E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > catless headers (Gutted )

02-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

catless headers (Gutted )

just got my headers out today to gut my primaries got all the crap out of the cats. going to pick up gasket and a exhaust clamp tm and i should be good to go.

secondaries are deleted too. cant wait to hear these burbles. posting this now cause when ever i do something tedious someone always chimes in and tells me too take care of this while ur at it so if you have any suggestions pls lmk
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #2
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Suggestions:

- Be sure you reinstall right.
- Be sure phone is charged.
- Be sure to record an awesome clip.
- Be sure to give feedback whether it's good or bad!
For sure I'll be updating this post Bmw PE + Secondary cat delete on n51 ( Video ) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336678
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

sounds pretty good
Appreciate 1
David0ff1059.00
      02-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post
sounds pretty good
I'm assuming your throwing Cat codes now? Or do you have other underlying issues? I see a SES on the dash.
Cats but also had a misfire on coil 2
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sounds pretty good
I'm assuming your throwing Cat codes now? Or do you have other underlying issues? I see a SES on the dash.
Cats but also had a misfire on coil 2
Ses went away? Not sure how or why I got no cats
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

Is this on the stock muffler?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boro92 View Post
Is this on the stock muffler?
No it's a pe with secondary's deeted
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
just got my headers out today to gut my primaries got all the crap out of the cats. going to pick up gasket and a exhaust clamp tm and i should be good to go.

secondaries are deleted too. cant wait to hear these burbles. posting this now cause when ever i do something tedious someone always chimes in and tells me too take care of this while ur at it so if you have any suggestions pls lmk
I was told somewhere (I can't recall what thread) that it would be best to weld in a pipe to eliminate turbulence...
Digging the raw sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yes its true. When the exhaust gasses hit the large void where the cats used to be, they expand - this causes the gasses to cool which also makes them slow down. This hurts exhaust gas velocity (which already isn't that great with stock manifolds).

Reduced velocity means reduced torque. The common misconception is that reduced backpressure reduces torque but it's often confused with what is really poor exhaust velocity (otherwise stick a potato in your exhaust and see what happens).

So while gutting cats sounds like an obvious answer for cheap performance, it actually does the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yes its true. When the exhaust gasses hit the large void where the cats used to be, they expand - this causes the gasses to cool which also makes them slow down. This hurts exhaust gas velocity (which already isn't that great with stock manifolds).

Reduced velocity means reduced torque. The common misconception is that reduced backpressure reduces torque but it's often confused with what is really poor exhaust velocity (otherwise stick a potato in your exhaust and see what happens).

So while gutting cats sounds like an obvious answer for cheap performance, it actually does the opposite.
Thank you for reiterating and giving an actual explanation as to why.
Now I know a lil' more not just "you should..."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

To be honest it's a 328 it isn't going anywhere lol . I like the way my rice mobile sounds now

As long as I'm reading right I'm not gaining any performance I'm losing correct?

Edit #2 or I read completely wrong and you guys are telling me to weld and not use a clamp?

Ahh took a minute. You guys are saying not to gut but replace the cat with 3" pipe
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #12
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest it's a 328 it isn't going anywhere lol . I like the way my rice mobile sounds now

As long as I'm reading right I'm not gaining any performance I'm losing correct?

Edit #2 or I read completely wrong and you guys are telling me to weld and not use a clamp?
Ah.
So what we are saying (and I'm trying to word this as best as I can.)
You need to weld in a pipe inside of the cat from opening (exhaust manifold to cat) to opening (cat to downpipe).
I tend to overword complicate my sentences... I hope this is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Quote:

Ah.
So what we are saying (and I'm trying to word this as best as I can.)
You need to weld in a pipe inside of the cat from opening (exhaust manifold to cat) to opening (cat to downpipe).
I tend to overword complicate my sentences... I hope this is sufficient.
Got it . Pipe in the cat straight through .. wish I did it before hand . Will take a look at it again when the weather gets nice again. Going to pick up mtech bumpers today or I would have pulled em today
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it . Pipe in the cat straight through .. wish I did it before hand . Will take a look at it again when the weather gets nice again. Going to pick up mtech bumpers today or I would have pulled em today
You're good.. I mean having a catless setup is dandy and all. But as hass stated, its degrading your performance in its current state.. it is a 328 and you may think it doesnt go, but going from it to a family members car when I fly home on leave, or my girlfriend's car, they are gutless compared to it.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're good.. I mean having a catless setup is dandy and all. But as hass stated, its degrading your performance in its current state.. it is a 328 and you may think it doesnt go, but going from it to a family members car when I fly home on leave, or my girlfriend's car, they are gutless compared to it.

Best of luck!
Ok cool . Ya true lol even going from my sisters e90 to my e92 is a huge difference. Thank you appreciate it !
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

these are a catless manifold, not headers haha.

how much did you pay to have your cats gutted? is it worth the sound and performance?

headers are better because the tubing provides better exhaust scavenging. do you think this is worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post

how much did you pay to have your cats gutted? is it worth the sound and performance?

headers are better because the tubing provides better exhaust scavenging. do you think this is worth it?
Didn't pay much had a friend help me was supposed to pay for welding but didn't end up opening the cat
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #18
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The performance aspect you're asking about is degraded by the turbulence in the hollowed space where the cat used to be.
Not worth the aggressive sound IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #19
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The performance aspect you're asking about is degraded by the turbulence in the hollowed space where the cat used to be.
agreed.. maybe if the hollow space had a straight pipe instead it would be ok, but its best to just install headers.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Performance degradation for sound is....
Whatever.
Do it!
never. it's either headers or I keep my cats. I'm not hacking apart my manifold and making barely any power for more sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Would this also be true for my secondary's cause I gutted those too . @hassmachine
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #22
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yes. Void spaces and sudden volume transitions in an exhaust are a bad thing.

IMO, either leave it alone or replace it with a pipe or resonator.
Appreciate 0