E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Correct brakes for my car

08-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Not got a local one as yet. The one in Aberdeen is opening soon.

Went for a drive past and the building is nowhere near ready.

The next one is 100 miles away so little point spending a few hours and 200 miles of fuel to return brake pads.

I will photocopy my receipt, no idea why they need this as they know what I've ordered, print off photos and return request sheet.

Sometimes mail order can be a pain.
Noticed when I ordered mine that there was multiple pads available even though i entered my reg No. The difference in pads was in engine N53 as apposed to N52n. Would have thought that reg would have been enough to identify correct pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #24
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I recently bought and fitted the same pads as shown in your picture - the retaining clip isn't important as far as i can see.

The only clip i can see that is important is the one that fits into the piston and even then, plenty of cars don't have them.

I have Pagid pads front and back now and i have no problem with them and no brake squeal at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
Mikael.Aribo
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
I recently bought and fitted the same pads as shown in your picture - the retaining clip isn't important as far as i can see.

The only clip i can see that is important is the one that fits into the piston and even then, plenty of cars don't have them.

I have Pagid pads front and back now and i have no problem with them and no brake squeal at all.
Brake squeal has less to do with which pads you choose, Instead it is more often than not, that the Copper grease used to lubricate the the sliding action between the disc and pads. intially all will be fine, then after a while the squeal will come back.

The solution is using a High Quality Lithium based grease about £5 a tub.

Also Copper grease makes rubber perish.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post

It isn't the squeal I was worried about. There is a certain amount of float/play between the pad and the caliper.

I'm sure over bumps you would hear it rattle in the caliper slightly.

The other pad did have retaining clips for going into the piston.

The BMW pads have the clip that the Pagid pads are missing as does all the other options at the local factors.

The pads even have the rivet in place for something to be there.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

I'm reasonably sure the clip on the back of the brake pad is not important, as it would be included on all brake pads. I think the clip on the brake pad is just to make sure everything is lined up and to aid you when replacing the pads because it holds them in place. I can't say I have any rattles from mine at all and I have the Pagid's fitting all around.

And yes, don't use copper grease like I did, use silicon stuff or stuff listed above
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #28
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

I'm reasonably sure the clip on the back of the brake pad is not important, as it would be included on all brake pads. I think the clip on the brake pad is just to make sure everything is lined up and to aid you when replacing the pads because it holds them in place. I can't say I have any rattles from mine at all and I have the Pagid's fitting all around.

And yes, don't use copper grease like I did, use silicon stuff or stuff listed above
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Kerr, do you know if the £40 ones (front brake pads) have the retaining clips. Need some urgently and also stuck on whether to get the £70 or £40 ones!! Mines a 2006 335d coupe.

Ta.
      10-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #30
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Kerr, do you know if the £40 ones (front brake pads) have the retaining clips. Need some urgently and also stuck on whether to get the £70 or £40 ones!! Mines a 2006 335d coupe.

Ta.
I don't think the cheaper ones are the correct part at all.

The dimensions were different from memory.

I'm sure someone pointed out that 335/330 both use the same rear brakes and when searching for 335 front brakes, it also shows up 330 front brakes which aren't the same.

Give them a call. They seem to have the facts at hand when you call.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #31
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
The difference in pads was in engine N53 as apposed to N52n. Would have thought that reg would have been enough to identify correct pads.
Not sure how that would work as the registration data base these people use is only down to basic model number.

Best not to trust the treg plate input, thats meant for people who don't know what car they drive.

Just go through the model variant input drop downs to be sure its correct.

Also remember 330i/d post 2010 DO have the same front brakes as 335i/d.

This further confuses these online parts lists.
Appreciate 0