E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Buying Landrover privately???

09-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M Sport

Buying Landrover privately???

Seen this car for my wife, http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ther?logcode=p

Seems like a good deal to me, there is nothing auto and leather around and is keenly priced, anything similar spec from a LR dealer is 2.5-3k more, that seems a bit steep for more or less a years warranty!

Just worried as I have only ever bought used or privately once before as I have always had new company cars.

What do you guys think? What are my options when the LR warrantee run out?? As I've heard a problem with one of these can be costly!

Last edited by deano802; 09-18-2010 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Link doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
There will be negotiation in the dealers price so don't dismiss them out right. I got £500 off, plus free tow bar and electrics (£500), a body work repair, 1 years warranty and roadside assistance, LR service and a years RFL (£450 ish) when I purchased a Discovery 3 XS auto for my wife last weekend. He also gave us a very healthy discount on the rear tints.

Like you I wanted leather but would have had to go for an HSE over the XS but they cost 35% more so not worth it for leather and xenons as ours was already specified with sat nav, convenience pack and hi end stereo. The dealer could get leather fitted to 5 seats for £900.
Attached Images

Last edited by jwbmw; 09-18-2010 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Pictures Added
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Link doesn't work.
Link working now!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
There will be negotiation in the dealers price so don't dismiss them out right. I got £500 off, plus free tow bar and electrics (£500), a body work repair, 1 years warranty and roadside assistance, LR service and a years RFL (£450 ish) when I purchased a Discovery 3 XS auto for my wife last weekend. He also gave us a very healthy discount on the rear tints.

Like you I wanted leather but would have had to go for an HSE over the XS but they cost 35% more so not worth it for leather and xenons as ours was already specified with sat nav, convenience pack and hi end stereo. The dealer could get leather fitted to 5 seats for £900.

Thats why I like this deal, its a GS which is a lot cheaper than the supposedly higher spec models, but has leather, climate control, privacy glass as extras, just doesn“t exist on the approved used stock!!!

Anything with leather on the approved used starts at 22ish but i could pick this up for 18 with 6 months left on the warranty and 20k miles.

The only worry for me is after the warranty runs out but I think for my initial saving its worth the risk.

PS nice pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
FWIW my other half has been into Landies for years and gets Land Rover owner international mag every month which is supposed to be the 'bible' on all things LR.

In his opinion that price for the age and spec. is about right tbh and he says that TD4 engine is pretty bullet proof and the best engine to buy.

The ad says the Landy has FLRSH so why not enquire with LR about extended warranties? No harm in asking.

Looks nice imo.

Btw, my mate at work recently bought her 2nd Freelander, she loves them and her 2001 model never let her down.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
FWIW my other half has been into Landies for years and gets Land Rover owner international mag every month which is supposed to be the 'bible' on all things LR.

In his opinion that price for the age and spec. is about right tbh and he says that TD4 engine is pretty bullet proof and the best engine to buy.

The ad says the Landy has FLRSH so why not enquire with LR about extended warranties? No harm in asking.

Looks nice imo.

Btw, my mate at work recently bought her 2nd Freelander, she loves them and her 2001 model never let her down.
Thanks for the help, we“re going to go look at it tomorrow and if everything looks good we will probably go for it!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
So then, what happened re. the Landy?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
She was very lucky then!! Freelander (In my experience) has been a very problematic motor car!
      09-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
She was very lucky then!! Freelander (In my experience) has been a very problematic motor car!
I know Dave, the older ones had a 'reputation' (especially the petrols) but word is the Freelander II is fine. She had one problem in all the years she had the earlier model........fuel pump went, apart from that just regular servicing at a local indie she knows of.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #11
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So then, what happened re. the Landy?
Sorry, been up north for a couple of days!

Nothing happened because the advert described the car as "mint condition" and it was not mint. Why do people do that!! its a pain in the arse! Watford to Reading and back at 9am on a Sunday morning with 4 hours sleep and a stinking hangover!!!!!

Also in the meantime my wife has decided that the Freelander 2 is a bit too "rugged" for her, which i probably agree seeing as we have absolutly no intention of ever going offroad!!

So now we are looking at an X3 and are going to go down the AUC dealer route as we are prepared to pay the premium to have the dealer backup!

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_d...PE12080WA53545

Its certainly not cheap or a blinding deal but seems to be the right money with a £1000 discount, and my wife loves it!

I've never driven one but from what I've read it's good this has the M-sport suspension deletion.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Well the combination of 18 inch alloys and plus the M Sport Suspension Deletion will make it ride like a dream. Think you'll be well chuffed with it mate. We love ours (except for the hard ride on M Sport with 19s!!!!).

Used X3s (i.e. after the initial hit) seem to hold their value pretty well. Time will tell though as the new X3 is out very soon; I just hope the wife doesn't spot one anytime soon.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Well the combination of 18 inch alloys and plus the M Sport Suspension Deletion will make it ride like a dream. Think you'll be well chuffed with it mate. We love ours (except for the hard ride on M Sport with 19s!!!!).

Used X3s (i.e. after the initial hit) seem to hold their value pretty well. Time will tell though as the new X3 is out very soon; I just hope the wife doesn't spot one anytime soon.
Thanks Roger,

Just read that the newer facelifted models which this one is got improved suspension settings, could that make the ride too soft and too much body roll on the se suspension?

I think the used X3's will still hold well for another 2-3 years as its gonna take quite a while for all the new M-sports to come through.
The dealer actuallly just phoned me and offered me another years warrantee so 1k off the list price plus 2 years warrantee, think we might do it!

How is yours in the snow?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

If you don't mind a little extra fuel consumption the 3.0d X3 is a peach, much nicer engine than the 2.0d and not generally all that much more expensive to buy. Had one before my X5 and it was great motor, it was an M Sport on 19s and ride was fine, i knew it would be firm and wanted firm so was happy enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano802 View Post
The dealer actuallly just phoned me and offered me another years warrantee so 1k off the list price plus 2 years warrantee, think we might do it!

How is yours in the snow?
Another years warranty, now that is interesting. Dealers did this a few months ago but only for a month of so. I asked a dealer the other day about whether this could still be available on AUC cars but they said it wasn't. Maybe some dealers are happy to pay the cost themselves to bag a deal.

Not used ours in the snow yet, it arrived just as the snow melted last year, I'm not expecting great things to be honest (as long as it's better than my E90 was at the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Had one before my X5 and it was great motor, it was an M Sport on 19s and ride was fine, i knew it would be firm and wanted firm so was happy enough.
Strange, some people are happy with it, but it really grates me (and I'm used to firm suspension). Maybe different tyre brands are making the difference in some cases.

The 3.0d is a great engine but a bit thirsty on juice I thought - ours does about 26-28mpg on average (tootling about 99% of the time). Would have liked to have seen better but ours is a pre-ED car; things improved on post-ED cars.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #16
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Another years warranty, now that is interesting. Dealers did this a few months ago but only for a month of so. I asked a dealer the other day about whether this could still be available on AUC cars but they said it wasn't. Maybe some dealers are happy to pay the cost themselves to bag a deal.

Not used ours in the snow yet, it arrived just as the snow melted last year, I'm not expecting great things to be honest (as long as it's better than my E90 was at the time).

Strange, some people are happy with it, but it really grates me (and I'm used to firm suspension). Maybe different tyre brands are making the difference in some cases.

The 3.0d is a great engine but a bit thirsty on juice I thought - ours does about 26-28mpg on average (tootling about 99% of the time). Would have liked to have seen better but ours is a pre-ED car; things improved on post-ED cars.

They offered it to me without asking because they have to cancel my test drive tonight due to someone putting it onto the top floor of the showroom for an event and it now cant get out untill Monday! So I'll take it!!!

Note about ride, on my e92 m sport with 19's the ride is perfect, this is due to having the new 3rd gen rft's.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #17
deano802
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
If you don't mind a little extra fuel consumption the 3.0d X3 is a peach, much nicer engine than the 2.0d and not generally all that much more expensive to buy. Had one before my X5 and it was great motor, it was an M Sport on 19s and ride was fine, i knew it would be firm and wanted firm so was happy enough.
Agreed 3.0d is better, but my wife rarely goes much over the speed limit ! So 2.0d is perfect for her and the economy and resale should hopefully be better!!

I suppose the se suspension will probably be better for her also and the baby we're planning to have! If it was for me I would only consider m-sport suspension!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano802 View Post
Sorry, been up north for a couple of days!

Nothing happened because the advert described the car as "mint condition" and it was not mint. Why do people do that!! its a pain in the arse! Watford to Reading and back at 9am on a Sunday morning with 4 hours sleep and a stinking hangover!!!!!

Also in the meantime my wife has decided that the Freelander 2 is a bit too "rugged" for her, which i probably agree seeing as we have absolutly no intention of ever going offroad!!

So now we are looking at an X3 and are going to go down the AUC dealer route as we are prepared to pay the premium to have the dealer backup!

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_d...PE12080WA53545

Its certainly not cheap or a blinding deal but seems to be the right money with a £1000 discount, and my wife loves it!

I've never driven one but from what I've read it's good this has the M-sport suspension deletion.
They shouldn't do that should they say the car is mint and it isn't!!

Oh well as long as you're getting sorted and your wife is happy. Maybe the X3 would be better if it's going to be purely a road car?

You need to send her on a trackday or something and give her a thirst for speed.
Appreciate 0