all...so many post of issues with their products. Turbosmart all day. Glad you fixed it though.
I will be running their wastegates and bov soon
Appreciate 0